Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting factoid. The GenRight bumper @mrblaine posted the picture of that had the side ripped out does NOT detail 6061-T6 aluminum on the description. It simply says “Formed from heavy duty 3/16” thick aluminum plate.”

I wonder if the owner of that bumper had a conversation with them and they fixed that description but failed to update all of the others.

Regardless I’m still waiting for a response from them.

Interesting factoid. The GenRight bumper @mrblaine posted the picture of that had the side ripped out does NOT detail 6061-T6 aluminum on the description. It simply says “Formed from heavy duty 3/16” thick aluminum plate.”

I wonder if the owner of that bumper had a conversation with them and they fixed that description but failed to update all of the others.

https://www.howardprecision.com/aluminum-plate-or-sheets-whats-the-difference/

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
I learned lots more about aluminum alloys and fabricating them for our purposes in this thread. Thanks!
Seriously me too. Nice to know the real deal on how this shit is made. 20 years ago I don't think we would have seen much aluminum in HD applications on Jeeps, it was all steel and super heavy. Having our Jeeps be a little lighter, but still HD helps.

Have you called them?

Reactions: reddvltj

I have one of the bumpers that do say 6061-T6, it didn't say that 10 years ago when I bought it but even if it did the welded corners un-temper the metal so the corner is a weak spot.

Update. I spoke to GR, they are working with me to make it right and 100% admitted that the 6061-T6 was incorrect on the website. They did say the the tubing was 6061-T6 however agreed that the sheet metal portion was deceiving. They are correcting their website as we speak and apologized for the incorrect info and wished that any of their customers on the forum will continue to trust in their products. It was a very pleasant call and again I will say that their customer service is top notch.

Update. I spoke to GR, they are working with me to make it right and 100% admitted that the 6061-T6 was incorrect on the website. They did say the the tubing was 6061-T6 however agreed that unless the sheet metal portion was it was deceiving. They are correcting their website as we speak and apologized for the incorrect info and wished that any of their customers on the forum will continue to trust in their products. It was a very pleasant call and again I will say that their customer service is top notch.
Tell them to change the one that doesn't have a tube as well ;)

Last edited:
I have one of the bumpers that do say 6061-T6, it didn't say that 10 years ago when I bought it but even if it did the welded corners un-temper the metal so the corner is a weak spot.
There is a subject we have not touched on "Heat affected zone", what happens when we weld Aluminum? Similar to Mild steel? Does the harder Aluminum react like T1 or AR plate (pick you poison)....Like Ross Perot, I am all ears.

There is a subject we have not touched on "Heat affected zone", what happens when we weld Aluminum? Similar to Mild steel? Does the harder Aluminum react like T1 or AR plate (pick you poison)....Like Ross Perot, I am all ears.
When you weld, the area around it becomes ductile (more flexible) and essentially “removes” the heat treat (in this case T6). T6 heat treat is used to make the material more rigid (less ductile) and resist bending.

Reactions: WSS and DrDmoney
Update. I spoke to GR, they are working with me to make it right and 100% admitted that the 6061-T6 was incorrect on the website. They did say the the tubing was 6061-T6 however agreed that the sheet metal portion was deceiving. They are correcting their website as we speak and apologized for the incorrect info and wished that any of their customers on the forum will continue to trust in their products. It was a very pleasant call and again I will say that their customer service is top notch.
That's good to hear. Given the reply I received was on a Saturday evening it may well have not been fully thought through. Every business makes mistakes, one measure of a good business is a willingness to learn from the mistakes and solve any resulting issues, well IMHO anyway.

Edit: looks like website already changed

Last edited:
When you weld, the area around it becomes ductile (more flexible) and essentially “removes” the heat treat (in this case T6). T6 heat treat is used to make the material more rigid (less ductile) and resist bending.
How big is the HAZ? What are the rules? I know AR500 and other austinetic materials have a set standard when you preheat and use the correct parameters. In the type of application my company does, we eliminate the HAZ by adding carbon, at 1800º F (-ish, depends on material make up), carbon migrates. We add pure Tungsten Carbide (WC) to the weld to replace what the heat took away, and then some LOL.
IMG_7574.JPG
IMG_7573.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.