Alloy Wheel With Classic Steelie Styling

$250 for a cast aluminum wheel? No thanks.
37D15FDE-9BCA-42FF-B841-519AE7BFB245.jpeg

The house is voting on another $3t of stimulus money today. Should cover the bill perfectly ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WesRJ86 and matkal
The Analog HD wheels look great on the outer 4 or 5 inches but they couldn't resist flattening the ring where the dog dish hub caps would have snapped on (not that the hubcaps would be used anyway). Having the lug nuts recessed in the "counterbores" isn't going to help the look.

The Black Rhino wheels with the cute little circle holes look like FWD minivan wheels until you get close enough to see that they don't really look like any steel wheels.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the YJ I saw last week. Maybe I glad I didn't, they didn't look good. It had a set of CJ wagon wheels that were painted a shiny bronze color. They were definitely CJ wheels and you could easily see the bright aluminum 2" wheel spacer adapters holding them in place.

Here's a picture of Mitsubishi's alloy version of what look like Jackman wheels.

edeaeee84f8b3b7131ace1481501d047.jpg

Reactions: ShredAZ
My Hutchinsons are cast. As were the OZ Racing Alleggeritas on my track car. It's not a surefire sign of poor quality.
I never said anything about poor quality, I am just saying $250 is more than double the cost for other good quality comparable cast aluminum wheels. $250 is getting into the realm of much stronger forged aluminum wheels.

This entire page of excellent quality cast aluminum wheels tops in the following link out at $142 but most are around $108. That's why I was shocked at that $250 cost for that cast aluminum wheel. The style of wheels on this page may not be what everyone wants but it's very representative of the going prices for cast aluminum wheels from American racing, a known high quality manufacturer of aluminum wheels

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=american+racing+ar23+15x8&crid=257IP8E9L6CXU&sprefix=American+racing+AR23+,aps,234&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_21&tag=wranglerorg-20

I never said anything about poor quality, I am just saying $250 is more than double the cost for other good quality cast aluminum wheels. $250 is getting into the realm of much stronger forged aluminum wheels.

This entire page of excellent quality cast aluminum wheels tops out at $142 but most are around $108. That's why I was shocked at that $250 cost for that cast aluminum wheel. The style of wheels on this page may not be what everyone wants but it's very representative of the going prices for cast aluminum wheels from American racing, a known high quality manufacturer of aluminum wheels

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=american+racing+ar23+15x8&crid=257IP8E9L6CXU&sprefix=American+racing+AR23+,aps,234&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_21&tag=wranglerorg-20

I guess my point was that both the other wheels I referenced are known as being high quality cast alloy wheels, and have price tags closer to the $500 mark, and I think are worth every cent of the increased cost.

I guess I was equating what you were considering to just be too expensive, with a perceived notion of them being too expensive for what they are. There are some very strong cast process wheels.

I'm well aware of the available wheels from, say, American Racing, and their price point. Here's my Comanche for instance. (y)

ar.jpg

Reactions: ShredAZ
If I was going to spend closer to $500 for a wheel it would definitely be forged aluminum, which is significantly stronger, and definitely (!) not cast aluminum for that near $500 mark. That's a crazy high price for a cast aluminum wheel for a Jeep. Especially after I had a good quality cast aluminum wheel crack and fail on a tough trail. Granted that doesn't happen often but it happened to me.

My current Walker Evans forged aluminum beadlock wheels at https://walkerevansracing.com/collections/beadlock/products/17x8-5-beadlock-racing-wheels are currently selling for $405 (though I have the discontinued 15x8 size) and you get a hell of a lot more wheel there than the nearly $500 price for those cast aluminum wheels you mentioned.

Fine, you win, whatever. Sorry I was trying to brush off a stigma. I'll go fuck off with my overpriced Hutchinsons lol

Sorry for the thread hijack

99% of the aftermarket wheels available for our platform just look Fudd...

I'm willing to pay an extra $100/wheel for something that excites me even if the performance is comparable to cheaper options.

That said, I'm probably not shelling out $250/pop for a 16" wheel. If they offered a 15" option, I would in a heartbeat.