Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Those park brake shoes look fine. Take some emery cloth to the lining to clean them up with some brake cleaner and tighten the adjusters. Turn them until you get a slight drag.
Perfect. Thanks for the step by step.

I haven't touched drums since my old YJ so it's very foriegn to me. (Trailer doesn't count since I bought a whole new axle brake kit.)

The only reason I had the rotor off was because I need to flip the backing plates side to side for the wizard brackets.

I’m anxious to see your rig at Slick Rock.
It will be there. I may be pushing it for the exhaust work but this weekend I hope to have it back up and running. I haven't even test fitted the muffler since I've been dealing figuring out the rear brake line / went camping over the weekend.

Perfect. Thanks for the step by step.

I haven't touched drums since my old YJ so it's very foriegn to me. (Trailer doesn't count since I bought a whole new axle brake kit.)

The only reason I had the rotor off was because I need to flip the backing plates side to side for the wizard brackets.

It will be there. I may be pushing it for the exhaust work but this weekend I hope to have it back up and running. I haven't even test fitted the muffler since I've been dealing figuring out the rear brake line / went camping over the weekend.
Forgot to ask, how was the glamping trip?

Forgot to ask, how was the glamping trip?
It was fun other than the fact that it was really hot even at night. We spent most the day sitting at the lakeshore and once the sun went down retreated to the AC in the RV. It was so hot we didn't even have a fire.

The RV was a fun experience which we want to do again. Next time we'll likely rent the next size up so we have a bit more room in the dining / sitting area.
20200625_161454.jpg

It was fun other than the fact that it was really hot even at night. We spent most the day sitting at the lakeshore and once the sun went down retreated to the AC in the RV. It was so hot we didn't even have a fire.

The RV was a fun experience which we want to do again. Next time we'll likely rent the next size up so we have a bit more room in the dining / sitting area. View attachment 173371
We hung out by the lake Saturday too.😉

6D591EFA-C0E4-4D7C-9C6C-E326DBC56E92.jpeg

My current thought is to hold off installing the rear antirock until after the outboard is completed. Unless I guess correctly on placement the lower weld on tab would need to move and I don't feel like grinding it off just so I have it for one run.

I ran for years without a rear swaybar. When I bought my TJ it didn't have one and I never bothered to install one.
I have a rear anti-rock that I'm going to install now also but you'll be okay for a run or two without.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
A bit more progress tonight. I relocated the upper perches and also mounted the brake line. I'm still waiting for the retaining clips and new T for the axle to arrive.
20200630_210303.jpg
20200630_210320.jpg
20200630_211548.jpg
20200630_212744.jpg
20200630_220253.jpg
20200630_220303.jpg
20200630_214745.jpg
20200630_215942.jpg

Also, thanks @bobthetj03 for the tip on cleaning up the parking shoes. They look great now.
15935802485836514412501249191688.jpg

A few more items checked off the list.

I expected to need to drive to the exhaust shop for work once I was done but I couldn't have placed the cat's connector flange in a worse location if I tried. I guess I'll have AAA tow it to the exhaust shop for me. The fine for driving it on the road is likely more than the cost of the exhaust.

Resized_20200702_220209.jpeg

The fix
Resized_20200702_223114.jpeg

I expected to need to drive to the exhaust shop for work once I was done but I couldn't have placed the cat's connector flange in a worse location if I tried. I guess I'll have AAA tow it to the exhaust shop for me. The fine for driving it on the road is likely more than the cost of the exhaust.

View attachment 174185

The fixView attachment 174183
Man... I'm glad I don't love in Cali. Here, I'd drive it with only the downtube. If I got pulled over, I'd get a repair and report ticket at most. No fine.

Man... I'm glad I don't love in Cali. Here, I'd drive it with only the downtube. If I got pulled over, I'd get a repair and report ticket at most. No fine.
I live in CA. I've driven at least 20 rigs to the muffler shop with no muffler and never got so much as a sideways glance from a member of Law Enforcement.

I drove mine 10 miles into town with open headers before also.

Reactions: Alex01
If it was just the muffler I'd drive it but I don't have the 3rd cat on right now and that's a massive fine if a LEO cares. With my luck I'll be the one person pulled over this year for a violation.

View attachment 174185

Exhaust is my next big hurdle too. I cut mine same place you did. I live in BFE Arkansas. I don’t have to worry about a ticket from the police. But the nearest muffler shop is over an hour away. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Exhaust is my next big hurdle too. I cut mine same place you did. I live in BFE Arkansas. I don’t have to worry about a ticket from the police. But the nearest muffler shop is over an hour away. 🤦🏻‍♂️
It sounds like you have quite a long loud roadtrip in your future. I have to say though the 4.0 sounds good straight piped.

View attachment 174185

I would trailer it down there before I called AAA.

Reactions: lowranger
I would trailer it down there before I called AAA.
I thought of that but since I don't store the trailer at my house it's a lot more inconvenient to pick it up. I have the premier AAA account so I'll only be using up one of my 6 yearly allowable tows.

Reactions: DrDmoney and D M
I thought of that but since I don't store the trailer at my house it's a lot more inconvenient to pick it up. I have the premier AAA account so I'll only be using up one of my 6 yearly allowable tows.
Totally makes sense, I thought you had it at your house, we haven't used our AAA cards since we got rid of our Range Rover🤣🇬🇧💩

Drove the jeep 15ft out of the garage. Still need to get the skids back on and exhaust but it feels like a major achievement just moving it again. Special thanks to @Midnight LJR for all the help with grinding/welding, @jjvw, and @toximus for answering all the questions I threw at you, and @mrblaine for letting me pick your brain a bit the other day, the guidance, and help you provided.

I can't wait to go wheeling again later this month.

20200705_195645.jpg

The blue tap is for the minor rust repair under the door. Still waiting for the body match paint to arrive and didn't feel like removing the tape for the photo.

Last edited: