Alarm Anybody

LeePTI

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Seems like adding a Viper perimeter alarm would be a wise investment, but not many posts on the subject.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My personal opinion: unless it pages you, auto alarms seem, to me, useless and more of a nuisance. Ive considered one as well. Then I decided to just keep mine fully insured, which includes theft protection. And the insurance co. is aware that my TJ has add-ons that raise the value. How about a GPS system that tracks yours if it indeed is stolen?

My protection is a cut off switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeePTI
I have one of those viper alarms with perimeter sensor and they are a pain. Hard to get those things set right. Some time mine is too sensitive and alarm goes off just because. Other times even if I stick my hand inside the Jeep nothing. I got tired of it and stopped using it a long time ago. I am planing on removing it.

The only appropriate Jeep alarm:

WV7FVLn_gR45FsbZYl8b_-7K7TMggu7LfgHN7u1U1FKASoew5tC5zr3dZuzsoG8ghv1GroSWCHYL4HDfGty=w309-h548-no.jpg

Just add food and water daily.

Using My TJ as a daily driver, top off, half doors, seems asking for trouble in Vegas. These Vipers well worked for me 30 years ago. Are you all worried about stealing rims, winches, stereo, amps, jacks, etc? Not just the whole Jeep, but accessories. What am I missing? Or is it just where I live, big city...

My personal opinion: unless it pages you, auto alarms seem, to me, useless and more of a nuisance. Ive considered one as well. Then I decided to just keep mine fully insured, which includes theft protection. And the insurance co. is aware that my TJ has add-ons that raise the value. How about a GPS system that tracks yours if it indeed is stolen?

My protection is a cut off switch.

I agree completely. Unless my alarm pages me or kills the ignition for me, it's a waste of money. Car thieves don't even pay attention to alarms these days, neither does anyone else. I can't tell you how many times we're out and about with the family, see (and hear) a car alarm going off, and we don't do anything at all. Everyone just figures someone pressed the wrong button on their remote.

Some of the new alarms have features where you can track the vehicle on an iOS / Android app, and disable the vehicle remotely with the touch of a button in that app. That would be the only alarm I would consider!

I try and leave nothing in the jeep that isn't bolted down in the summer. If I am going offroad I load up my bag of recovery gear. I leave the top and doors off once the rain is gone for the year, but I live in a more rural area than you.

Even though I've had a Jeep stolen, I wouldn't install an alarm if it was given to me for free. No one pays any attention to alarms now so unless you're close enough to hear it, it's not going to do any good. Not to mention professional car thieves know how to disable any of them.

My best advice is 1) Never ever leave anything of value visible in the Jeep. 2) Never lock the doors if you have a soft top, they'll just cut the top open to get inside to see if there's anything worth stealing. 3) If you're going to leave the Jeep parked for a while while you're gone, pull (unplug) the ASD relay out of the Power Distribution Center which will absolutely prevent the ignition from being hotwired to start the engine. The ASD relay is what powers the fuel pump and injectors so if it's not there, the engine can't be started.

If it makes you feel like it is more secure, go for it. But I agree with the others. Don't leave anything you can't live without in the Jeep. Get a bestop under seat lock box and change out your center console to the one that is beefy and locks and pull the ASD switch. I do this when I go out of town or are in iffy areas. Finally, just be smart. Think about where you want to go and if it is really worth it. In the end, if they want your Jeep bad enough, they're going to steal it (even if the ASD switch is removed, they might tow it)...It's a cruel world. In Vegas it's as cruel as it can get!

upload_2017-5-3_12-41-55.jpeg

My best advice is 1) Never ever leave anything of value visible in the Jeep. 2) Never lock the doors if you have a soft top, they'll just cut the top open to get inside to see if there's anything worth stealing.

I learned never to leave anything in mine and also never to lock it way back when I was in high school.

My TJ is never locked but thieves are also very stupid. My OEM top windows got sliced up over night in my driveway and they must have used a dull blade because you could see the plastic windows ripped instead of clean cut. All they had to do was try to open any door as they were not locked lol and see nothing was in there to steal. They did take the OEM canvas owners manual puch, I guess because they thought it was a purse.

I have an $8 TrackR crowd sourced tracking device stashed in my TJ. Works great on cars, bikes, kayaks, keys, etc. Plus if it's stolen, insurance covers it.

I leave doors and glove boxes unlocked. I have a rear trunk for storage. I will be getting some Tuffy products.

Guess I am most concerned over a nice stereo and wheels. Both seem to be a target here with gangs. Minor insurance claims for these items are not worth it.

Work, home, or play... I am rarely more than 1000' from my Jeep. So Viper remote and alarm would alert me. Viper "Step Away" alarm used to be effective as a parking lot thief usually moves on.

My Escalade has been hit several times. Now I am worried about my enhanced TJ being a target...

I just looked in the Viper site and they have an alarm with 1,500 feet 2-way range lcd remote that will display the status.

I installed mine way back when for the same reasons you mentioned. Even though I am in a large metropolitan area I am not in a bad crime area so since 2006 I have only had one break in that I know of lol since I keep it unlocked. In your case having a siren may deter parking-lot thieves. The proximity sensor on mine was not very reliable but it was a long time ago so maybe they have gotten better.

Another thought is you have 15" rims, right? If so, I would think gang thieves would be more interested in larger 20+" rims. Stereo still an issue. You know you're area best. And I bet the alarm installers out there have a good beat on what works! I would be thinking like you if I was in Vegas

A large Hispanic gang from SoCal & SoNev turned used wheels and tires into a big business. Stake bed trucks, 4 guys in back with blocks and jacks can get your tires in a couple of minutes. Once the truck is full, they head out of state.

Their used wheel shops have opened up all over. The shops in SoCal sell stolen wheels from Vegas and Phoenix and visa versa. Police cannot do anything to the shops because they have receipts and the police data based don't sync.

Jeep wheels are not as targeted as the 22's on my 'Slade but I really like my new TJ wheels...
[emoji15]

I thought what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? [emoji12] Sorry, I couldn't resist.
On a serious note, here's a list of the states w the highest auto thefts in the country for 2016. And Nevada isn't listed. Be vigil and enjoy the Jeep. Maybe even etch your rims in the case they are snagged? Here's that list:

http://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...ith-the-highest-rates-of-car-theft-in-the-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk