Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For better or worse, mine has light mounts and several little extras that I couldn't do as easily on the Savvy. It's one of the compromises to having a heavier steel bumper.

Didn’t you add extra Frame mounts to duplicate what savvy offers?
That is kind of what I’m getting at. Do as easily. Or for some not at all.

My point was to say a person is a fool is incorrect. We all have our reasons.

Reactions: Zorba
Didn’t you add extra Frame mounts to duplicate what savvy offers?
Every frame hole I could. The winch deck is extended and the winch sits against the grill. The bottom lip is extended up to contact the crossmember so it can't collapse. Lights are mounted close and tight to everything else. A keeper holds the thimble away from danger.

20200929_171938.jpg

As someone that can’t do everything @jjvw can, I wish I wasn’t pressed for time when I bought mine and I did the savvy+hardcore corners. It’s not held me back yet, but I see a few things I’m unhappy with (e.g. the deck depth holding my winch mostly).

Reactions: jjvw
While I won’t debate that Savvy is the as you say “crown jewel”. But to be a fool to not run aluminum well is incorrect. IMO there are reason to run steal. Maybe one wants the ability to be able to modify them self. Maybe one wants a flat tow ability. Not everyone has the resources to work with aluminum. I know I don’t.
I've set up many Savvy fronts for flat tow.

Reactions: J R

Oh, well if we're talking about making our own bumpers here, then yes, steel would be much easier to make yourself.

So if weight was your main deciding factor why do you buy the heavier Savvy versus GenRight and the full aluminum?

How much heavier is the GenRight compared to the Savvy? Have you weighed them both?

I'd pick the Savvy because I know who designed it and I've heard what he's had to say in regards to comparing the Savvy to the GenRight front bumper (aside from weight).

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
As someone that can’t do everything @jjvw can, I wish I wasn’t pressed for time when I bought mine and I did the savvy+hardcore corners. It’s not held me back yet, but I see a few things I’m unhappy with (e.g. the deck depth holding my winch mostly).
I would encourage the Savvy over what I did to mine. It's a lot of work. And the extra lights, license plate, thimble keeper were all done that way just because I could weld it. Most can be done similarly on the Savvy and what can't, I could easily live without to have less weight.

Reactions: rasband
So if weight was your main deciding factor why do you buy the heavier Savvy versus GenRight and the full aluminum?
Stop already. We get it, you're pissy. Do not expect that GR bumper to take the abuse a Savvy will because it won't. I explained that to the owner of this one. It lasted exactly one trip to JV. He was up on a line trying to find some traction, slipped off, fell about a foot, bumper hit a rock sticking up, completely trashed it. It is not 6061T6 and will not stand up to any abuse in the rocks.
DSC_4738.JPG

Stop already. We get it, you're pissy. Do not expect that GR bumper to take the abuse a Savvy will because it won't. I explained that to the owner of this one. It lasted exactly one trip to JV. He was up on a line trying to find some traction, slipped off, fell about a foot, bumper hit a rock sticking up, completely trashed it. It is not 6061T6 and will not stand up to any abuse in the rocks. View attachment 229598

I'm watching a GR die a slower death out here, too.

Reactions: rasband
I would encourage the Savvy over what I did to mine. It's a lot of work. And the extra lights, license plate, thimble keeper were all done that way just because I could weld it. Most can be done similarly on the Savvy and what can't, I could easily live without to have less weight.

Some of what I want to do is aesthetic and other is functional, some is both. After I dial in my plan I’ll pull some triggers. One thing I like is savvy doesn’t carve out their logo in every component!

Oh no, not at all because I'm the sort that calls every aluminum front bumper a Savvy bumper.
ok my fault there. When you said “set up” I assumed you were meaning something more along the lines of “set up different from your original design”

Reactions: Alex01
Status
Not open for further replies.