Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case you missed it I had the Savvy bumper in order for six weeks, then they said it would be another two and I’d had enough waiting. Customer service has value and if Savvy was smart they would get in the gas and hire more production guys and be realistic with their ETAs. Customer service is the sole reason I went with GR...although I TRIED to buy the Savvy first.

B725CBA9-9472-48CF-B30C-CCD5F6037C3E.jpeg

I buy a lot from savvy, and this notice isn’t new.

View attachment 229643

I buy a lot from savvy, and this notice isn’t new.
I was fully aware of the website disclaimer so I called them direct. They said it would be 2 weeks, two weeks past so I called at 4 weeks, then at 5 then at 6 and every time it was another week until week 6 when they said another 2. Good customer service would know their backlog and give accurate backorder ETAs, not drag the customer along for quadruple the original ETA. Meanwhile they took my payment in full and if they had no accurate ETA they could have billed when the item shipped. All this boils down to customer service.

• Wow
Reactions: Sancho and Plumber1
Nor was it centered around yours yet you gave your opinion and nobody criticized it. I gave my feedback and because it wasn’t Savvy it was criticized.
If there was a criticism, it was directed at the implication that both are comparable and this is not true. I know which bumper I copied details from and it wasn't Genright.

If there was a criticism, it was directed at the implication that both are comparable and this is not true. I know which bumper I copied details from and it wasn't Genright
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it doesn’t mean the one you copied is best for everyone.

• Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
...However, if you knew the story of Savvy and all the details, I don't think you'd be singing the same tune that you are...
I find that a fascinating comment Chris, care to expand?

The consistent theme on here seems to be Savvy has great products, but they have issues with running their business in terms of logistics, customer communication and customer service. I find it interesting enough to have had a quick look at them on Dun & Bradstreet and from what they say the business is tiny, but I have to say I am very suspicious about the turnover figure D&B shows, it just looks too small.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
So most people on here are talking about the weight savings is the main reason to go with aluminum, and if you buy quality bumper then it will be strong.

the Savvy is about 50lbs per their website the way I had it configured
the barnes is 42 lbs the way I have it configured

Would that be in the right ballpark for weight to keep it down ?

Let me preface with this I live in East Tennessee this Jeep will be on forrest roads and all kinds of dirt gravel backwoods stuff, I am definitely not going rock crawling the main reason I need a new bumper besides I want something a touch smaller and my factory one is beat up, I want a winch mount with some protection for being in the woods.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
So most people on here are talking about the weight savings is the main reason to go with aluminum, and if you buy quality bumper then it will be strong.

Let me preface with this I live in East Tennessee this Jeep will be on forrest roads and all kinds of dirt gravel backwoods stuff, I am definitely not going rock crawling the main reason I need a new bumper besides I want something a touch smaller and my factory one is beat up, I want a winch mount with some protection for being in the woods.
Savvy needs to correct their bumper weight. It does not weight 50lbs.

Blaine, honest question here. Why does something like the safety thimble fairlead exist when the JK/JL bumpers with the tucked winches have the fairlead and thimble sticking right out the front in harm's way? Not trying to crap on the design, just curious!

View attachment 229633
I had nothing to do with that bumper.

The Savvy bumper is about 10 lbs. I can lift it easily with one finger. That weight you are reading on their website is grossly inaccurate.

ok my fault there. When you said “set up” I assumed you were meaning something more along the lines of “set up different from your original design”
No, I've modified tow hooks, bolted tow bar receivers to the face, etc., just depends on the tow bar.

Reactions: J R
And it’s purpose is to what? Carry a winch and act as a bumper? Although not everyone is using their bumper as a ramp it doesn’t mean it isn’t being used for its intended purpose.
That's correct which is why I warned against abusing it in the rocks.

I’m not pissy but it definitely seems some of you are on the Savvy band wagon and as you designed it you have the right to be. However are you telling me that that same situation that happened to the GR bumper would not have damaged or destroyed the Savvy?
Observation is not a position. Just because I know what will happen doesn't mean that I am in favor of anything else or on a bandwagon.

Reactions: jjvw
According to Savvy’s claimed weight from Gerald himself the GR is 3 pounds lighter. And because you spoke to Blaine about his design and he justified it does that mean you also spoke with the GR engineer to hear what his claimed benefits were for his design? I get it, you support those who support you and Blaine is on here helping, designing and developing great products. Hell I’ve bought some. It when it comes down to Savvy dragging a customer along for over six weeks and keep adding more and more time to the ETA...that’s shitty customer service and GR treated me well and delivered when they said they would.
The weight is wrong on the website. The Savvy front weighs less than a stock front bumper apples to apples. Throw the hardware, corners, and bumper on a scale and it is less than a stock front with the rubber bumpers and milk jugs with hooks and hardware.

When you want me to modify a big brake kit to work with a hub conversion, I do my part in 24 hours or less exclusive of weekends. I will tell you right up front that once the parts go to the machine shop, it is not in my control and it can take from 2 days to 2 months to get them back depending on what is going on. They won't break down a job on a machine to run my pair or two pair of rotors.

I have had several instances before I started that policy where I would call the machine shop, get told a delivery date and give that to the customer only to have been lied to. I no longer do that, I just tell them that it will get here when it gets here and there is nothing I can do to speed it up. We work with the best info we have and since I don't like lying to customers for any reason or cause, the only way I don't is to tell them I DO NOT KNOW how long it will take and if that is too long, wait to send the parts until it isn't.

If I had to chose aluminum (I'll keep my steel and my $$$ as it suits my needs) I'd go Genright. Why? Simply because if I want a Genright bumper I can go down to where they make them and get one. If there is a problem, I can go down there and solve it. I've met a lot of the Genright guys. They don't have as many people swinging off their nuts as Savvy but they are still a mostly respected brand, mostly friendly and open, and they are not hard to get ahold of either by phone or in person. Doesn't matter how good a product is if you can't get it or you can't afford it.

I’m not pissy but it definitely seems some of you are on the Savvy band wagon and as you designed it you have the right to be. However are you telling me that that same situation that happened to the GR bumper would not have damaged or destroyed the Savvy?
Savvy after many trails in JV.
1614439447388.png

edit to add pics of the other one we killed in JV in one trip.

1614441174148.png

1614441257748.png

Note lack of other marks elsewhere indicating previous trail miles in JV.

Last edited:
If I had to chose aluminum (I'll keep my steel and my $$$ as it suits my needs) I'd go Genright. Why? Simply because if I want a Genright bumper I can go down to where they make them and get one. If there is a problem, I can go down there and solve it. I've met a lot of the Genright guys. They don't have as many people swinging off their nuts as Savvy but they are still a mostly respected brand, mostly friendly and open, and they are not hard to get ahold of either by phone or in person. Doesn't matter how good a product is if you can't get it or you can't afford it.
We all buy stuff for different reasons. Customer service, assuming it is ever needed, is a once per purchase event. What I actually care about is the final product, it's performance and the expectation that I won't need to contact the seller with any future problems once I have the thing I bought.

Yeah you are, you were very pissy in this thread...

We all buy stuff for different reasons. Customer service, assuming it is ever needed, is a once per purchase event. What I actually care about is the final product, it's performance and the expectation that I won't need to contact the seller with any future problems once I have the thing I bought.
Please....

If addressing half the stuff that breaks on our Jeeps (including OEM parts) was as easy to a quick trip to a China.

I've got a shit ton of Garvin stuff on my Jeep too. I've never had any issue with it. I purchased it and continued to purchase it for the same reason I listed.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Vasq and jjvw
Status
Not open for further replies.