Airbag idiot light?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So I swapped seats. And did not reconnect the wiring to the drivers seat. So my airbag light stays on. That's just an idiot light right? The airbag is on as long as I have the key positioned to on and the red light on the airbag switch is not red. Correct?

My understanding is that if that light is illuminated, your airbags won't work.

You're going to have to find someone with an SRS scanner (airbags) or an OBDII scanner with SRS functionality. You can reset the light that way and that should fix things.

My understanding is that if that light is illuminated, your airbags won't work.

You're going to have to find someone with an SRS scanner (airbags) or an OBDII scanner with SRS functionality. You can reset the light that way and that should fix things.

So there is something wrong with my airbag system. Thought it was weird that it happened after I put new seats in. Weird thing was the day it came on. I had two huge cases of water and a case of dog food on my passenger seat. I just thought it must think there's a human in the seat. But then it stayed on ever since. I'll have my mechanic look at it.

So there is something wrong with my airbag system. Thought it was weird that it happened after I put new seats in. Weird thing was the day it came on. I had two huge cases of water and a case of dog food on my passenger seat. I just thought it must think there's a human in the seat. But then it stayed on ever since. I'll have my mechanic look at it.

Did you turn on the ignition at any point during the seat install?

Yes. I did one seat. Then about a couple days of driving later got the other seat in.

That's what did it.

If you turn the ignition on (even without the vehicle started) without one seat (or both seats) installed, it triggers an airbag warning since it detects one of the seats isn't there.

That airbag light won't go away until you have it reset. It's one of those stupid safety things.

I'm not sure as to whether or not the airbag will work in case of an accident, but I know for sure the light won't go away without having it reset.

Reactions: 04 LJ
That's what did it.

If you turn the ignition on (even without the vehicle started) without one seat (or both seats) installed, it triggers an airbag warning since it detects one of the seats isn't there.

That airbag light won't go away until you have it reset. It's one of those stupid safety things.

I'm not sure as to whether or not the airbag will work in case of an accident, but I know for sure the light won't go away without having it reset.

Thanks bud.

Reactions: Chris
That's what did it.

I assume he can reset it by disconnecting the battery terminal for 10 min?

Yeah I’d like to know whether that works too, before springing for a code reader...(I’ve got the same problem)

Just an FYI if it doesn’t reset it is detecting a fault somewhere. There are only three components in the SRS system. The bags, the module and the clock spring that will cause the SRS light to trip. Chances of the bags or the module being bad are honestly slim to none, the clock springs are a very common problem. The OEM is no longer available unless you find one sitting on a shelf, I have used a few of the aftermarket options that are available and I have had zero issues with them.

Reactions: lunchbox3
That's what did it.

Interesting. That must be with the 05/06? I never had that problem with my 04.

That's what did it.

The air bag system has no clue if the seat is plugged in. That wire is 100% only for the seatbelt light. Two totally separate systems.

The air bag system has no clue if the seat is plugged in. That wire is 100% only for the seatbelt light. Two totally separate systems.

Gotcha. It was different on previous vehicles I've owned (not Jeeps). In that case, I'm not sure why the OP is experiencing the airbag light!

Interesting. That must be with the 05/06? I never had that problem with my 04.

Looks like I'm wrong! I thought that wire on the passenger seat was an airbag weight sensor (as in if it wasn't plugged in, the weight sensor for the passenger airbag to deploy wouldn't work, thus triggering an error). Looks like I must be wrong though.

Here is the schematic for your air bag system, it takes 25 key cycles for the light to reset if it doesn’t determine a fault. So don’t disconnect the battery, start the Jeep, let it run until the light comes on, turn the Jeep off. Do this 25 times and if it’s still on the control module is detecting a hard fault. You would need a scanner capable of reading SRS codes to see he fault. Most likely it’s the clock spring.

C58798ED-9F1D-41E8-A50B-2B7701FE2812.jpeg

Reactions: lunchbox3
Just an FYI if it doesn’t reset it is detecting a fault somewhere. There are only three components in the SRS system. The bags, the module and the clock spring that will cause the SRS light to trip. Chances of the bags or the module being bad are honestly slim to none, the clock springs are a very common problem. The OEM is no longer available unless you find one sitting on a shelf, I have used a few of the aftermarket options that are available and I have had zero issues with them.

Yeah I had that annoying airbag light also in my 99 I seen where at least I thought it look like there was only three hard components to the airbags set up (bag module and clockspring) airbag in the steering wheel gad A little crack in the cover So I found one pretty cheap ebay took a chance and just want ahead and ordered that figuring it may work or may not at least the crack will be gone.

Of coarse it didn’t help. So being only two pieces left I ordered the most obvious , Clock spring. Popped it in there and poof airbag light was all gone

Yeah I was going to say on mine even after I changed the clockspring and the airbag light went off i’ve had all the seats out and just thrown the driver seat in to use it and it didn’t activate the airbag light.