Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

That may be the route I go. I need to measure the backing plate and check the size. I would guess 10 inch. I wired it the same way it was previously. (the right side wiring goes through the axle and connects to the left. After they all connect 2 wires exit the loom one ground one brake?) I assume the 2 wires aren't both brake signal wires from what I see but I can take some close ups and maybe somebody with more knowledge then myself can look. The OP said he never used the brakes so I would assume they are rusty or seized. I need to pull the drum and inspect.

They can seize up with non-use.
I'll try and find some time today when I get home and pull the drum. Hopefully its something easy that just needs some lube. I want to sort out the brake issue before putting the whole deck on so I don't lose my ease of access.

I think I found my brake problem

Looking good! Check with Capitol Clutch & Brake out of West Sac. Ask for Ryan and tell him Jim from the Co. of Lake sent you. Measure the inside drum diameter and shoe width.

Reactions: Alex01
I’ve been enjoying the trailer restore! You’re getting it done fast. I can tell you’re one of those people who once he starts wants to finish. Nice work!

I replaced the backing plate on both sides of the axle over the weekend, wired them up, and tested them yesterday. Man, what a difference with both brakes working. I'm not sure if it's because one side wasn't working or the combo that the other side wasn't doing as well as a job as a new set but, I can really feel the brakes pulling the truck to a stop at 25 mph while using the test function. Tomorrow I will drop it off at the local muffler shop and have them weld the angle iron back on.

The first test with the jeep on the deck will be driving up to lakeport to meet up with @bobthetj03 and extend my front shock mounts.

Jim, would you recommend metal clock arms over (or equally) to currie? I need to adjust my front uppers back another .5" or so to clear the diff cover and fix the pinion angle on the drivers side. I saw that the MC go down to 14.5" while my RE's only go down to 15.25. I like the idea of the hex shape since it seems like it would be easier to adjust then curries rounded arms.

Last edited:
I replaced the backing plate on both sides of the axle over the weekend, wired them up, and tested them yesterday. Man, what a difference with both brakes working. I'm not sure if it's because one side wasn't working or the combo that the other side wasn't doing as well as a job as a new set but, I can really feel the brakes pulling the truck to a stop at 25 mph while using the test function. Tomorrow I will drop it off at the local muffler shop and have them weld the angle iron back on.

The first test with the jeep on the deck will be driving up to lakeport to meet up with @bobthetj03 and extend my front shock mounts.

Jim, would you recommend metal clock arms over (or equally) to currie? I need to adjust my front uppers back another .5" or so to clear the diff cover and fix the pinion angle on the drivers side. I saw that the MC go down to 14.5" while my RE's only go down to 15.25. I like the idea of the hex shape since it seems like it would be easier to adjust then curries rounded arms.

I would recommend them equally IMO. I have run both, but now currently have all Metal Cloak arms. Recently serviced the front lowers, and after 35K miles, they look good. Just cleaned, added some fresh grease and back good to go. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice.

I would recommend them equally IMO. I have run both, but now currently have all Metal Cloak arms. Recently serviced the front lowers, and after 35K miles, they look good. Just cleaned, added some fresh grease and back good to go. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice.
Thanks for the insight. I'll go with the MC. Like I said I like how they adjust with a hex opposed to more then likely needed a pipe wrench on the curries.

Looks like the lead time is a week so if I order them now they should be here in plenty of time for me to have installed before heading your direction. I wish I could get the whole kit but at this point I'll probably shoot for replacing them slowly over time.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Thanks for the insight. I'll go with the MC. Like I said I like how they adjust with a hex opposed to more then likely needed a pipe wrench on the curries.

Looks like the lead time is a week so if I order them now they should be here in plenty of time for me to have installed before heading your direction. I wish I could get the whole kit but at this point I'll probably shoot for replacing them slowly over time.

I had to do the same. I started off with front Currie arms, then decided to go with the Cloaks and sold the Curries. I finally just purchased my last 2 lower MC arms during their free shipping sale. I too had to buy them a pair at a time. I really need to win the lotto, lol!

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I had to do the same. I started off with front Currie arms, then decided to go with the Cloaks and sold the Curries. I finally just purchased my last 2 lower MC arms during their free shipping sale. I too had to buy them a pair at a time. I really need to win the lotto, lol!
That lottery money sure would be nice. Maybe I'll start buying some tickets.
Maybe I'll pick up some lowers during their next sale or if we head back to Prairie City for their next event.

Reactions: bobthetj03
That lottery money sure would be nice. Maybe I'll start buying some tickets.
Maybe I'll pick up some lowers during their next sale or if we head back to Prairie City for their next event.

Pick yourself up a half drive 1.5" crows foot wrench. Comes in handy for the jamb nuts.