Almost snatched up an LJ today

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
Was too slow again, guy from KC MO drove down and has a deal pending on this one. I am pretty frustrated I missed it. Clean LJR with Mopar bumpers, tire carrier, rockers, both tops, and both sets of doors. Was only asking $18k. I will find the "one" some day, just not today.

I want to buy an LJ rather than stretch my TJ. Would allow me to put the rear seat back in too.

1612304238084.jpg

same down here in Ga. if a nice TJ comes up a decent price you better call quick. i got lucky and found one in DEC. and am now looking for one for my brother. had one friday and was told i was first and to call in the morning. called and owner said a family member decided to take it 🤬

• Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: Hog and John Cooper
Easy, if you're not the original owner.

Yeah, he financed it used. Rather common actually. I considered it when I got mine a year back, but ended up using my HELOC instead as that was a better deal. But even though I have the title myself I still technically have a car payment on it. It's just my house that gets repossessed if I stop paying, lol.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Was too slow again, guy from KC MO drove down and has a deal pending on this one. I am pretty frustrated I missed it. Clean LJR with Mopar bumpers, tire carrier, rockers, both tops, and both sets of doors. Was only asking $18k. I will find the "one" some day, just not today.

I want to buy an LJ rather than stretch my TJ. Would allow me to put the rear seat back in too.

View attachment 223064
F0A571C3-6B45-4D3A-98EA-BD7578C49ACA.png
Came across this online other day. Said had a New Mexico salvage title, front driver fender shown wrecked. 65,000 miles I think.

When I bought both Jeep's I had the cash on hand, or I would have lost out on both. I think as time goes by the only way to buy a good Jeep is to have the cash. The demand for TJ/LJ's is only going to go up.

Talk is cheap cash is king.

Reactions: Irun
When I bought both Jeep's I had the cash on hand, or I would have lost out on both. I think as time goes by the only way to buy a good Jeep is to have the cash. The demand for TJ/LJ's is only going to go up.

Yeah for sure, had I gotten a chance to look and decided to buy I could have went to the guys bank and bought it instantly. Just missed it by a couple hours. He already told a guy from three hours away he could see it first and was ethical enough not to let me jump the line.

I was lucky with mine. PO waited a week before I could fly up to see it. There was a branch of my bank 1/2 mile from him and he took a cashers check. Had the deal done 45 min after I arrived. He had 3 other buyers in the wings. I don’t like to keep that much cash at home and all my banks want a 3 day notice to get more than $5k in cash. Be persistent one will show up. That extra space behind the seat is worth the trouble.

I have the cash, and if I find the right LJ I won’t hesitate. We shall see what the next few months bring. The search is the fun part.

It's really becoming a quick or the dead Market..... If you think about the capability for the money compared to everything else on the market being $35,000 or more new.... A TJ or LJ is a great value.... And a lot of fun for the buck.

It's really becoming a quick or the dead Market..... If you think about the capability for the money compared to everything else on the market being $35,000 or more new.... A TJ or LJ is a great value.... And a lot of fun for the buck.
Agreed! Clean LJs and TJs are only going to rise in price. At this point, grab and go!

Reactions: Starrs and AndyG
I’m in the same boat. Look for a new (used) vehicle every day. I can’t believe the prices! I will only budget $35k but, that doesn’t seem to get very far these days.
Probably need to sell my LJ first. The way you guys talk, I should sell it for $40k in 5 minutes😂

View attachment 223064
If you aren’t averse to traveling for your next LJ keep KSL.com on your radar. They’re the local NBC affiliate here in SLC but for whatever reason have managed to grow their classified section beyond Craigslist and anything else in this part of the country. Everyone out here uses it, lots of TJs/LJs for sale on a regular basis from Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, & Arizona.

Reactions: Hog and AMS417
I may be totally wrong... But I think right now we're really starting to see the beginning of a new era.

You have the production years.

For about 5 years post production the vehicles are still hot merchandise for dealers.

At this stage the vehicle has been around long enough the aftermarket has everything figured out and good ones are still easy to find ...this rolls on another decade with lower mileage specimens getting rarer and rarer . At this point it's well known the TJR is a weapon.

We are now at the next phase -

There are countless badly lifted/rusted/high mileage TJs , and fewer and fewer low mileage/non modified clean ones -

At this stage it's a double whammy with something like the Rubicon- you have a specially designed drive train that can't be recreated cheaply coupled to an already popular body style- So you have a vehicle that had limited production that is also highly sought after.

The posts need to say "Was this TJ/LJ Rubicon a good buy?" Because if it is, it's no longer on the market.

You will see more "want to buy" adds like the KTM300 dirt bikes had going around 2010/11...and the best ones never get listed. It's an "hey man , let me know if you ever want to sell.." market.

I don't think this trend will reverse and you will see higher average prices and occasionally insane "Collins Jeep" type prices. And they will get it.

I've been hooked on keeping up to date on the latest listings around my area. The good deals get snatched up pretty quick. I still remember back when I was shopping for my first TJ in 2019, there were a few instances where I would call within an hour after the listing going up and the seller would say someone else was already on the way. Though I no longer reach out to sellers, I notice the listings for solid deals get deleted within a few hours from going live. I'm tempted to get a Rubi, but I would need to free up some parking space

Reactions: Jamison C
And to think, 5 years ago I sold a super clean LJR with 60K on it for $14.5. It took me 3 months to sell it, because nobody wanted to pay that kind of money for a used non-JK Wrangler. The times they are a changing!