Air Conditioning Troubleshooting

Doesn't sound like your issue, but when I got my TJ is had piss poor AC. Weird symptoms though, I would have cool AC as first and then it would warm up when the engine did. I changed out my blend door actuator and that turned out to be the issue.

My mechanic (ex-Mechanic now), told me it was the compressor. So I spent $600 buying Chinese crap compressor and new o-rings throughout the system in the Engine bay, just to have AC for 3 days, then it crapped out again. So, I called the mechanic and he said it was probably the evaporator then. NO SH— Sherlock! So, I’m not paying him to fix it. I haven’t got to it. I’m still venting and that was a year ago. I just want to have AC in the summer if you know what I mean. Seems I’m not destined to have it. The job actually scares me a bit.

Seriously, scared me too but its really simple to get your head around and WHY did you buy a chinese Compresser for $600 when Denso's are $200 or so at Rockauto?

Anyway..... It's just tubes and radiators with a pump that pumps the gas around the system, from what I've discovered "mostly" the core for the Air conditioning in the heater box hardly goes south as it has gas in it and not water like the heater core. However, you can check with some air going in and out of it once you disconnect the hoses.

So check the hoses have no holes in them (you can take most of them off really quickly and throw some air through them) The your left with the compressor (it's new) and the condenser. So I'd say check everything then if you find nothing, replace the condenser and the orifice tube cause it's a couple of bucks, it's at the end of the pipe that goes to the condenser (mine was partially blocked). Check the valves are good or replace cause they are cheap.

Regas enjoy.

WHY did you buy a chinese Compresser for $600 when Denso's are $200 or so at Rockauto?
I tried and the guy said, This isn’t a hobby shop! He wouldn’t let me supply my own parts. He got it from Napa. The $600 was parts and labor. I need to study the AC system to understand the rest of your post. Thanks. Maybe it’s just a tube!

When I add refrigerant it cools for about 1 day. I ran dye through the system but didn’t find any escaped in the engine bay.

so is it common to buy a 2005 X and not have AC? i had a pre purchase inspection and mechanic said belt was missing and AC not working. i called the owner who was going to talk to his mechanic at the shop and they said the AC faceplate button is missing but there is an option to install. or is the owner bull shitting me and not wanting to fix ?

he says that some of the trim X had AC as an option.

so is it common to buy a 2005 X and not have AC? i had a pre purchase inspection and mechanic said belt was missing and AC not working. i called the owner who was going to talk to his mechanic at the shop and they said the AC faceplate button is missing but there is an option to install. or is the owner bull shitting me and not wanting to fix ?

he says that some of the trim X had AC as an option.
Get the VIN number, run it here and check the Build Sheet Specs

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-can-i-tell-what-factory-options-came-with-my-tj.3088/

It says the site is down.
Someone help this guy. There’s a way to get the Build Sheet when the site is down, but I can’t remember how.

On this Jeep, is everything there but the belt and the HVAC controls?

Not sure how common no AC is on X trim

AC is an option, some have it, some didn't. Its technicly an option on the new JL too, but I haven't seen one without.

It's never economical to add it unless you have a full parts vehicle of similar year.

When I add refrigerant it cools for about 1 day. I ran dye through the system but didn’t find any escaped in the engine bay.

When you say engine bay did you check all around the condenser with a black light? If you have and there is no trace of the dye in the engine compartment then your leak is most likely under the dash but to loose the entire charge in a day you would most likely smell it. Another place to check for dye is the drain tube for the evaporator on the firewall, if the evaporator is leaking it will usually leave traces of dye there.

Reactions: JMT
Look for a vacuum tube under the battery box area. Plug it in to the firewall if it has pulled out.