Almost had to sell the LJ today

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Putting the interior panels on my half doors and stupidly put one of the pull strap screws on the dash. It fell in the crack between the defrost outlet cover and the windshield frame because of course it did.

I pulled the glovebox and the dash speaker and spent an unplanned extra hour and a half in my 105F garage with a mirror, flashlight and magnetic pickup tool poking around in every nook on top of the HVAC housing that I could get to, pulled the blower motor in case it went down the open recirc air door, and was about to give up and accept the likely perpetual rattle I was going to hear every time I drove it. Then I looked from a different angle, and there the little bastard was, hiding on the lower lip of the dash behind where the dash vent duct bolts to the steel dash frame.

PXL_20220718_235750604~2.jpg

PXL_20220718_235348909.jpg

Putting the interior panels on my half doors and stupidly put one of the pull strap screws on the dash. It fell in the crack between the defrost outlet cover and the windshield frame because of course it did.

I pulled the glovebox and the dash speaker and spent an unplanned extra hour and a half in my 105F garage with a mirror, flashlight and magnetic pickup tool poking around in every nook on top of the HVAC housing that I could get to, pulled the blower motor in case it went down the open recirc air door, and was about to give up and accept the likely perpetual rattle I was going to hear every time I drove it. Then I looked from a different angle, and there the little bastard was, hiding on the lower lip of the dash behind where the dash vent duct bolts to the steel dash frame.

View attachment 344105

View attachment 344106

Look on the bright side, you were 1/3 of the way done replacing the heater core. You should've just kept plugging away!

Reminds me of the time I dropped a screw out of the 67 designs dash mount. Wasn’t sure where it went, thought it was under the passenger seat.

Finally fished an extendable magnet into the parking brake hole and tada, there it was. Half hour or so wasted.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

View attachment 344105

View attachment 344106

I dunno whether to laugh or cry. 🤣

When I was putting my newly painted windshield frame and frame hinges on I sat one of the hinge screws on the dash. When I turned around my hand barely caught it and down into the dash it went…
A couple of hours later, using my inspection camera, and I still could not find the thing. Luckily I had extra hinge screws painted body color so I kept on with the installation…
It’s still living in there somewhere. No rattles at least…

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I just kept thinking of how I almost lost my sanity listening to a rattle in my 99 for a year, before finally finding a socket under the driver seat.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
I just kept thinking of how I almost lost my sanity listening to a rattle in my 99 for a year, before finally finding a socket under the driver seat.

I know of an instance where a cage was installed that had a side to side connecting tube between the uprights that made up the B pillar and a BB was put in that tube. It made a neat sound rolling back and forth on turns. I rather enjoyed it. The owner, not so much.

I know of an instance where a cage was installed that had a side to side connecting tube between the uprights that made up the B pillar and a BB was put in that tube. It made a neat sound rolling back and forth on turns. I rather enjoyed it. The owner, not so much.
That's funny stuff right there - I don't care who you are.

One time I was finished with a bathroom remodel and went to install a tissue holder and before I was done there was a hole in the drywall big enough to stick your hand in

I had a buddy rebuilding a motor and somebody dropped something down in the engine that was helping him that was known for that kind of thing and of course it grenaded-The same guy plugged my seven pin trailer harness in about 90° wrong which is theoretically impossible and I turned on the lights and it threw power to the trailer brakes and nearly put me through the windshield

I absolutely hate when something basic goes haywire- I truly truly understand

Reactions: SvtLdr
Two things I have learned when working on a vehicle. Gravity does not affect the direction dirt, screws, bolts, or nuts fall. Dirt goes straight for your eyes, the others to the smallest, inaccessible openings.

• Haha
Reactions: sab and JMT
Two things I have learned when working on a vehicle. Gravity does not affect the direction dirt, screws, bolts, or nuts fall. Dirt goes straight for your eyes, the others to the smallest, inaccessible openings.

this screw needed several specific bounces to land where it did. Based on where it started, most reasonable people would have expected it to end up in the footwell or in the blower fan...instead it somehow got from behind the dash vent duct to in front of it.

I'm soooo glad the blower is ridiculously easy to remove on the 06. Don't even need any tools. That's awesome. In fact, if I ever do any work in that area again, I'm gonna start up the Jeep and put it in recirc so the door will be open and it will catch whatever falls on it. If it's closed, it would be easy for something to bounce forward and land on some cranny or ledge of the HVAC housing facing the firewall that's impossible to get to.

diabolical