Alabama AL, TN, and GA: Coppinger Cove Ride

John Cooper

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Trying to get with some folks who have ridden and know Coppinger cove. We road to the river crossing yesterday following another group of Jeeps but we didn't go prepared to ride the cove just to find the entrance. Hopefully we can get a ride up and get @AndyG and @Hog , @Claybirdd and others up this way. Reports I have heard and seen say it's got something for everyone, mild to wild.

This is copied from my conversation with John Cooper on my experience 10/23 at Coppinger Cove.

I don't know of any maps. It is similar to Rubicon Trail in that many of the trails are state or county "roads". I am not knocking the guys that lead the ride because they got us to some cool trails. The problem how to get out of the cove and on to paved roads. There are no trail names or trail numbers which doesn't help. It would be nice to have a seasoned guide.

@mattcogdell might be able to share some pointers on navigating the area. @gasiorv would you share your trip to the cove and how you found your way around?

My only pics.

X_lN12N&tn=3mrSkLmyfrdZbKaK&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

20211023_122709_HDR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Hog and John Cooper
This is copied from my conversation with John Cooper on my experience 10/23 at Coppinger Cove.

I don't know of any maps. It is similar to Rubicon Trail in that many of the trails are state or county "roads". I am not knocking the guys that lead the ride because they got us to some cool trails. The problem how to get out of the cove and on to paved roads. There are no trail names or trail numbers which doesn't help. It would be nice to have a seasoned guide.

@mattcogdell might be able to share some pointers on navigating the area. @gasiorv would you share your trip to the cove and how you found your way around?

My only pics.

View attachment 285918

View attachment 285917
Love those pictures!!!!

We need to get a ride together sometime!

You gonna come back and get us lost?
I will definitely come back and if I am leading, we will definitely be lost. I do have the GPX files from my trip and I think (may be wrong) that there is a GPS app for side by sides that has most of the trails mapped. I can't remember the name of the app, but you actually buy the tablet and the app is installed on the tablet. It supposedly has Tackett Creek mapped out pretty good as well. GAIA GPS app may have some of the trails mapped as well, but you would probably have to get the tracks/routes from someone.

I will definitely come back and if I am leading, we will definitely be lost. I do have the GPX files from my trip and I think (may be wrong) that there is a GPS app for side by sides that has most of the trails mapped. I can't remember the name of the app, but you actually buy the tablet and the app is installed on the tablet. It supposedly has Tackett Creek mapped out pretty good as well. GAIA GPS app may have some of the trails mapped as well, but you would probably have to get the tracks/routes from someone.
Let's keep this going and see what we can do. My wife's cousin has ridden it on 4 wheelers but doesn't know it real good. I may try and hook up with some of the guys at Sequatchie Valley Offroad and see if they can get me hooked up with someone that would help us out.

Ok I spoke with Derrick from Sequatchie Valley Off Road. He has a Facebook (which I dont) page and a website. He know the cove and wheels it a lot, he said we need to pick a time when it's been dry, because of the river crossings, and let him know and he would be glad to lead us.

He also said there is something for everyone, from no lockers to RubiBro's like @AndyG and @Hog.

My old Ohio club likes to head down there, same comment as above… if there is heavy rain, need to go somewhere else due to River crossings
I found out the is another actual OHV park ontop of Mont Eagle mountain. Coalmont Off Road park. It's at the top of the cove and connects with it. Might be something if it does rain to much for the bottom.

I am going to keep digging and talking to folks about this.

Reactions: Hog
Trying to get with some folks who have ridden and know Coppinger cove. We road to the river crossing yesterday following another group of Jeeps but we didn't go prepared to ride the cove just to find the entrance. Hopefully we can get a ride up and get @AndyG and @Hog , @Claybirdd and others up this way. Reports I have heard and seen say it's got something for everyone, mild to wild.
@Claybirdd is definitely looking to get wild to mild. 😛😅