Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m new to all this Jeep stuff but been reading a lot and have been learning a lot. I have read through some members build threads and I am kinda lost here.

I’m kinda lost here on the bumper situation when it comes to steel vs a aluminum one, does the weight really matter ? Does weight savings beat out the strength ?

I know I wanna do a stubby bumper with a winch mount but lost on which route I should go ?

Last edited:
So I’m new to all this Jeep stuff but been reading a lot and have been learning a lot. I have read through some members build threads and I am kinda lost here.

I’m kinda lost here on the bumper situation when it comes to steel vs a aluminum one, does the weight really put weigh the strength in this aspect.

I know I wanna do a stubby bumper with a winch mount but lost on which route I should go ?
Savvy, genright, or UCF. I’m sure there are other other brands.

Savvy being the best.

Your second paragraph is a little difficult to decipher.

Last edited:
Savvy is going to be the strongest of the aluminum bumpers. Keeping the Jeep light is very beneficial to it's overall performance. Using well designed aluminum parts is a very good way to achieve this. Savvy is easily the best there is for the TJ.

Between those two, Barnes. It has more attachments to the frame.
It seems nice ( Barnes ) in the long run also may be about same price fishbone needs another 120 for winch mount, and Barnes is only 30 but just needs coating or paint.

would the savvy be significantly better than the Barnes worth the extra 250 bucks.

It seems nice ( Barnes ) in the long run also may be about same price fishbone needs another 120 for winch mount, and Barnes is only 30 but just needs coating or paint.

would the savvy be significantly better than the Barnes worth the extra 250 bucks.
Hard to answer that without comparing the two from a emgineers point of view.
(not me) The Savvy weighs the same as the stock front bumper if that tells you anything. 7lbs, If I recall correctly.

Most wont spend the kind of coin the Savvy cost unless they are really committed to this hobby which is fine, there are lots of bumpers out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: D M
I literally just finished swapping a steel Smittybilt out for a GenRight full aluminum. It saved nearly 40 pounds and I gained almost a full inch of ground clearance on the front. I tried for Savvy but after 6 weeks of waiting and continuous delays I bought the GenRight. I’d argue that Savvynis the best, the GenRight is very nice and FULL aluminum instead of the steel winch guard on the Savvy.

565602DD-9FA5-435E-B3E2-5AC63BC923B3.jpeg

In my opinion you’re a fool if you aren’t running an aluminum bumper. And on that note, a Savvy aluminum bumper is like the crown jewel of bumpers. I’d probably give GenRight and UCF second place.

If the aluminum bumper is going be used as a ramp and a skid, then Savvy is the only option that will last once the reenforcement corners are added. If that is too costly, then several of the steel stubbies are a good base to add all the details that Savvy has that most others don't. My re-engineered Motobilt is nearly everything Savvy is at 5x the weight and half the cost and 10x the work.

If the bumper isn't going to be used and abused, then any aluminum bumper will work if weight is a concern.

Last edited:
In my opinion you’re a fool if you aren’t running an aluminum bumper. And on that note, a Savvy aluminum bumper is like the crown jewel of bumpers. I’d probably give GenRight and UCF second place.
While I won’t debate that Savvy is the as you say “crown jewel”. But to be a fool to not run aluminum well is incorrect. IMO there are reason to run steal. Maybe one wants the ability to be able to modify them self. Maybe one wants a flat tow ability. Not everyone has the resources to work with aluminum. I know I don’t.

While I won’t debate that Savvy is the as you say “crown jewel”. But to be a fool to not run aluminum well is incorrect. IMO there are reason to run steal. Maybe one wants the ability to be able to modify them self. Maybe one wants a flat tow ability. Not everyone has the resources to work with aluminum. I know I don’t.

What do you mean when you say the “resources” to work with aluminum?

Having gone from steel to aluminum, I am mostly thinking of aluminum from a weight savings stand point. I like building light rigs, not heavy ones. Not to say that someone can’t build there’s differently, but unless you have a very specific use case for the steel bumper I see no reason not to run an aluminum bumper.

The weight savings is dramatic to say the least. Keeping weight down on a TJ makes such a big difference.

For better or worse, mine has light mounts and several little extras that I couldn't do as easily on the Savvy. It's one of the compromises to having a heavier steel bumper.

Reactions: pc1p and J R
Maybe if one could actually get a Savvy without waiting for months and them telling you weeks I could see if it’s the “crown jewel”. I will say that this GenRight I picked up is a VERY NICE piece of worksmanship and being FULL aluminum u like the Savvy it is no doubt lighter.

Having gone from steel to aluminum, I am mostly thinking of aluminum from a weight savings stand point. I like building light rigs, not heavy ones. Not to say that someone can’t build there’s differently, but unless you have a very specific use case for the steel bumper I see no reason not to run an aluminum bumper.

The weight savings is dramatic to say the least. Keeping weight down on a TJ makes such a big difference.
So if weight was your main deciding factor why do you buy the heavier Savvy versus GenRight and the full aluminum?

Welding

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Maybe if one could actually get a Savvy without waiting for months and them telling you weeks I could see if it’s the “crown jewel”. I will say that this GenRight I picked up is a VERY NICE piece of worksmanship and being FULL aluminum u like the Savvy it is no doubt lighter.
None of the Savvy details matter if the bumper isn't going to get used for it's purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.