All AMC picture of the year

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Found locally...AMC Eagle with a CJ8 Scrambler on tow dolly. The Eagle was in better condition than the CJ8.

IMG_2901[1].JPG

That would be a great road trip! (y) There was a set a while ago on the Comanche Club Forum (I think) for about $300 US with caps and they looked good. I'm pretty sure they were in the western US so pretty far from here! I refuse to take my wife on "parts runs" but there's no way I'd get out of that one.

Reactions: Squatch
That would be a great road trip! (y) There was a set a while ago on the Comanche Club Forum (I think) for about $300 US with caps and they looked good. I'm pretty sure they were in the western US so pretty far from here! I refuse to take my wife on "parts runs" but there's no way I'd get out of that one.
I've seen 'em for $200, and under. Fastenal would be a great way to ship them. Affordable. I'll keep an eye out for a set.

I've seen 'em for $200, and under. Fastenal would be a great way to ship them. Affordable. I'll keep an eye out for a set.

I'd appreciate that. $200 CDN is usually about what a set of 4 Jeep wheels of any sort except for the more rare ones like these go for around here. As much as I like them, I have a LOT of MOAB wheels (29!) and I'm starting to realize that 16's aren't the way to go. It might be time to unload them.

• Wow
@Squatch - I finally got a set of Turbines! They're not great but I'm sure I can restore them. They came up on Kijiji on Saturday morning and I had them by noon. It was a beautiful day for a 3 hr. round trip up into cottage country in my MJ. No centre caps but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

@Squatch - I finally got a set of Turbines! They're not great but I'm sure I can restore them. They came up on Kijiji on Saturday morning and I had them by noon. It was a beautiful day for a 3 hr. round trip up into cottage country in my MJ. No centre caps but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.
Awesome! Were you able to get them at a reasonable price?

Awesome! Were you able to get them at a reasonable price?

I did! $100 CDN (about $75 USD) for all 4 wheels. They're straight with no damage to the rims and the stud holes don't look like eggs. They'll need a lot of work though. I hope to polish the rims and spokes and paint the non-polished parts grey as original. I'll do what I can here (pressure wash, glass bead, Roloc wheel, etc.) and hopefully get to point where I can polish them. If that doesn't work there's a place in town that polishes wheels. Last resort will be to have them powder coated and to be honest I'd be OK with that.

Sad thing is that they came with four 235 Hancook tires that are shot. It looks like a previous owner (not who I got them from) bought them for a long term project that was never completed. Although they look new based on the treads, I'm sure they sat for years and are cracked to the point where they are now useless.

20-09-27 7.JPG
20-09-27 8.JPG

I did! $100 CDN (about $75 USD) for all 4 wheels. They're straight with no damage to the rims and the stud holes don't look like eggs. They'll need a lot of work though. I hope to polish the rims and spokes and paint the non-polished parts grey as original. I'll do what I can here (pressure wash, glass bead, Roloc wheel, etc.) and hopefully get to point where I can polish them. If that doesn't work there's a place in town that polishes wheels. Last resort will be to have them powder coated and to be honest I'd be OK with that.

Sad thing is that they came with four 235 Hancook tires that are shot. It looks like a previous owner (not who I got them from) bought them for a long term project that was never completed. Although they look new based on the treads, I'm sure they sat for years and are cracked to the point where they are now useless.

View attachment 193014View attachment 193015
Nice! Those should clean up nicely. Well worth the drive, and well worth the effort. Congrats!!! (y)

Reactions: PCO6
Nice! Those should clean up nicely. Well worth the drive, and well worth the effort. Congrats!!! (y)

They did! I started to clean them up myself and half way through media blasting the first one I realized how much work they would be and that I probably wouldn't be happy with the results. I took them into the wheel polishing shop I mentioned above and I'm glad I did. They suggested machining the originally polished areas to get rid of the pits and they turned out great.

The process was to blast them, spray them silver (front & back), machine the parts that were polished in a lathe and then powder coat them with clear. The cost was $125 CDN ($95 USD) per wheel which I thought was very reasonable. For an extra $20 / wheel they installed new valve stems, mounted the tires and balanced them. They said other shops could do that of course but they "take extra care" not to scratch the rims.

All I have to do now is find a set of original wheel caps.

20-10-23 7.JPG
20-10-23 3.JPG