Alternative to 5-760x u-joints?

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
My axles came with 5-760x u-joints and full circle clips. Three caps on one joint failed with low miles due to water in the caps. I tried to use full circle clips, but seems impossible to assemble with the seals attached to the joint body. Watching some videos on assembly with full circles all used seals on the cap. Any ideas?

Brian,
I remember it being a little more difficult but not impossible. I remember having to disassemble one after I forgot to install the full circle clips before installing the caps, but other than that mistake on my part, don't remember it being impossible. Are you having trouble opening the clip enough to get it past the seal and into the groove or is there not enough room to drive the caps. If it is former maybe you need better pliers to open the clip? If it is the latter, drive one cap down lower, install the clip, then drive from the other side until it bottoms out on the clip which should give you enough room.
Not sure how to help, they should go on.

I could not get the u-joint into the ears with a clip on the body, and I tried. The axles are from ECGS I think they may have damaged the seals making it fit.

With the cap off does the ujoint have a post with a tapered side which gives it a little clearance for it to pass the ear?

I know I have seen joints like this but can't remember if 5-760 has it.

IF you disassembled the U joint during installation (removed the cup from the trunion); I would verify one of the needle bearings did not fall to the bottom of the cup which would stop the cup from seating properly on the trunion.

x2 on this. This happened to me a couple of times.

Reactions: DEValken