Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Reactions: Wildman
I'll need to update this thread with moab photos once I get home but I certainly didn't see this issue coming.

Fortunately we weren't planning on wheeling today anyways and leave tomorrow. Question now is do I move the mount forward a hair to get some more wheelbase.
20230505_164215.jpg

I'll need to update this thread with moab photos once I get home but I certainly didn't see this issue coming.

Fortunately we weren't planning on wheeling today anyways and leave tomorrow. Question now is do I move the mount forward a hair to get some more wheelbase.
View attachment 422311

WTF Batman??? WOW

@jjvw how far forward do you think I can move the front bracket before getting into shock and spring issues?

I've seen this probably five times now with people with jks or currie tb's. Seems like a double shear mount would be an easier to make, stronger alternative? If I'm wrong could someone explain why.

View attachment 422311

We were hammering our rigs pretty hard on those exits. It didn’t help.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I've seen this probably five times now with people with jks or currie tb's. Seems like a double shear mount would be an easier to make, stronger alternative? If I'm wrong could someone explain why.

It wasn't a single or a double shear connection that failed. It was the mount attachment at the frame. There is a significant amount of weld surface there from the factory.

Broken track bar mounts are a reason for hydro assist steering because it reduces the transference of steering input through the track bar.

We were hammering our rigs pretty hard on those exits. It didn’t help.

The crack doesn't look fresh in the picture. My suspicion is that this is an older crack. One that predates the hydro assist that finally opened up.

@jjvw how far forward do you think I can move the front bracket before getting into shock and spring issues?

My memory is fuzzy. I think the bump stops were still fine when the axle was pushed forward with the TB mount still in the stock location. Meaning it didn't bother me. After I moved the TB mount forward and the axle about over an inch, then I wasn't liking how they sat. And the springs were in a noticable S shape, especially when compressed.

I don't know if it really mattered. But I didn't like it, so I cut the upper spring seats off the frame and moved them forward at the same time I built the front Fox shock mounts. Definitely one of the more miserable projects I have done to the Jeep.

Mine cracked at both sides of the webbing and at the frame weld.
20201212_140602.jpg

20200829_183146.jpg

That led to the front stretch with an undamaged mount from Blaine and I put a brace between the mount and opposite frame rail. This really tightened up the steering.
20210220_225837.jpg

Two years later, hydro assist goes on tomorrow!
20230417_144937.jpg

Mine cracked at both sides of the webbing and at the frame weld.
View attachment 422346

View attachment 422347

That led to the front stretch with an undamaged mount from Blaine and I put a brace between the mount and opposite frame rail. This really tightened up the steering.
View attachment 422354

Two years later, hydro assist goes on tomorrow!
View attachment 422359

Thanks for the details. I'm more inclined to just weld it back up given I don't really want to move the front shock mounts or springs. I'll let future me deal with that.

You'll love the psc. It's a gamechanger.

Assuming psc gave you a halfway decent pump and you don't go through 4 trying to get a good one.

Reactions: jjvw
The crack doesn't look fresh in the picture. My suspicion is that this is an older crack. One that predates the hydro assist that finally opened up.

That could be. I was looking at it and actually thinking the same thing. Looks a bit to uniform to be fresh.

It wasn't a single or a double shear connection that failed. It was the mount attachment at the frame. There is a significant amount of weld surface there from the factory.

Broken track bar mounts are a reason for hydro assist steering because it reduces the transference of steering input through the track bar.

I just was wondering if the jj has enough misalignment and if with enough travel it maxes out putting stress on the bracket cracking it. The double shear setup could potentially eliminate this problem as well as being able to put more welded connection on the outside of the frame. I have also seen these crack with no hydro assist setups. I think the brace is a great idea, but was just spitballing my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: I have seen stock tb ends shear and that single grade 8 bolt is likely stronger than the factory bracket welds

I just was wondering if the jj has enough misalignment and if with enough travel it maxes out putting stress on the bracket cracking it. The double shear setup could potentially eliminate this problem as well as being able to put more welded connection on the outside of the frame. I have also seen these crack with no hydro assist setups. I think the brace is a great idea, but was just spitballing my thoughts. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: I have seen stock tb ends shear and that single grade 8 bolt is likely stronger than the factory bracket welds

Mine has 12" travel shocks up front. A single Johnny Joint has more misalignment to give than my shocks require. This is not a single shear, double shear problem.

And as already stated, I strongly suspect this crack at the frame predates the hydro assist.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Mine has 12" travel shocks up front. A single Johnny Joint has more misalignment to give than my shocks require. This is not a single shear, double shear problem.

And as already stated, I strongly suspect this crack at the frame predates the hydro assist.

Whoops misread the last post about predating the hydro assist

I used a plasma cutter to take mine off. Much easier than trying to cut and grind it off. First time using one, too!

Reactions: Alex01