Alternatives to Mopar ignition coil for 2006 TJ?

View attachment 393284

With the OEM part being discontinued, and I don't want to do the viper coil mod mentioned above. What is the coil that is recommended now?

I would recommend the Blue Streak by Standard ignition. Had one on my 06 for awhile now. About the only one not made in China.

Also running one on my YJ and it was the only one that lasted more than a couple of yrs on it.

Can we stop calling it the Viper coil mod, and start calling it by it's true name the Caravan coil mod?

My apologies I was only referencing the above mentioned solution after I searched for a coil replacement thread. My intent was to not start a new thread since it was already discussed here some time ago.
So what coil is recommended since the MOPAR one is discontinued, is it a Caravan coil?

I would recommend the Blue Streak by Standard ignition. Had one on my 06 for awhile now. About the only one not made in China.

Also running one on my YJ and it was the only one that lasted more than a couple of yrs on it.

Thank you. what is the difference between the 296 and 296T. Maybe I am not seeing the forest for the trees, but when I read the "details" on both they read the same..

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 12.01.05 PM.png

The 296T is their cheap one, made to be price competitive. I would guess it's made in China, but don't know that. 1 yr warranty. $54 @ RockAuto

The 296 is the Blue Streak heavy duty one, made in Poland. Lifetime warranty. $81 at RA

Almost everyone, including NAPA, has to offer the lower priced versions these days to compete with the cheap stuff at the parts stores.

I have the Blue Streak versions on both the YJ and TJ.

My apologies I was only referencing the above mentioned solution after I searched for a coil replacement thread. My intent was to not start a new thread since it was already discussed here some time ago.
So what coil is recommended since the MOPAR one is discontinued, is it a Caravan coil?

No, my apologies I think I may have confused you here. The Viper or Caravan coil is a mod that folks do to replace the factory coil rail with a coil pack and plug wires. It is not a direct replacement for the OE coil rail. If it were mine I would replace it with either the NGK or Delphi. Both are available for under a bill on Rockauto, and both brands are decent in my experience.

NGK 48662 or Delphi GN10529

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The 296T is their cheap one, made to be price competitive. I would guess it's made in China, but don't know that. 1 yr warranty. $54 @ RockAuto

The 296 is the Blue Streak heavy duty one, made in Poland. Lifetime warranty. $81 at RA

Almost everyone, including NAPA, has to offer the lower priced versions these days to compete with the cheap stuff at the parts stores.

I have the Blue Streak versions on both the YJ and TJ.

Copy that and Thanks. Blue Streak 296 from Rock Auto it shall be. Cheers!

No, my apologies I think I may have confused you here. The Viper or Caravan coil is a mod that folks do to replace the factory coil rail with a coil pack and plug wires. It is not a direct replacement for the OE coil rail. If it were mine I would replace it with either the NGK or Delphi. Both are available for under a bill on Rockauto, and both brands are decent in my experience.

NGK 48662 or Delphi GN10529

Ahh... just call me a dumbass. That went right over my head and was to target fixated it appears.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Curious how you determined that the coil was the cause of your misfire...

Well this is an extremely late reply and it this point im not sure im remembering correctly, but I do know that I at first replaced my orignal from factory spark plugs to no avail. But after this I ended up at my local oreillys and picked up a blue streak ignition coil and the misfire had completely went away.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ