Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Personally I like the bit of contrast the black gives, but that is just aesthetics and takes no account of practical issues. All personal choice in the end. Either way you are doing a cracking job and really enjoying the frequent updates / pictures.

Reactions: Alex01
The corners and sliders are primed and ready for paint tonight.

View attachment 228836

I'm still highly leaning towards painting the steel section of the slider body color.

Pros: Looks - scratches will stand out less with silver than black
Cons: not as easy to touch up as ACE brand Semi Gloss.

View attachment 228837View attachment 228838
That's a really tough call. I like how the black slider body matches the bumpers, but the body match looks good too as it offsets the black wheels more. You can't go wrong.

Personally I like the bit of contrast the black gives, but that is just aesthetics and takes no account of practical issues. All personal choice in the end. Either way you are doing a cracking job and really enjoying the frequent updates / pictures.
I'll see how I feel tonight while painting the corners. I'll likely paint them body color since they are already in the queue, then next winter reapply clear to seal the scratches since the silver and bare metal are a fairly close match. They come off with a few bolts so if I don't end up liking the look it's a lot easier to paint them with a black semi rattle can than to set up all the equipment for painting them base.

Painting is a very satisfying job since you get to see instant results. It's fun to share the progress especially because most of the time painting is actually waiting for the next coat to dry. A lot more fun than checking bump stops.

This leads me to... Does anyone want to take bets on whether I'll end up needing to add bump after switching from the MC to the GR fenders? I'll add I now have a RockJock TB so I should be able to move the axle a hair more forward and the limiting factor on the MC was the back of the tire hitting the fender while turning. But, with no adjustments to the control arms what is your guess? - I'll likely be cycling the suspension next week.

I'll see how I feel tonight while painting the corners. I'll likely paint them body color since they are already in the queue, then next winter reapply clear to seal the scratches since the silver and bare metal are a fairly close match. They come off with a few bolts so if I don't end up liking the look it's a lot easier to paint them with a black semi rattle can than to set up all the equipment for painting them base.

Painting is a very satisfying job since you get to see instant results. It's fun to share the progress especially because most of the time painting is actually waiting for the next coat to dry. A lot more fun than checking bump stops.

This leads me to... Does anyone want to take bets on whether I'll end up needing to add bump after switching from the MC to the GR fenders? I'll add I now have a RockJock TB so I should be able to move the axle a hair more forward and the limiting factor on the MC was the back of the tire hitting the fender while turning. But, with no adjustments to the control arms what is your guess? - I'll likely be cycling the suspension next week.
Yes, about 1/3".

I'm thinking that's about right. I'm hoping though once I move the axle forward a hair though that I'll at least be where I was.
The rear of the fender well will be where you rub I think, though it may touch up. Don't let it or you'll mess up your pretty paint job. 😉 Moving the axle forward with the CA's should help you clear.

Yet another painting post. Sliders and corners are body color.

All thats left is the rear fenders flares, aluminum half doors, and savvy tailgate skin/vanity pieces (waiting for savvy to ship).

20210224_221428.jpg
20210224_221637.jpg

HA, you went with silver sliders, nice. Yep its amazing, no matter how many times you paint, its always a pleasure to look at, even if it is the same color. Just when you saw enough in the garage, you take it outside and man it sparkles.

Are you doing a drop coat after you finish your final coat of base? Just curious, it might be the lighting but it looks blotchy on the corner armor.

HA, you went with silver sliders, nice. Yep its amazing, no matter how many times you paint, its always a pleasure to look at, even if it is the same color. Just when you saw enough in the garage, you take it outside and man it sparkles.

Are you doing a drop coat after you finish your final coat of base? Just curious, it might be the lighting but it looks blotchy on the corner armor.
It's just the lighting. They look just as covered in that section as the rest.

Other than the constant stress of thinking stuff will fall or fly into the paint it's pretty fun. I wouldn't say it's easy but I'll say it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. (hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself and the paint doesn't fall off in a few months).

Other than the constant stress of thinking stuff will fall or fly into the paint it's pretty fun. I wouldn't say it's easy but I'll say it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. (hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself and the paint doesn't fall off in a few months).
I know the feeling. Taking a risk painting at night with the garage open 😆 I've had a couple Flys crash land into wet clear and it sucks. I bet these posts will motivate other forum members to paint their armor and aluminum and realize its not so bad after all.

I know the feeling. Taking a risk painting at night with the garage open 😆 I've had a couple Flys crash land into wet clear and it sucks. I bet these posts will motivate other forum members to paint their armor and aluminum and realize its not so bad after all.
Luckily most the stuff that has fallen into the paint was able to be wetsanded away. The corners though are by far the best result so far. This is turning out way better than my previous rattle can job.

If I can do it then most here can. Its definitely intimidating but with patience and good prep it's not bad.

I’ve done a few garage paint jobs before that have turned out great! I always wet the floor with water a bit before I start painting. Just a little tip I’ve learned. Seems to keep the dust down, and attracts some of the overspray.
Now I’m lucky enough to have a buddy who works at a shop with a booth...pretty spoiled with the ventilation system and the bake cycle. 😁