Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

After seeing how Scot's rig handled the trail, I'm not so convinced a longer wheel based Jeep is all that appealing. Andrew's LJ, on the other hand, did quite well. Lockers might have had something to do with that though.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
After seeing how Scot's rig handled the trail, I'm not so convinced a longer wheel based Jeep is all that appealing. Andrew's LJ, on the other hand, did quite well. Lockers might have had something to do with that though.
The only thing appealing to me about the JK series (as a dedicated crawler) is the 5th seat belt. Given the choice though of a JKR and LJR both around 15-18k though I would choose the LJ. The ability to have a cooler in the back with the seats down/a spot for the dog to sit is the main benefit in my mind. I would think on a good day to the right person I could get around 15k for my TJ leaving me in the range of an LJR. But then I would need to dump a ton of money into an LJ it just to get where I am now.

My dream would be to find an LJR with a 2-inch lift on 33's and simply swap everything around. (I'm at a minimum 1 year away from being able to seriously consider this)

Perhaps in the future, if I buy a welder and learn to use it I would attempt it. For the fronts, I did 95% of the prep work then towed it a few hours to have the towers welded on/final fitment. (thanks again Jim) I wouldn't feel comfortable using that approach with the rear since it would require a chuck of the frame to be cut out.
I recommend every jeep enthusiast should buy a welder and take a welding course. This should be the first upgrade that should be performed. Once you can manipulate metal, you can upgrade with fewer compromises. Bolt-on can only get you so far.

I have a nice welder in the garage Alex your always welcome to come by and use. I am no expert but would be glad to teach you the basics and let you practice.
I'll likely take you up on that one day. Charlie and Aspen may need a play date.

I'll likely take you up on that one day. Charlie and Aspen may need a play date.

Yup, that would be awesome. We really like when Aspen gets to play with kids her age because we don’t have any around her age in the family.

I also having a tubing bender we can do kink free bends in DOM tubing. That I use to use when making roll cages.

Here is a photo of a mid engined honda powered powered lotus 7 chassis I built. Life actually got very busy and I never finished it.

13F2DE15-05AA-4761-A23F-04F21435C314.jpeg

F3BBF646-64A6-45F6-B41A-3DAE8FF8AA5B.jpeg

Last edited:
I also having a tubing bender we can do kink free bends in DOM tubing. That I use to use when making roll cages.

Here is a photo of a mid engined honda powered powered lotus 7 chassis I built. Life actually got very busy and I never finished it.

View attachment 124749
View attachment 124752
That thing is badass. I hope you find time to reboot the project once life slows down.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Exactly. The margin of error is much lower on the rear. If I was to do it again I would likely just go with the MC 6pak F/R.

After this last run, an LJ build is looking pretty tempting. With the 4 of us and the dog in the jeep, the extra trunk space would have been nice. Maybe in the next few years, I'll find a decently priced LJ and start swapping over parts. Or just bring fewer people along :ROFLMAO:
I think there might be more people not fewer lol

I found some lingering damage from the rubicon (or any other run that flexed the suspension).

Looks like my Jeep has a date with the angle grinder in its future. The shock seems fine so hopefully, I can get away without replacing it.

15743055079782828334242581881442.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney