Alive Day

Hopefully my question before wasn't offensive at all. That was not my intent. Maybe I'm reading something into it that's not there. I haven't served myself, but I have friends and family who have. I perceive that there could be some frustration with getting wounded while serving, but from a freak accident like my friend had and not from battle. Like this is not a noble or worthy injury. But I think any civilian would certainly consider it to be equivalent and appreciate the sacrifice regardless of how the injury happened. That's all I was getting at.

Nope you'll have to do a lot more than ask questions to offend me. And yes being wounded by a STUPID accident is frustrating. And what makes it more so is Army rules about things like this. Because my injury wasn't during an engagement with the enemy or by the enemy I'm not eligible for a Purple Heart. It isn't that I'm medal hungry just that I shed blood on foreign soil during war time. But that's a whole other story.

I think that whole show was filmed in Washington. Watched it as a kid and was disappointed when I found out it wasn’t done in Alaska.

Yes it was. Since I'd lived in Alaska as a kid I really enjoyed that show. There was a rumor that they were thinking about redoing the show and it was going to be filmed in Roslyn again.

That is quite the story :oops:. Seeing those pictures of where you got shot is both chilling and sobering. You really get the short end of the stick but im glad your doing well and getting the Jeep back up and running too. If your going to make it to TJ fest i'd love to met in person

That is quite the story :oops:. Seeing those pictures of where you got shot is both chilling and sobering. You really get the short end of the stick but im glad your doing well and getting the Jeep back up and running too. If your going to make it to TJ fest i'd love to met in person

Right now I don't think I'm going to make next years event. But once the TJ is back up and on the trails I will make the event in 2022.

Wow!!! I was aware of your service and a little of your story based on some of your posts. I never knew all the details til now.

Much respect Bro!

I was there at Anaconda from December 1, 2004 till December 5, 2005. I lived and worked out at the southeast corner of the base on the helicopter flight line. Lots of little mortar attacks, but nothing like what you went through.

I have my own "Alive Day" that I celebrate every year. On July 9. 2013 I was in Bagram, Afghanistan. I was working the night shift on the flightline when the "Incoming" alarm sounded. Normally, I would just lay flat on the ground and roll under an aircraft till it was over.
We had a couple close hits from some rockets and a little voice told me I needed to find some better cover. I jumped up and ran behind some Hesco baskets and got low. As soon as I got down, A rocket hit about 30 feet away from me. It peppered the helicopter I was working on and the Hesco I was behind. No one was hurt. I got checked out by the medics and finished my shift.
I didn't even think much about it until the next day when I saw all the damage, then I realized how lucky I was.

I ended up getting a CAB out of it and 10% VA claim for the damage to my hearing. Lol

I know that is just a very small portion of what you went through, but I do understand to a much smaller degree what it's like to be in a big shitshow like that.

I even went back to Iraq last year. I spent 9 months in Taji. Pretty quiet, nothing like before.

So, bottom line, thank you for your service and your sacrifice. It is much appreciated. It's good to be alive..

Shrapnel dug out from the barrier I took cover behind. My squad had this plaque made up for me.

CAB(1).jpg

So you got to Anaconda 2 months after I'd been shot. We had some really close calls at the main gate where I worked before I had to come home on emergency leave. I was the 1SG(Acting 1SG) for the security company that was running the main gate. It was a crazy place to work having to go out and unfuck the traffic coming into the base. We processes about 1500 local personnel onto the base every morning & out every evening. They had to go thru 4 check station where they were searched and questioned. I never got a CAB for any of the stuff I did. The only thing I got out of the deal was a Bronze Star.

Thanks for your service also. I got to go on a chopper ride around the base and the town of Balad when I first got there. After that the only time I left the gates was to either go out and clear traffic or sweep the road for IED's.
We had a IED at the east gate a few weeks after I was shot and it killed 10 Iraq's and wounded a bunch. None of my guys were hurt. That is the one GOOD thing I can say is that all my troops came home.

So, today is the 11th anniversary of my divorce from my third wife. Does that count? :unsure:

Sorry. Just being a punk. It actually is the anniversary, and I just couldn't resist! :sneaky:

I'd have to keep a calendar book to keep track of that stuff.

1st wife left me when I was in Korea
2nd wife left when I started driving truck
3rd wife left while I was in Iraq
4th wife left becasue of my PTSD

Done buddy. No more marriage for this guy. I need to get a friend with benefits :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've owned my Jeep longer than any relationship has lasted.

Some folks get all twisted up when I say this (it's a joke, people), but I tell my buddies that if this one doesn't work out, then I'm going gay, 'cause I could sure use the help in the garage! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, a FWB definitely has its advantages. For one, you don't have to refinance the house (again) to buy out her half when the relationship comes crumbling down around you. (y)

Lifes to short to sweat the little stuff.
Bingo! I save being pissed-off or twisted about something for the stuff that I deem truly worthy of the energy. In a nutshell, I don't go looking to be offended or pissed-off. One of the best ways to "disarm" someone is to laugh along with 'em. If they can't get to you, then they lose their control over you. It's beautiful to witness, I tell ya! ;)

I'd have to keep a calendar book to keep track of that stuff.

1st wife left me when I was in Korea
2nd wife left when I started driving truck
3rd wife left while I was in Iraq
4th wife left becasue of my PTSD

Done buddy. No more marriage for this guy. I need to get a friend with benefits :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've owned my Jeep longer than any relationship has lasted.

That PTSD is a fucked thing. But from your story, it sounds like she was just doing her thing and didn’t GAF.

My wife is a trooper with mine. If she left tomorrow I would honestly understand. I’m difficult to say the least.

You are good man, if my wife left at this point I’d be done with women too. Not worth it. I love her and my kids. But I won’t do this again.

Reactions: Wildman and Squatch
17 years ago my world/life changed totally. This year doesn't seem to be as bad as other years which I'm very glad of. Going to be working on the Jeep today so I should be distracted most of the day.

To any and ALL my fellow service members stay safe and be well.

The past is history... tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift... that is why it is a called the present!

- the old ninja turtle from kung fu panda.

• Love
Reactions: Wildman
Wow, surprisingly this is the first I've seen this. Although I was just a little to young for Vietnam, and out of the service long before Iraq, I've seen my share of suffering and death in service to this country. As you've said, better alive than dead, so Happy Alive Day Rick!