Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I had a bunch of fun building / running the "vigocon" at @mvigo's property. While the trail is short it certainly isn't for those scared of a bit of damage. Durning the trail I found an issue with my exhaust since the muffler was contacting the DS. It's hit in the past but under the extreme
conditions of the vigocon it was apparent it needs to be fixed. More to come on that in the next couple of days.

I also forgot to remove my front license plate and it hooked on a rock ripping the mounting tab off the tre winch side mount.
IMG_4596.jpg
IMG_4609.jpg

20220424_120154.jpg

20220424_140034.jpg
20220424_130831.jpg
20220424_130922.jpg
20220424_164611.jpg
20220424_164616.jpg
20220424_165155.jpg
20220424_170715.jpg
20220424_213019.jpg

Broken bracket.
20220425_194552.jpg

I got some steel from ace hardware, should have done aluminum, and made a new piece since TRE doesn't sell it anymore. Or at least I haven't seen it in stock for a year now when looking for the JL.
20220425_195417.jpg
20220425_211020.jpg
20220425_223348.jpg

Last edited:
1650971332725.png

Every time I see damage to the frame like this I wonder if there is any merit to welding a piece of angle along the outside and bottom edge. I'm thinking something like a 2"x2"x1/8". If clearance under the skid is an issue, the angle could always be notched around it. Just thinking out loud here, but the frames are getting harder and harder to come by, especially here on the East Coast, and anything done to protect them can only help!

Possibly something like this?
https://fastmetals.com/products/2-x-2-x-1-8-hot-rolled-bar-size-angle-astm-a36

View attachment 325748

Every time I see damage to the frame like this I wonder if there is any merit to welding a piece of angle along the outside and bottom edge. I'm thinking something like a 2"x2"x1/8". If clearance under the skid is an issue, the angle could always be notched around it. Just thinking out loud here, but the frames are getting harder and harder to come by, especially here on the East Coast, and anything done to protect them can only help!

It would be better if you had some bent up with a rounded corner. The sharp corner of the angle will bite in hard.

@Alex01, thanks for coming out to the rock party, fun times, and it is nice to be able to have a "shakedown" trail literally in your backyard...I have a feeling the more we run it, the easier it will become from rocks moving around...oh, and all that "damage" will buff out! my tires got chewed up pretty good!

@Alex01, thanks for coming out to the rock party, fun times, and it is nice to be able to have a "shakedown" trail literally in your backyard...I have a feeling the more we run it, the easier it will become from rocks moving around...oh, and all that "damage" will buff out! my tires got chewed up pretty good!
It was a blast. Can't wait to do it again. And ya I bet it'll be tamed down a bit each run. It got way easier after the JK plowed some of rock around.

Forgot to mention. I didn't see it myself but I was told @mrblaine's tierod took a large hit and bent up pretty good. After getting off the obstacle the tierod sprung back to its original position and is as straight as an arrow. Very happy with it. @Midnight LJR you need to put it on the top of your install pile!!! After the sticker of course.
20220426_080833.jpg

It was a blast. Can't wait to do it again. And ya I bet it'll be tamed down a bit each run. It got way easier after the JK plowed some of rock around.

Forgot to mention. I didn't see it myself but I was told @mrblaine's tierod took a large hit and bent up pretty good. After getting off the obstacle the tierod sprung back to its original position and is as straight as an arrow. Very happy with it. @Midnight LJR you need to put it on the top of your install pile!!! After the sticker of course.
View attachment 325804

Alight I’ll move it up below install sticker, and adjust fog lights. That should speed things up.

I had a bunch of fun building / running the "vigocon" at @mvigo's property. While the trail is short it certainly isn't for those scared of a bit of damage. Durning the trail I found an issue with my exhaust since the muffler was contacting the DS. It's hit in the past but under the extreme
conditions of the vigocon it was apparent it needs to be fixed. More to come on that in the next couple of days.

I also forgot to remove my front license plate and it hooked on a rock ripping the mounting tab off the tre winch side mount.
View attachment 325736View attachment 325737

View attachment 325732
View attachment 325723View attachment 325724View attachment 325725View attachment 325726View attachment 325727View attachment 325728View attachment 325729View attachment 325730

Broken bracket.
View attachment 325731
I got some steel from ace hardware, should have done aluminum, and made a new piece since TRE doesn't sell it anymore. Or at least I haven't seen it in stock for a year now when looking for the JL.View attachment 325733View attachment 325734View attachment 325735

I think you need this class " Learn to safely drive offroad without getting stuck or damaging your vehicle." :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO:

https://thedrivingcompany.com/off-road-evoc

nice little barber pole bite on the driveshaft
View attachment 325748

formed like Blaine said, but maybe also bolt on/off, it'd be a PITA to keep sealed tight and need to be attended to during yrly maintenance to keep it from contributing to the trapped moisture issues. or welded on 100%

Reactions: Alex01 and Irun
Forgot to mention. I didn't see it myself but I was told @mrblaine's tierod took a large hit and bent up pretty good. After getting off the obstacle the tierod sprung back to its original position and is as straight as an arrow. Very happy with it.
View attachment 325804
I watched your tie rod bend on a rock, and as you came off of said rock, go right back to its normal straightness...it was cool to see...

View attachment 325736View attachment 325737

View attachment 325732
View attachment 325723View attachment 325724View attachment 325725View attachment 325726View attachment 325727View attachment 325728View attachment 325729View attachment 325730

Broken bracket.
View attachment 325731
I got some steel from ace hardware, should have done aluminum, and made a new piece since TRE doesn't sell it anymore. Or at least I haven't seen it in stock for a year now when looking for the JL.View attachment 325733View attachment 325734View attachment 325735
I know a guy that has access to aluminum if you need some, also your rear DS looks like mine now😳

Reactions: Alex01
I know a guy that has access to aluminum if you need some, also your rear DS looks like mine now😳
Next time we go on a run maybe I'll grab a small amount to remake the mount so it's corrosion-proof.

I'm just happy the grease zerk on the DS got spared. It was 1 ration away from being taken out. Likely a rock on that part of the shaft but the cap has repeatedly been knocked off by the muffler.

I had the pleasure of wheeling with @Lonewolf and @Choptop1954 over the weekend. We headed up north to Fordyce for a day trip since the water level was low, 50cfs, and the other options we looked at were all closed. The trail was a ton of fun and just the type of trip I've been dreaming of since last summer. While the parking lot was a zoo the trail wasn't all that crowded. We ended up turning around at winch hill one since one of the jeeps was starting to leak steering fluid and while diagnosing a group of Toyotas got in front of us and looked like it was going to take a long time for them to get all the rigs up.

What a great trail. Tons of standing water, river crossings, beaches, big rocks, and the armor sure did take a beating. I also ran it without the spare since I'm currently working on making my carrier a bit more stubby so I can get the tire close to the tub. I'm still debating whether I'll put the tire on the back or just keep it inside when the family doesn't come or commit to towing and leaving it in the truck when they do.

20220514_103604.jpg
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

12.jpg
13.jpg

I had the pleasure of wheeling with @Lonewolf and @Choptop1954 over the weekend. We headed up north to Fordyce for a day trip since the water level was low, 50cfs, and the other options we looked at were all closed. The trail was a ton of fun and just the type of trip I've been dreaming of since last summer. While the parking lot was a zoo the trail wasn't all that crowded. We ended up turning around at winch hill one since one of the jeeps was starting to leak steering fluid and while diagnosing a group of Toyotas got in front of us and looked like it was going to take a long time for them to get all the rigs up.

What a great trail. Tons of standing water, river crossings, beaches, big rocks, and the armor sure did take a beating. I also ran it without the spare since I'm currently working on making my carrier a bit more stubby so I can get the tire close to the tub. I'm still debating whether I'll put the tire on the back or just keep it inside when the family doesn't come or commit to towing and leaving it in the truck when they do.

View attachment 331255View attachment 331256View attachment 331257View attachment 331258View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263
View attachment 331267View attachment 331268
Oh yeah! Looks like a great trail!!!

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney

View attachment 331255View attachment 331256View attachment 331257View attachment 331258View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263
View attachment 331267View attachment 331268
That looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing the oics.

Had some fun on the trail with @Choptop1954 and @Lonewolf today on a last minute fordyce trip. (Bailed out at committee crossing)

I didn't get any photos of my jeep but it performed great.

When going up winch hill 2 we let a JLU pass us since he was clearly trying to get past. He struggled a bit getting up one section and we heard a loud pop. A few seconds later his wheel came off but that didn't stop him from continuing to try. He was adamant he didn't want our help so we squeezed by and left him. His group was behind us so hopefully they got him off the trail. I can't imagine they'll get the jeep off without parts given the location.

Broken ball joints, outer axle, and ujoint.

20221015_135829.jpg

Some photos I took
20221015_105712.jpg

20221015_105614.jpg

20221015_100042.jpg

Had some fun on the trail with @Choptop1954 and @Lonewolf today on a last minute fordyce trip. (Bailed out at committee crossing)

I didn't get any photos of my jeep but it performed great.

When going up winch hill 2 we let a JLU pass us since he was clearly trying to get past. He struggled a bit getting up one section and we heard a loud pop. A few seconds later his wheel came off but that didn't stop him from continuing to try. He was adamant he didn't want our help so we squeezed by and left him. His group was behind us so hopefully they got him off the trail. I can't imagine they'll get the jeep off without parts given the location.

Broken ball joints, outer axle, and ujoint.

View attachment 367196

Some photos I took

View attachment 367197

View attachment 367198

View attachment 367199

Did the other two keep going?