Air set up for garage

Shane Mckinley

Zipman35
Supporting Member
Ok so I wasn’t quite sure where I wanted to put this. So this is where it went @Chris if need be move it please

I’m looking into getting setup for air tools in the garage. From what I can tell about 30 gal is the way to go moving a max of CFM considering my son would be using it for painting and sanding quite a bit. That being said impact and inflation should be easy for this

Is that over kill?

Ultimately I’m thinking hammer, inflation, ratchet, drill, grinder, and sander

I thought I might be able to get into a basic setup for about $500 but that size compressed is going to add about an extra $150 on there

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone ha e a setup they can tell me they run the above efficiently with?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Have you considered a used compressor ?

I use this Kobalt it's a 2005 model. This compressor wasn't working - I got it for 100 bucks and put 200 in it to get it going.

I was told by a Kobalt compressor employee that most compressors like this one fail because users don't keep the cyl head bolts torqued to 20 lbs. I installed a.new head gasket and fittings and hose

I would consider checking the used compressor market. this one
20180731_152213.jpg
is more than I need but got a decent deal..

Reactions: Steven_Olson
Figure out which air tool you own that uses the most CFM. Most are rated at 90psi. If you can afford it, look for a compressor that will exceed your tool that consumes the most CFM and also the highest duty cycle, with 100% being ideal.

12cfm@90psi - 80-100% duty cycle would be a good place to start.

and x2 on the posts above, if you plan on painting get the air dryer and do no use an oiler, just keep the tools oiled.

I lucked into an Industrial Model. 80 gal, 5 horse. It will regen and shut off while I'm using my blast cabinet. I don't remember the specs off the top of my head, but its a monster. This is the day I got it...
MsPoPYxNPigsBcd_iC8So2POWOR2fmaKBi1J0JZtkJoYMkSkJWQJN3PSxtieJvo_Cphl7dlcIku8TcdsSI=w1224-h918-no.jpg

Reactions: PCO6 and Daryl
I have a son with a ‘98 s10 he will be sanding and painting. He also does metal wood and leather work. So this will get used.

I’m a little torn between the constant need from those grinding sanding spraying things needing the 20-30 gal is that enough??

I know the torpedo ones have a quick recovery for things like impact and ratcheting which is where my use will be more often rotating tires and working on the Jeep and car

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I bought a 21 gallon model from Harbor Freight. It’s not used everyday and does what I need but is really loud. I usually turn it on and leave the garage. Just something to think about.

I do have a couple
Options for rooms. However one is a mud room and the other is a smaller utility room which space concerns me some. Hmmm noise will be an issue then

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I have a son with a ‘98 s10 he will be sanding and painting. He also does metal wood and leather work. So this will get used.

I’m a little torn between the constant need from those grinding sanding spraying things needing the 20-30 gal is that enough??

I know the torpedo ones have a quick recovery for things like impact and ratcheting which is where my use will be more often rotating tires and working on the Jeep and car

2005 RHD TJ Sportck
2010 BMW 528xi

20-30 would be small for what you want, I'd go 60gal myself. Here in Canada I bought a porter cable for 700 bucks that was 5hp 60 gal. If you look around you should be able to find one for a half decent price somewhere.

I suppose the recommendations in the box box retail place aren’t true to form?

These certainly seem like they “should” do the trick

502484335756547972fbcf5d23f99208.jpg

e77050e994fca6b69789c877aca86fdb.jpg

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

From what I’ve researched about 50/50 when looking at what’s available from the big box type stores.

we won’t be using multiple tools at one time either

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi