Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

It looks brand new! Well done sir!
It came out quite nice. Sometimes I impress myself lol.

Do you or perhaps @lowranger have any ideas for measuring tongue weight. If I go by the uhaul motto then I'm looking for 1 inch of drop when the load is on. My guess is I will be positioning the jeep further towards the rear.

Do you know what spring rate your coil springs are?
I do not nor can I find it. I did find my part number though 68304489AA. I do have a 1,000lbs helper air bags though. Worst case I guess I could pick up beefier springs.

I don't know the best way to measure tongue weight, I usually just drive the Jeep on it, look to see when it starts to drop a little and see how it handles, when you find that right sweet spot, just remember were you put the Jeep each time. Even mark a spot on the trailer if you like where the rear tires are. Do you have a 3/4 pickup? With the air bags and 3/4 pickup I wouldn't think you would need beefier springs.

Reactions: Daryl and Alex01
I don't know the best way to measure tongue weight, I usually just drive the Jeep on it, look to see when it starts to drop a little and see how it handles, when you find that right sweet spot, just remember were you put the Jeep each time. Even mark a spot on the trailer if you like where the rear tires are. Do you have a 3/4 pickup? With the air bags and 3/4 pickup I wouldn't think you would need beefier springs.
No I'm using a 1/2 ton. I'm sure it will be fine. I've towed the jeep behind it before on uhaul trailers.

@Alex01, try this as a starting point. Attach the trailer to your pickup and load the Jeep with the rear axle directly over the rear axle of the trailer. I think you’ll find that’s pretty close to your sweet spot you’re looking for. Adjust as needed from there.
04310246-5C33-4368-961B-80B29EA3A240.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Nice work, there’s a good looking TJ across the street, maybe you can borrow it?
Mine sits in the rain as @tomtaylz sits all nice and cozy in my garage. Something seems wrong..... :p

@Alex01, try this as a starting point. Attach the trailer to your pickup and load the Jeep with the rear axle directly over the rear axle of the trailer. I think you’ll find that’s pretty close to your sweet spot you’re looking for. Adjust as needed from there.
View attachment 78500

Will do. Thanks for the words of wisedom.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Are you guys installing the Savvy tuck?

***Edit: toms jeep not mine....

The savvy tummy tuck is fully installed. It was actually way easier than anticipated. As of now it needs the holes for the oil pan to be drilled to finish that part of the skids. Once thats all done the skids need to be removed so the jeep can go to an exhaust shop to have the muffler moved forward a few inches to clear the rear skid support. Right now its sitting waiting for a new rear driveshaft (tuesday) and for the rock sliders to come back from the powder coater. It should be operational again next week but probably back in toms parking garage the following week.

Oh and the lockers still need to be rewired under the hood.

@tomtaylz Am I missing anything??

Last edited:
I just bought a tongue weight scale, so I can find the sweet spot since I needed to extend my hitch out it is a little more critical for me. I haven't actually loaded my jeep up yet, but probably next weekend. I will let you know if I learn anything.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html
That thing is fancy. Here I was looking on youtube watching people use 2x4s and a cheap-o scale from walmart to find tongue weight.

Any info is good info and would be much appreciated.

Reactions: ac_