Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

@midnightljr and I finished up the outboard today. The two sides are within a quarter inch of eachother so I am stoked. With all everything we learned I would bet if we did it again it would turn out even closer but for our first time I really couldn't ask for more. Empty the shafts are 6.75" and 6.5". The drivers side ideally could be lowered between .25-.5" but anything past that the DS would start to bind.

Like I started with I am extremely happy with the finished product and glad to have learned a new skill.

We took a stab at the rear AR but the space is very limited. I'll either need differently bent arms, longer lower mounts, or a wheel spacer. (Or a combo of all these things)

View attachment 181075

View attachment 181076
Measure the distance from the center of the bar to the center of the space between edge of the shock mount and the rear of the spring perch. You need an arm that long plus a bit extra for the two bends.

alex swaybar.PNG

Reactions: DrDmoney
Thanks. I'm hoping to rejoin the swaybar club also again soon 🤣
Haha. You'll be glad once you get it on there. I'll be curious to know what you did to fit the antirock.

Who tuned your shocks? I'm interested in finding out well how you like them.

Measure the distance from the center of the bar to the center of the space between edge of the shock mount and the rear of the spring perch. You need an arm that long plus a bit extra for the two bends.

View attachment 181128
Thank you for the tip. I'll get it measured and order a longer bar today.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Don't worry if the bar winds up a bit longer after the bends. Drill a hole to hit that opening, put the rod end in that opening on the inside of the arm and adjust the length of the link so the corner of the tire tread just goes right under the arm.

Who tuned your shocks? I'm interested in finding out well how you like them.
The shocks were tuned by @pcoplin. Once I have the rear swaybar and more seat time I'll post my thoughts. I've only drove it around 3 miles at this point.

BTW- if you cut the shock length mock up bar the way I explained, it is almost impossible to get different lengths of shock shaft showing at ride height. If you set the two pieces together with the mock up piece and the axle is the same distance down from the frame, it's pretty hard to fuck that up.

Reactions: Alex01
Don't worry if the bar winds up a bit longer after the bends. Drill a hole to hit that opening, put the rod end in that opening on the inside of the arm and adjust the length of the link so the corner of the tire tread just goes right under the arm.
Perfect.
BTW- if you cut the shock length mock up bar the way I explained, it is almost impossible to get different lengths of shock shaft showing at ride height. If you set the two pieces together with the mock up piece and the axle is the same distance down from the frame, it's pretty hard to fuck that up.
I believe the error came when we cut the first mount. It was a hair further towards the rear than we were aiming for but the mock up did fit nicely on both sides before final welding. Also, the jeep had a heavy cooler filled with ice and also had tools in it durning the measuring phase that were removed proir to measuring the final product. After the test drive the measurements were closer together than when we first set it down so the springs could also be settling a bit I suppose.

Perfect.

I believe the error came when we cut the first mount. It was a hair further towards the rear than we were aiming for but the mock up did fit nicely on both sides before final welding. Also, the jeep had a heavy cooler filled with ice and also had tools in it durning the measuring phase that were removed proir to measuring the final product. After the test drive the measurements were closer together than when we first set it down so the springs could also be settling a bit I suppose.
If the mock up bar sets the distance between the upper and lower mount, it doesn't matter if they are 2" different from each other fore and aft. The shock shaft will still show the same amount at ride height since that is how you set it.

If the mock up bar sets the distance between the upper and lower mount, it doesn't matter if they are 2" different from each other fore and aft. The shock shaft will still show the same amount at ride height since that is how you set it.
Well that makes me feel better. I'm sure once I bring it back to trail weight it will be dead on. Again, thank you for all the tips / advice during this process and now after. I have no doubt you could have done it better and surely got a hair more droop out of it but, it was a fun learning experience.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Well that makes me feel better. I'm sure once I bring it back to trail weight it will be dead on. Again, thank you for all the tips / advice during this process and now after. I have no doubt you could have done it better and surely got a hair more droop out of it but, it was a fun learning experience.
It isn't about me doing it better or worse.

It isn't about me doing it better or worse.
I know that. I really appreciate your desire to help and passing on some of the tips to do the job. Without the mock shock, it would have been a shit show. Like many others here I think it would be an amazing experience to shadow you on one of your builds. Prehaps a charity raffle like Warren Buffett's charity lunch? :p

I know that. I really appreciate your desire to help and passing on some of the tips to do the job. Without the mock shock, it would have been a shit show. Like many others here I think it would be an amazing experience to shadow you on one of your builds. Prehaps a charity raffle like Warren Buffett's charity lunch? :p
As long as you don't get to watch the rear shock outboarding I did in 45 minutes start to finish, we're all good.

Having seen what it takes to get the outboard right .. that is really amazing.
Sounds more amazing than it really is. We had just done a TJ Unlimited that was exactly the same or was going to be except this was just a rolling chassis we had done the mid arm on. All I did was duplicate one to the other. Open, easy, quick.

Last edited:
@Alex01 out of curiosity, can you move the AR brackets forward? I’m not sure how the TJ kit works. Just a thought. Btw what is the measurement you’d need in its current location? I have a 18” arm you could experiment with.