All in the name of science

i think i know too,
but i don't know what you know and i don't know shit . so i don't know how anything will work until i know.
you know how i know ? cause those in the know told me so.

so if you know and it all works until it knows better it's all good, you know.

I think I know what I'm doing and that is all I need to know.

PS, thanks for your help!
I'm curious how far this conversation has gone in your head, because I'm still at step one.

I'll give you a hint, I've also got about 5 years of seat time on corrected geometry lol

I'm curious how far this conversation has gone in your head, because I'm still at step one.

I'll give you a hint, I've also got about 5 years of seat time on corrected geometry lol

Sorry, but I'm not even to step one. You are just having fun and so am I. I don't know you. You may have a wealth of knowledge, but it is not on display here. I do believe you have the same amount of seat time as jjvw with the Nth Degree type geometry correction.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Sorry, but I'm not even to step one. You are just having fun and so am I. I don't know you. You may have a wealth of knowledge, but it is not on display here. I do believe you have the same amount of seat time as jjvw with the Nth Degree type geometry correction.
That reminds me a certain type of sandwich that I've never had, but know I have little interest in.

I don't have much to contribute, other than being part of this shit show, but a have a similar philosophy as @Mike_H. I don't particularly consider my jeep a build per say as much of it being small modifications to make it more reliable, capable for the off roading I'm comfortable with, and making it more comfortable to drive on long trips and daily driving to work and back home. I'm capable to do a bit of grinding, cutting, and welding, but I have no interest in reinventing the wheel to achieve how I want me jeep to handle. I don't see outboading or a mid arm in my future, and I don't see spending that kind of money to fix an occasional light front end on a climb, or an occasional wheel hop in the rear. Those two problems have not stopped me on any trail I've been on. I don't want to be "that guy" either, so I do try to pick and choose the trails I'm comfortable tackling. What I'm not seeing on this thread is a recipe for a TJ that can be improved on with shocks that the average puke can afford, in the stock locations, with a 4ish to 5ish up/down travel bias, on a lift can handle 33ish tires. Will the evil GC improve anything with all I've spewed out?

.... What I'm not seeing on this thread is a recipe for a TJ that can be improved on with shocks that the average puke can afford, in the stock locations, with a 4ish to 5ish up/down travel bias, on a lift can handle 33ish tires. Will the evil GC improve anything with all I've spewed out?

That isn't what this thread was ever supposed to be. The intent of the video was simply to show the differences in how different suspension geometries behave. Then we got a bunch of nonsense trying to explain these behaviors as something other than what it was.

That isn't what this thread was ever supposed to be. The intent of the video was simply to show the differences in how different suspension geometries behave. Then we got a bunch of nonsense trying to explain these behaviors as something other than what it was.
This is true. Like some, I get caught up in the long windedness of the thread, when I should have reviewed the OP. Still, my questions have some merit.

While I am sitting here with my tcase on the floor and my new box almost ready to go in I took a break and caught up on this thread.
As said before, it’s your Jeep, if you want to do something then do it and quit trying to convince others it is the best. If it works for you then hell ya. Enjoy it. After installing my doubler, which improving my crawl ratio was a high priority, shocks will be the next project. I’m not happy with the ride. I think I had convinced myself that some of the ride characteristics I disliked were short arm related. When in fact they are shock related. Swayloc will be next after shocks.
Bottom line is it’s your Jeep do what you please with it as long as it’s safe. Now get out there and enjoy it.

I don't have much to contribute, other than being part of this shit show, but a have a similar philosophy as @Mike_H. I don't particularly consider my jeep a build per say as much of it being small modifications to make it more reliable, capable for the off roading I'm comfortable with, and making it more comfortable to drive on long trips and daily driving to work and back home. I'm capable to do a bit of grinding, cutting, and welding, but I have no interest in reinventing the wheel to achieve how I want me jeep to handle. I don't see outboading or a mid arm in my future, and I don't see spending that kind of money to fix an occasional light front end on a climb, or an occasional wheel hop in the rear. Those two problems have not stopped me on any trail I've been on. I don't want to be "that guy" either, so I do try to pick and choose the trails I'm comfortable tackling. What I'm not seeing on this thread is a recipe for a TJ that can be improved on with shocks that the average puke can afford, in the stock locations, with a 4ish to 5ish up/down travel bias, on a lift can handle 33ish tires. Will the evil GC improve anything with all I've spewed out?
I've been looking too... And I think it really comes down to the shocks. A three inch spring lift, a small body lift, tucked belly and raised tank skid are all really good, and relatively easy to do. 33s work with those mods perfectly. Now, when you try to find a set of shocks to go into the stock location, you're screwed. They don't really exist. There isn't a goldilocks solution there. And so far, IMHO, the ones that do kinda fit ride like garbage!

I've been looking too... And I think it really comes down to the shocks. A three inch spring lift, a small body lift, tucked belly and raised tank skid are all really good, and relatively easy to do. 33s work with those mods perfectly. Now, when you try to find a set of shocks to go into the stock location, you're screwed. They don't really exist. There isn't a goldilocks solution there. And so far, IMHO, the ones that do kinda fit ride like garbage!
Go to 3.5" front and 3" rear SL

Why bother? I'm going 4" and 35s
Then don't bother. I need to keep up with your build better. I'm getting confused. There is a good shock choice at 3.5" SL.

It gets better the closer you get to 4”. 😉
Based on the shock choices for the average man, perhaps. I need to start a thread on this. How many folks have you heard complain about a stock TJ suspension with stockish shocks and poor ride quality, provided the shocks were in good working order?

Reactions: DrDmoney