Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

They have a bit of a grey tint when off but are white when on.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Once I get the wiring done I need to test out the brakes. I have never had a trailer with brakes other then a boat trailer with surge brakes so this one is pretty foreign to me. The local Jeep dealer was nice enough to take 15 min out of their day to click a few buttons so my truck will recognize the new oem brake controller I installed. (they also charge me $150 for their troubles.)View attachment 76204
The OP installed a 4 pin to operate the lights so the brakes have never been used.
Biggest thing to remember when towing with electric brakes is to set the gain every time the load changes. Go about 25 mph and slide the slider all the way to the right (by hand). That will apply the trailer brakes only. You want them on the verge of locking up...If they lock up fully, decrease the gain. If they don't chirp a little, increase the gain. (gain is adjusted with the +/- buttons. So...You want to adjust for an empty trailer, then adjust again when the jeep is loaded. Your owners manual for the truck should detail the process too.

Reactions: Alex01
Biggest thing to remember when towing with electric brakes is to set the gain every time the load changes. Go about 25 mph and slide the slider all the way to the right (by hand). That will apply the trailer brakes only. You want them on the verge of locking up...If they lock up fully, decrease the gain. If they don't chirp a little, increase the gain. (gain is adjusted with the +/- buttons. So...You want to adjust for an empty trailer, then adjust again when the jeep is loaded. Your owners manual for the truck should detail the process too.
Thanks for the tip. I certainly don't want the trailer passing me up on the highway.

Tomorrow was going to be the deck but I'm told San Francisco would be more fun. In my opinion putting a deck on the trailer would be a great family activity :p

So Monday after work I will be getting the wood. Tuesday I have my last class in the city this semster for my financial planning certificate so Wednesday will be install day. If all goes to plan then thursday or friday I will take the trailer to the muffler shop and have them reweld the deck anchors back on.

Tomorrow was going to be the deck but I'm told San Francisco would be more fun. In my opinion putting a deck on the trailer would be a great family activity :p

So Monday after work I will be getting the wood. Tuesday I have my last class in the city this semster for my financial planning certificate so Wednesday will be install day. If all goes to plan then thursday or friday I will take the trailer to the muffler shop and have them reweld the deck anchors back on.

Rainy in the city! Do the deck instead :D

I picked up the boards for the deck today and was able to get 1 installed. The boards are 16ft. I need to do one 12 ft cut and the remaining perfectly fits the dovetail section.

Last edited:
Looks great. Did you go gloss black or satin black? Where did you pick up your lights?
Paint is gloss black. I got all the lights from various sellers on amazon. I cut off the original tabs that hold the side marker lights and fitted some 3/4 flush leds. I finally had it on the road today to get the wood and realized only one of the two brakes are working. I checked the wiring and it looked good so I guess I'll need to dig a bit deeper or pick up a new set.

Im excited to get the rest of the wood on. Its going to look new pretty soon.

Reactions: JMT
Paint is gloss black. I got all the lights from various sellers on amazon. I cut off the original tabs that hold the side marker lights and fitted some 3/4 flush leds. I finally had it on the road today to get the wood and realized only one of the two brakes are working. I checked the wiring and it looked good so I guess I'll need to dig a bit deeper or pick up a new set.

Im excited to get the rest of the wood on. Its going to look new pretty soon.
Yep.....it will be a new trailer.

You can usually get complete backing plate assemblies with all the goodies already attached if you find the magnet or linkage isn't working.

Reactions: Daryl