Air won't come out of vents? Read this!

The smoke machine was a disaster. The only thing I accomplished was ruining a soldering iron and burning my hand.

Sure enough, it was a vacuum leak. The line had a hole in it near the canister. I don’t know how I missed it when I checked over the line.

I was convinced it was the actuator... I replaced one only to discover that there was no change in the issue. To top it off, I managed to break one of the door levers arms on the plenum in the process (that was an exciting fix). But it was a leak just like everyone said.

Some boys learn by reading, some boys learn by watching and some boys just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. 🙄

The smoke machine was a disaster. The only thing I accomplished was ruining a soldering iron and burning my hand.

Sure enough, it was a vacuum leak. The line had a hole in it near the canister. I don’t know how I missed it when I checked over the line.

I was convinced it was the actuator... I replaced one only to discover that there was no change in the issue. To top it off, I managed to break one of the door levers arms on the plenum in the process (that was an exciting fix). But it was a leak just like everyone said.

Some boys learn by reading, some boys learn by watching and some boys just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. 🙄

Glad to hear you figured it out at least!

Here's a head scratcher for you guys. I get airflow from all vents, but on a really windy day I'll sometime lose airflow for a bit. I think it's probably something with the blend door but the windy conditions outside make for a pressure differential in the cab and it closes something off.

Here's a head scratcher for you guys. I get airflow from all vents, but on a really windy day I'll sometime lose airflow for a bit. I think it's probably something with the blend door but the windy conditions outside make for a pressure differential in the cab and it closes something off.
My thought is to try to eliminate the windy conditions. 😉

Does that happen on all blower settings?

My thought is to try to eliminate the windy conditions. 😉

Does that happen on all blower settings?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tried calling the weatherman but he wouldn't cooperate.

And yea, happens on all settings. But again, only on exceptionally windy days while driving so it's nothing more than a mild annoyance at this point. Still quite the mystery though.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tried calling the weatherman but he wouldn't cooperate.

And yea, happens on all settings. But again, only on exceptionally windy days while driving so it's nothing more than a mild annoyance at this point. Still quite the mystery though.
A pressure difference would still only be known through a vacuum leak, right?!

Does the vacuum system also control turning the AC compressor on and off? Mine only blows through the defrost and it appears that the compressor is on no matter where I put the selector switch.

To my knowledge the compressor turning on and off isn’t controlled by the vacuum system. I’ve also been wrong before.

Mine was a vacuum leak

I was installing some front off-road lights and broke the vacuum line that runs directly into the firewall next to the heater core lines. It broke right at the entry point so not really a way to splice it. Any ideas?

I was installing some front off-road lights and broke the vacuum line that runs directly into the firewall next to the heater core lines. It broke right at the entry point so not really a way to splice it. Any ideas?

Is there a grommet there?? Can you take a pic? Pic would help. My thought was to pull the line from the cab into the engine bay, assuming there is some play in the line.

Is there a grommet there?? Can you take a pic? Pic would help. My thought was to pull the line from the cab into the engine bay, assuming there is some play in the line.

There is somewhat of a grommet. The line broke just before it enters the firewall. I was able to piece it back together somewhat and put some electrical tape around it. Not sure how long it will hold. It would be nice if I could get the line to pull out a little more from the firewall.

There is somewhat of a grommet. The line broke just before it enters the firewall. I was able to piece it back together somewhat and put some electrical tape around it. Not sure how long it will hold. It would be nice if I could get the line to pull out a little more from the firewall.

Is there access from inside the cab? If so you could cut it on both sides and add a new piece (10-12”) that passes through the grommet, then splice on each side.

When mine would quit blowing, the blower fan was making all kinds of racket. Turns out the squirrel cage was full of leaves that got down into the ducting from the cowl vent.

It seems this issue comes up from time-to-time, and it's very common among TJ owners. This happens even on my TJ from time to time. I'll get in the car, start it up, then go to turn the air to blow on my face (instead of my feet) or some other position, and air won't come out anywhere but my feet or the defrost setting.

There's a few reasons this can happen.

Your blend door is stuck
If that is the case, see this post here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/air-wont-come-out-of-vents.2034/#post-23747

You have a vacuum leak
If that is the case, see this post here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/air-wont-come-out-of-vents.2034/#post-103618

Those are the two most common causes for this issue.

If anyone has any input, tips, or suggestions on this subject, please feel free to share them. Just thought we needed a thread about this since it is fairly common on TJs.

So grateful for this site! I'm just an average housewife with an old 2005 TJ that needs help time to time. I can always find the solution to whatever the latest issue is, on this site. Thank you!

Reactions: Chris
You have a vacuum leak

I did. I finally found the leak, the line was broken right where it goes into the firewall. When I found it it broke off completely. I took it somewhere and the guy really carefully threaded a screw into the remains in the firewall and was able to pull it out intact thus avoiding having to pull the dash apart to get at it from the inside.

Reactions: Chris
So grateful for this site! I'm just an average housewife with an old 2005 TJ that needs help time to time. I can always find the solution to whatever the latest issue is, on this site. Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear that!

old thread, but it would seem that if an under hood vacuum leak in one of the lines is suspected, it seems to me that it would be easier and less time consuming just to go buy new line and run all new stuff. if a line has a crack/break, id suspect its old and brittle and the line needs replaced....thats just my opinion though, your mileage may vary