Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

@Alex01 I need to find the time to go through your entire build thread but the more I see these outboard suspension setups, the more I want a similar setup no my TJ!

Dangers of welding in flip-flops include burning off two toes on your right foot.
Screenshot_20200904-112527.png

@Alex01 I need to find the time to go through your entire build thread but the more I see these outboard suspension setups, the more I want a similar setup no my TJ!
The outboard is a fun project. It took a few days with the help of @Midnight LJR most of which was spent cycling the suspension and making minor changes with a grinder to make sure the mount sat correctly. It's a balance between the tires rubbing the shock at full articulation and the shock body clearing the bottom of the poly tower at full droop. (the other side at full articulation). If you're comfortable cutting a hole in the frame and welding though it really isn't that terrible of a task but does require an OCD level attention to detail. From what I've seen you do I don't think it would be out of your wheelhouse.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
The outboard is a fun project. It took a few days with the help of @Midnight LJR most of which was spent cycling the suspension and making minor changes with a grinder to make sure the mount sat correctly. It's a balance between the tires rubbing the shock at full articulation and the shock body clearing the bottom of the poly tower at full droop. (the other side at full articulation). If you're comfortable cutting a hole in the frame and welding though it really isn't that terrible of a task but does require an OCD level attention to detail. From what I've seen you do I don't think it would be out of your wheelhouse.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this performs in Moab compared to my stock setup! Yeah I have no issues cutting into my frame and welding either, I just need to make sure I understand everything I need to account for before trying to tackle this type of upgrade!

Reactions: Alex01
I buttoned up the AR install and took the jeep for a 30 mile test drive. The difference with and without a sway bar is night and day. At this point I think it's safe to say I'm done touching my suspension for a good amount of time.

As an added bonus the CEL for the EVAP system hasn't returned yet.
20200904_204509.jpg

Parking lot poser shot
20200904_201825.jpg

I buttoned up the AR install and took the jeep for a 30 mile test drive. The difference with and without a sway bar is night and day. At this point I think it's safe to say I'm done touching my suspension for a good amount of time.

As an added bonus the CEL for the EVAP system hasn't returned yet.
View attachment 188076
Parking lot poser shotView attachment 188078
Fucking crushed that curb stop brah !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Indy
I got @Chris's former bumper installed. Thanks for the awesome packing job, the bumper came in perfect condition. The only thing I had to do to the bumper was add the hardcore corner guards. I also switched out the KC day lighters for ridged 3" floodlights. I still have a new TRE flare lead on its way so I can remount my front license plate and reinstall the winch cable. (Finally used my ROTM gift card)

Old:
20200808_140020.jpg

New:
20200913_213852.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing how good the Savvy bumper makes them look.

I think the worst part of installing these bumpers is getting the winch on, honestly :LOL:

Oh, and someone needs a Savvy tie-rod, if only for the bling factor ;)

Amazing how good the Savvy bumper makes them look.

I think the worst part of installing these bumpers is getting the winch on, honestly :LOL:

Oh, and someone needs a Savvy tie-rod, if only for the bling factor ;)
Winch was a PITA but the steering pump skid was worse. I should have put it on before I reattached the bumper but didn't. I should have just removed the 10 bolts and moved it forward but I was too stubborn.

As far as the savvy tie rod goes I'd rather bend a rod before breaking a knuckle.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Winch was a PITA but the steering pump skid was worse. I should have put it on before I reattached the bumper but didn't. I should have just removed the 10 bolts and moved it forward but I was too stubborn.

As far as the savvy tie rod goes I'd rather bend a rod before breaking a knuckle.

I haven't looked to see how the steering pump skid is attached, is it really that bad, or just something that should be done before the bumper goes on? Is it easier with the bumper off then I take it?

Yes, I hear you on the knuckle. I don't think I would have done it myself, but since mine came with it, I'll keep it. It does look really good though in raw aluminum (y)

I guess it's just easier to be part of the bent Currie club like @tworley.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I haven't looked to see how the steering pump skid is attached, is it really that bad, or just something that should be done before the bumper goes on? Is it easier with the bumper off then I take it?

Yes, I hear you on the knuckle. I don't think I would have done it myself, but since mine came with it, I'll keep it. It does look really good though in raw aluminum (y)

I guess it's just easier to be part of the bent Currie club like @tworley.
It's time consuming but not hard. The tough part was the two nuts that go inside the bumper. What worked nicely though was that I had some spare home electrical wiring that I took the ground wire out of. I wrapped the wire around the nut and that gave me enough control to get it where I needed it. I wish I thought of it earlier because once I did that I had it bolted up in a minute.

Reactions: Chris
It's time consuming but not hard. The tough part was the two nuts that go inside the bumper. What worked nicely though was that I had some spare home electrical wiring that I took the ground wire out of. I wrapped the wire around the nut and that gave me enough control to get it where I needed it. I wish I thought of it earlier because once I did that I had it bolted up in a minute.

Here's how Dave installed mine.

104908107_1973415769457437_25307977724276010_n.jpg
104639883_1973415976124083_8115053180505387998_n.jpg
104536333_1973416002790747_3313025121329960044_n.jpg
104412652_1973416049457409_1049874932477494685_n.jpg

Not sure I could get the two nuts on the inside of the bumper on with the bumper actually installed on the Jeep, but I'm impatient. I just bolt the skid up to the bumper and then slide everything on. Then it is pretty easy to get the side bar in place and the nut inside the frame on.

How many people do you know who have broken a knuckle?
Zero, but @mrblaine has stated he created that one because people were complaining about bending rods and that that one was so strong that it would break a knuckle before bending the rod. If I had to choose a fuse I'd rather have it be the tie rod.

Last edited:
For my steering skid I just tapped threads in my bumper so no nuts.