Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

The sleeve for the tie rod flip finally came in today and I welded it in place. It was a fairly painless process. You drill the knuckle out with a 3/4" bit, weld the sleeve in, and grind the bottom flat. The flipped tie rod raised the TB about 1.5", previously would have been at 16" in the photo, the small change made a massive difference. Lastly, I adjusted the pinion down to 8.5° with the idea I'll lose the floaty feel. With any luck I'll stay vib free and not need a hub kit.

View attachment 186214View attachment 186215View attachment 186216

It feels good to have the jeep back on the ground. Now I just need to weld the bottom brackets for the AR in place, likely run new brake lines since I doubt the stock mounting location will work, and install the vacuum hose to replace the evap line once it arrives.
man that looks nice! strong work

Reactions: Alex01
I test drove the jeep earlier. Up to 80mph, the max I went, there are no vibrations.

man that looks nice! strong work
Thanks, I'm really happy with the results. Anyone with access to welder, grinder, and a drill can do it. Using the sleeve it's a fairly cheap, $30 with shipping, upgrade to do.

That said the cleaner way to do it would be to get a knuckle reemed for the flip.

*and $60 in sway bar raisers.

Last edited:
I'm fond of Stewart's. But there again, only because it works with my particular like of the balance of sweet versus medicinal. A&W is far too sweet but the "root beer" flavor is good. If they could back down the sweet level some, it would be more tolerable to me. Stewart's has a nice balance between the root beer flavor, level of sweetness, and not too medicinal. The only thing that matters is if you like it, not whether I do.
MUG root beer used to be my favorite, they dont make it like they used to though.

Reactions: DrDmoney
MUG root beer used to be my favorite, they dont make it like they used to though.
When I was a kid mug was the only soda I would drink.

Dont drink soda no more tho, fructose is toxic in high concentrations, that and the benzene they add as an antimicrobial preservative is a carcinogen.

When I was a kid mug was the only soda I would drink.

Dont drink soda no more tho, fructose is toxic in high concentrations, that and the benzene they add as an antimicrobial preservative is a carcinogen.
I dont drink it at all actually, I hate carbonation in drinks. That specifically was the only one that I liked.

I test drove the jeep earlier. Up to 80mph, the max I went, there are no vibrations.

Thanks, I'm really happy with the results. Anyone with access to welder, grinder, and a drill can do it. Using the sleeve it's a fairly cheap, $30 with shipping, upgrade to do.

That said the cleaner way to do it would be to get a knuckle reemed for the flip.

Don't forget the $60 for the sway bar mounts.

*and $60 in sway bar raisers.
I’m not entirely sure how blaine does his but he sent me a flip ready knuckle in exchange for my old knuckle and a small fee.

Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
I’m not entirely sure how blaine does his but he sent me a flip ready knuckle in exchange for my old knuckle and a small fee.
And it isn't that I want or need your old knuckle. I just do the exchange so folks don't have to put the rig down waiting for me to get done and ship it back. This way, you can do the swap in a couple of hours.

But, if you don't send me your old knuckle, you're fucking the next guy and when I run out, I'll have to decide to charge a stupid high core charge or quit doing it. I'd almost rather quit than deal with the core charge.

I have literally charged someone a 200 dollar core charge because they seemed a bit flaky. 4 months later they wanted it back. I don't even know who you are after that length of time passes much less why I owe you 200 dollars.

And it isn't that I want or need your old knuckle. I just do the exchange so folks don't have to put the rig down waiting for me to get done and ship it back. This way, you can do the swap in a couple of hours.

But, if you don't send me your old knuckle, you're fucking the next guy and when I run out, I'll have to decide to charge a stupid high core charge or quit doing it. I'd almost rather quit than deal with the core charge.

I have literally charged someone a 200 dollar core charge because they seemed a bit flaky. 4 months later they wanted it back. I don't even know who you are after that length of time passes much less why I owe you 200 dollars.
I figured the old knuckle was for the next guy who wants to do the flip. Really appreciate the way you do that especially for us daily drivers. I should have the knuckle on the way to you by Saturday. Thanks for everything you do for the community!

@BuildBreakRepeat if you decide to pull the trigger on a flip and time it up right maybe you can have a piece of my Jeep on your ride 😂

I had some time over the weekend to look at the rear antirock and cycle the suspension. I am extremely grateful that @mvigo drove over Saturday morning so I could take a look at what @mrblaine did to his jeep and also lent a helping hand to figure out mine. Before he arrived I was thinking I'd need a 1/2" spacer and new wheel studs to clear.

After bending the Antirock arms a bit more so the Heim barely clears the frame while cycling and adding 1/4" worth of washers to the wheels to act as temporary spacers the link cleared the tire on full articulation.

All I can say is @mrblaine is a magician (wizard). @mvigo and I have, more or less, identical setups in terms of tire size, lift height, midarm, wheel backspacing, etc but Blaine was able to make his work with less bend on the arms and no spacers.

Once the spacers come in I'll do a final test before burning in the mounts.

0.jpg

I had some time over the weekend to look at the rear antirock and cycle the suspension. I am extremely grateful that @mvigo drove over Saturday morning so I could take a look at what @mrblaine did to his jeep and also lent a helping hand to figure out mine. Before he arrived I was thinking I'd need a 1/2" spacer and new wheel studs to clear.

After bending the Antirock arms a bit more so the Heim barely clears the frame while cycling and adding 1/4" worth of washers to the wheels to act as temporary spacers the link cleared the tire on full articulation.

All I can say is @mrblaine is a magician (wizard). @mvigo and I have, more or less, identical setups in terms of tire size, lift height, midarm, wheel backspacing, etc but Blaine was able to make his work with less bend on the arms and no spacers.

Once the spacers come in I'll do a final test before burning in the mounts.

View attachment 187413
Not much magic involved, just patience and trial and error. One thing to be very aware of is the link end must not be able to be pushed under the frame. It is common to suck up a rock with a rear tire and have it cycle around and tear shit up. You don't want the arm to be able to be bent inward and shove the rod end under the frame.

Not much magic involved, just patience and trial and error. One thing to be very aware of is the link end must not be able to be pushed under the frame. It is common to suck up a rock with a rear tire and have it cycle around and tear shit up. You don't want the arm to be able to be bent inward and shove the rod end under the frame.
I remember you mentioning that earlier and made sure at full droop the Heim does not go below the frame rail.

I got the lower mounts burned in last night and rerouted the brakes to the front of the axle. All that's left is to add the bump stops and take it for a test drive. I'm looking forward to driving a jeep again instead of feeling like I'm in a boat. (Shock bolt loose because I had to install the springs still when the photo was taken)
20200903_211425.jpg
20200903_230903.jpg