Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I'm running revolution discovery front shafts. I meant to write wheel bearing/hub assembly. - I do not have lock/unlocking hubs.
Just check them with a stock stub. We see quite a few unit bearings that some after markets shafts bottom out on the splines inside. That means over time the splines work together and the hub loosens up since the stub is what holds the two halves together.

Reactions: Alex01
Following you install the Genright fenders almost had me keeping the 37's and going down that rabbit hole. All I needed was some GR highlines and a front 60, right? I really am proud of myself for not falling into that trap right now. In due time. I am guilty of casually browsing front 60's today. 🤭
Did someone say GR Highlines, a 60 and 37's, your now only two steps away 🤣🤣🤣

Did someone say GR Highlines, a 60 and 37's, your now only two steps away 🤣🤣🤣
Getting close. I need to start saving a small fortune though for the dana 60/rear stretch/front stretch/37s. - just a pipe dream though. I'm years away if ever.

Realistically I'd likely buy a sport LJ and base thr build off that.

But since you mentioned HL I finished the hood cut. Now its time for inner fenders and paint. Also added some quick release hood pins but I left one too long and shattered the mechanism when slamming the hood 🤦‍♂️
20210411_213926.jpg
20210413_000621.jpg
20210413_000614.jpg

Getting close. I need to start saving a small fortune though for the dana 60/rear stretch/front stretch/37s. - just a pipe dream though. I'm years away if ever.

But since you mentioned HL I finished the hood cut. Now its time for inner fenders and paint. Also added some quick release hood pins but I left one too long and shattered the mechanism when slamming the hood 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 243393View attachment 243394View attachment 243395

Wow that turned out great !

Much easier to build out a TJ Unlimited, but then you wind up with a serious conundrum. Stock wheelbase is 104 which is very nice for 37's and that leaves a serious overhang behind the axle to deal with.

I've had several ask me to do their high lines. When I tell them I won't even touch one for less than 1500 I get "fuck that, I'll do it myself" Month later, I get, "fuck that, I should have had you do it". That was way more work than I ever thought.

Later I get to see all the crap they butchered and they really should have had someone else do it.

Last edited:
Much easier to build out a TJ Unlimited, but then you wind up with a serious conundrum. Stock wheelbase is 104 which is very nice for 37's and that leaves a serious overhang behind the axle to deal with.

I've had several ask me to do their high lines. When I tell them I won't even touch one for less than 1500 I get "fuck that, I'll do it myself" Month later, I get, "fuck that, I should have had you do it". That was way more work than I ever thought.

Later I get to see all the crap they butchered and they really should have has someone else do it.
Maybe a bobbed LJ is the solution.

Installing the fender while doing any highline fender install is the easy part. Getting everything else to fit after loosing all the space between the fender and the hood is the real challenge. That‘s the part folks usually don’t fully get.

Installing the fender while doing any highline fender install is the easy part. Getting everything else to fit after loosing all the space between the fender and the hood is the real challenge. That‘s the part folks usually don’t fully get.
Looking forward to it. The inner fenders arrive today so I'll likely start working on them over the next couple days. I'm hoping to paint the fenders friday-sat.

Reactions: Indy
Is it though? If you bob that tub and don't take it to TJ standard length, you're screwed for any top to fit back on. A TJ-6 is too long for 37's generally. TJ Unlimited is just right give or take a little but with a terrible departure angle. I might have to contemplate a TJ tub stretched to fit a TJ Unlimited at the wheel arches and cut the frame off. That way you get something that sucks for cargo but still works.
Getting everything else to fit after loosing all the space between the fender and the hood is the real challenge. That‘s the part folks usually don’t fully get.
Some have a massive amount of crap bolted to their inner fenders. They don't like the necessary pruning that has to happen and I don't like making new mounts for everything under the hood.

Later I get to see all the crap they butchered and they really should have has someone else do it.

So that’s why I see a lot of your builds on 40’s? The wheels base stretch of the LJ to get rid of the rear overhang?

I might have to contemplate a TJ tub stretched to fit a TJ Unlimited at the wheel arches and cut the frame off. That way you get something that sucks for cargo but still works.
Could you cut the tub in front of the wheel well, then leave the floor in tack until after the rear seat? That way you'd gain cargo space instead of passenger room?

Could you cut the tub in front of the wheel well, then leave the floor in tack until after the rear seat? That way you'd gain cargo space instead of passenger room?
Yes but again, a top other than full custom has to be considered and the solution for that puts the tub at one of two lengths.

Reactions: DrDmoney

I have a similar notch in my slider base :LOL:

When are you installing the boat sides?

• Haha
Reactions: Indy and Alex01
I have a similar notch in my slider base :LOL:

When are you installing the boat sides?
After the savvy sliders get beat to shit and I start getting stuck on them.

Yes but again, a top other than full custom has to be considered and the solution for that puts the tub at one of two lengths.
I was assuming the cut would be done with an LJ top in mind. I'm sure a custom top would be way more than most would want to spend.

So in general would you say a TJ is limited to 37" tires, roughly 103 wheelbase, while an LJ is better suited for a 40, roughly 113", built so the overhangs are kept to a minimum? (assuming you don't want it to have comp corners)

Reactions: Wildman and Chris
After the savvy sliders get beat to shit and I start getting stuck on them.

I was assuming the cut would be done with an LJ top in mind. I'm sure a custom top would be way more than most would want to spend.
TJ Unlimited top on a TJ tub is a TJ-6 and that puts the wheelbase at 108 with a TJ overhang. TJ top is what limits the cargo area. Pick one.
So in general would you say a TJ is limited to 37" tires, roughly 103 wheelbase, while an LJ is better suited for a 40, roughly 113", build so the overhangs are kept to a minimum? (assuming you don't want it to have comp corners)
104ish is closer and my minimum for 37's. I like 108+ for 40's.

Reactions: TJosh02 and Alex01
Alex,
Man you work fast Sunday those fenders where just sitting on the floor of the garage. Nice job not sure I have the skill to cut my hood that straight. Turned out great.
LOL, I got the driver's side done shortly after the kids went to bed Sunday. I only wanted to do one a night so I was fresh and wouldn't make a dumb mistake.

The hood cut wasn't too bad. @starkey480 gave me some good tips. It was about an hour + though of 1/16 grinding at a time to make them look right.

TJ Unlimited top on a TJ tub is a TJ-6 and that puts the wheelbase at 108 with a TJ overhang. TJ top is what limits the cargo area. Pick one.

104ish is closer and my minimum for 37's. I like 108+ for 40's.
So for an LJ on 40's would you stretch the front at all or just move the rear back? (I'm guessing the answer is you'd stretch the front if it needs it to clear) It seems like an LJ as a base and aiming for 40's is the simplest, relatively, to build. Total overkill for anything I need - just having fun talking about how it would be done.

Reactions: starkey480
LOL, I got the driver's side done shortly after the kids went to bed Sunday. I only wanted to do one a night so I was fresh and wouldn't make a dumb mistake.

The hood cut wasn't too bad. @starkey480 gave me some good tips. It was about an hour + though of 1/16 grinding at a time to make them look right.

So for an LJ on 40's would you stretch the front at all or just move the rear back? (I'm guessing the answer is you'd stretch the front if it needs it to clear) It seems like an LJ as a base and aiming for 40's is the simplest, relatively, to build. Total overkill for anything I need - just having fun talking about how it would be done.
The front gets moved by virtue of being able to center the axle under the springs, custom track bar mount, shorter custom pitman arm so everything plays nice together. There is also the clearance at the rear of the front tires that has to be dealt with.

TJ Unlimited on 40's is certainly easier to build in the basic rules we follow but then you have to figure out how to drive it on 40's and there isn't much about that which doesn't fully suck.