Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

How many shocks have you owned now in the last year? Hah
In the last 12 months I have owned bilstein 5100s and rancho rs5000xl for a 3.5" lift. For a week I owned the rancho rs5000x for a 2.5" lift but retured them since I didnt want to give up so much down travel. Total I have owned 3 sets. The first set I had was ome nitro sports but they rode like a dump truck.

I'm also on my second set of springs.

I guess technically my jeep also came with stock shocks and springs.

I still am on my first 1997-2006 jeep wrangler though ;)

Reactions: psrivats
With Moab in the future and the realization that renting a uhaul would cost me $600 I decided to start looking for an auto hauler. I started my hunt a few months back and nothing was popping up that seemed like something I could buy at a reasonable price and add value to.

Yesterday after emailing back and forth I picked up my new trailer.

It is a 2007 carson 16ft. 12 ft bed with 4 ft dovetail. It was previously used to haul a gto drag car to the dragstrip. The owner bought it in 2008 and stopped racing in 2009. He had it parked at a commercial building he owned seldomly using it. It needs a new deck, paint, and wiring. I'm going to elect to replace everything electrical so I can be assured if and when it fails I am to blame.

Today I had a small amount of time after work so I took off out the deck of the trailer. I probably won't get to work on it for any length of time until Saturday. On Saturday, weather permitting, I hope to powerwash, wirewheel, and paint.

(A bit of sun fade)

This will be my first time working on a trailer, other then replacing bearings and lights, so I'm excited for a change of pace.

Last edited:
What size are your tires? I might have a spare for you if you need one. One wheel, just tire.
That would be awesome. A spare is on the list of things I want to add to the trailer. I'll let you know the size when I get home. I'm at a class in the city tonight.

I don't have a wheel, I meant to say in my last message, "no" wheel, not one wheel. I'll double check the size at about 7:30 this morning.
I read through the scattered english and figured you meant no wheel just tire :ROFLMAO:

Thanks.

The tire size is 7.00x15. I don't run radials on my trailer. Yours if you want it.
7x15? That sounds like a rim size... I have never heard of a tire size like that.

Alright, so I was able to spend some more time on the trailer today. I started by removing the wheels, de-greasing the frame, and power washing the hell out of it.

After letting it dry I roughed up the paint a bit and sprayed a few (3) cans of gloss black around the perimeter.

The rails had so many angles it was keeping in a bit of water so I decided not to paint the inside until it can sit in the sun (hopefully) and dry tomorrow.

I also stripped off all the wiring / lights and donated them to the nearest trash bin. I ordered all new wires, brake away switch/battery, and lights. Amazon should have them all here by Friday. So my plan now is to finish up paint tomorrow then Friday figure out where I want to put the lights. Saturday I will create the harness for all the wiring. Looks like a rainy weekend so hopefully I can get it done. If I have all the lights working by Sunday I want to take it to the local lumber yard and pick up 11 boards of pressure treated 2x8x16 for the deck.

Which would leave me some time next week bringing it by the muffler shop to have them weld up the angle iron.

Last edited:
Good progress!
Once I get the wiring done I need to test out the brakes. I have never had a trailer with brakes other then a boat trailer with surge brakes so this one is pretty foreign to me. The local Jeep dealer was nice enough to take 15 min out of their day to click a few buttons so my truck will recognize the new oem brake controller I installed. (they also charge me $150 for their troubles.)

The OP installed a 4 pin to operate the lights so the brakes have never been used.

Reactions: tworley
Alright, so I was able to spend some more time on the trailer today. I started by removing the wheels, de-greasing the frame, and power washing the hell out of it. View attachment 76191

After letting it dry I roughed up the paint a bit and sprayed a few (3) cans of gloss black around the perimeter.

The rails had so many angles it was keeping in a bit of water so I decided not to paint the inside until it can sit in the sun (hopefully) and dry tomorrow.View attachment 76192

I also stripped off all the wiring / lights and donated them to the nearest trash bin. I ordered all new wires, brake away switch/battery, and lights. Amazon should have them all here by Friday. So my plan now is to finish up paint tomorrow then Friday figure out where I want to put the lights. Saturday I will create the harness for all the wiring. Looks like a rainy weekend so hopefully I can get it done. If I have all the lights working by Sunday I want to take it to the local lumber yard and pick up 11 boards of pressure treated 2x8x16 for the deck.

Which would leave me some time next week bringing it by the muffler shop to have them weld up the angle iron.
Great progress!!

Reactions: Alex01