Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

wouldn't it be more bombproof if the pressure switch was between the clutch and the relay? Asking for a friend.

View attachment 204957

If the replay sticks and the compressor keeps running the fuse will pop I'd hope. I guess you could put the pressure switch inline but I'm not sure there is a good reason to do it that way. How many times have you had a relay stick? I've had them go bad and not work but never stick.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
If the replay sticks and the compressor keeps running the fuse will pop I'd hope. I guess you could put the pressure switch inline but I'm not sure there is a good reason to do it that way. How many times have you had a relay stick? I've had them go bad and not work but never stick.
My arb got stuck on once and I had to manually cut the power but it was actually the pressure switch that failed. At least that's the part ARB sent me and it worked fine ever since.

I was reading somewhere that they recommended changing the oil on the york once a year. Does that sound right? Would you just suck up what you can then fill it back up or would it require removing the york?

It seems to me like that's a strange service interval based on the fact that yorks are used as A/C units....

Different oil and different usage. In the A/C system it is sealed and the oil used is different.

In this capacity you are sucking in dirty air that even though filtered still lets in dirt.
Right!!! All I need now is for someone (not it) to get a ready welder and we can be doing outboards out on the trail. @Midnight LJR come on man.

Dude I have a Ready Welder and a Premier Power Welder to power it with so we can fix just ABOUT anything.

Glad you got it together and hope you enjoy it. So by your guesstimation you'll fill your tires in about half the time?

Reactions: DrDmoney and Daryl
Different oil and different usage. In the A/C system it is sealed and the oil used is different.

In this capacity you are sucking in dirty air that even though filtered still lets in dirt.

Dude I have a Ready Welder and a Premier Power Welder to power it with so we can fix just ABOUT anything.
Sound like if you get your rig back together for Moab you can be the mobile shop.

So for servicing do you remove the York and drain the fluid out or can you just suck it out with an electric, or hand, pump and add fluid back in? The idea of removing the york yearly doesn't seem fun due to the fact the alternator needs to come out first. If it needs to be done so be it but figured I'd ask.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I was reading somewhere that they recommended changing the oil on the york once a year. Does that sound right? Would you just suck up what you can then fill it back up or would it require removing the york?

It seems to me like that's a strange service interval based on the fact that yorks are used as A/C units....
There’s no combustion process gases entering the crankcase and it uses oil. Just keep adding as needed.

There’s no combustion process gases entering the crankcase and it uses oil. Just keep adding as needed.
Good to know. Thanks. How often do you check up on it?

Sound like if you get your rig back together for Moab you can be the mobile shop.

So for servicing do you remove the York and drain the fluid out or can you just suck it out with an electric, or hand, pump and add fluid back in? The idea of removing the york yearly doesn't seem fun due to the fact the alternator needs to come out first. If it needs to be done so be it but figured I'd ask.

I have never need to change the oil as I had to add more oil during the year. If you luck out and that compressor doesn't blow a lot of oil I'd suck it dry every year or approx and refill it. It isn't like your engine where the oil is really getting dirty.

But my system was running a lot more. I smoked one compressor when I cut an air bag and didn't notice right away. The compressor was steaming by the time I got stopped. I'd been running down a trail at MOAB at around 50-55 MPH.

IMGP0448.JPG

Sliced a hole in the side of the bag. Lucky for me there was someone else there who had a spare bag so he gave it to me and I ordered him a new one from ORO.

Last edited:

I have done a few repair jobs either in camp or out on the trail using one of the two welders or both... I also use to carry some air tools with me for repairs just to make some jobs faster. But the welders and OBA are always a hit. Need to get a Harbor Freight drumel to carry since the Premier Power welder also has a 110V plug in. So for small grinding needs.... Hehehe I love having shit...
It's only money.

You gonna sell your ARB compressor?
Not sure yet. I may buy a small box for it and use it as a portable compressor for other vehicles but honestly, I haven't given it much thought. Do you need one?

Not sure yet. I may buy a small box for it and use it as a portable compressor for other vehicles but honestly, I haven't given it much thought. Do you need one?
I was thinking about buying one I could hard mount in the abs tray under the hood. I ran out of co2 yesterday and only got 3 out of 4 tires aired back up. Irritated me! I have a portable one in a bag, but it is with all our RV stuff. It would be nice to have a permanent backup solution, but then again you may want the same option if your york went belly up.

Reactions: Alex01
I was thinking about buying one I could hard mount in the abs tray under the hood. I ran out of co2 yesterday and only got 3 out of 4 tires aired back up. Irritated me! I have a portable one in a bag, but it is with all our RV stuff. It would be nice to have a permanent backup solution, but then again you may want the same option if your york went belly up.
Before the next run, whenever that may be, or if you're in my area, remind me. If I haven't found a good use for it it's yours.

Next time you try to air up your tires or run a air tool rev your engine up to about 1,800 RPMS as that will increase the output of the compressor.

Next time you try to air up your tires or run a air tool rev your engine up to about 1,800 RPMS as that will increase the output of the compressor.
Good thing I have a hand throttle. I'll give it another test later tonight and see how much it decreases the time.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman
I had a moment to myself so I ran out and did another test at around 1,800. It filled up this time just under 50 seconds. Which is a 14 second improvement over idle.

I had a moment to myself so I ran out and did another test at around 1,800. It filled up this time just under 50 seconds. Which is a 14 second improvement over idle.

So just over 3 minutes to fill all 4 tires, not bad not bad at all. And you said it was 2-2.5 minutes for just one tire with the ARB. I know it ain't a BIG deal but it's nice to have IMO and this is my 4th rig I've had OBA on.