Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
How big is the HAZ? What are the rules? I know AR500 and other austinetic materials have a set standard when you preheat and use the correct parameters. In the type of application my company does, we eliminate the HAZ by adding carbon, at 1800º F (-ish, depends on material make up), carbon migrates. We add pure Tungsten Carbide (WC) to the weld to replace what the heat took away, and then some LOL.

http://www.ierjournal.org/sveri/11....Zone of Al-6061 alloy for GMAW weld joint.pdf
This is a really good read on the specifics of welding plain 6061. The graphs a few pages in are great visuals.

• Love
Reactions: WSS and DrDmoney
That's good to hear. Given the reply I received was on a Saturday evening it may well have not been fully thought through. Every business makes mistakes, one measure of a good business is a willingness to learn from the mistakes and solve any resulting issues, well IMHO anyway.

Edit: looks like website already changed
They were super apologetic and concerned of the damage to their image so that’s good they jumped on it ASAP.

Hoping not to spark another debate here, but Is there a decent aluminium bumper any of you would recommend for someone who doesn't want to spend Savvy level money and also won't be doing any rock crawling. Best bang for your buck aluminium bumper essentially?

Update. I spoke to GR, they are working with me to make it right and 100% admitted that the 6061-T6 was incorrect on the website. They did say the the tubing was 6061-T6 however agreed that the sheet metal portion was deceiving. They are correcting their website as we speak and apologized for the incorrect info and wished that any of their customers on the forum will continue to trust in their products. It was a very pleasant call and again I will say that their customer service is top notch.
Would it not have been easier, far less painful, and thread shortening by magnitudes to just listen when smart folks tell you something? Post 31 should have been you saying, "Oh, I did not know that about 6061 T6, but now that I do, I'll get in touch with GR and see if they have something to say or do about that.

But no, we have to go on for 16 fucking pages before it finally gets to that.

Would it not have been easier, far less painful, and thread shortening by magnitudes to just listen when smart folks tell you something? Post 31 should have been you saying, "Oh, I did not know that about 6061 T6, but now that I do, I'll get in touch with GR and see if they have something to say or do about that.

But no, we have to go on for 16 fucking pages before it finally gets to that.
Seeing that you want to reignite this Blaine.

You are correct except until post 91,99 and 116 you didn’t explain why, it simply stated it wasn’t 6061-T6, no reason for me to understand that 6061-T6 couldn’t be bent like that. Also by post 137 it was clear that I may not be able to trust GRs website and until that around post 116 it was your opinion for all I knew. GenRight as far as I knew had a great reputation and I wasn’t aware of some other conversation at some other time who knows when in the past. It was a learning experience for me.

If maybe you had explained why it couldn’t have been 6061-T6 with the information provided later I would have had to taken the word of you “smart folks” of which I have no idea your credentials or that maybe GenRights website was correct. All in all it finally came out as to why it could not be 6061-T6 at which point I stopped debating it.

So throwing this back on you...wouldn’t it have been easier to say “hey, their website isn’t correct and there is no way 6061-T6 can be bent into a 90 degree angle without breaking. Here is some info you should check out so you understand and you might reach out to them because you bought something that isn’t what they claim it to be”.

But no, we had to go on for 16 fucking pages before it finally got to that.

I’m sure you will have some smart ass shitty response to all of this to drag it out further so let’s hear it but first. You were right, I said you were right, I was wrong, GenRight was wrong so you can put another notch in your ego belt and be on with your day.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Seeing that you want to reignite this Blaine.

You are correct except until post 91,99 and 116 you didn’t explain why, it simply stated it wasn’t 6061-T6, no reason for me to understand that 6061-T6 couldn’t be bent like that. Also by post 137 it was clear that I may not be able to trust GRs website and until that around post 116 it was your opinion for all I knew. GenRight as far as I knew had a great reputation and I wasn’t aware of some other conversation at some other time who knows when I’m the past. It was a learning experience for me.

If maybe you had explained why it couldn’t have been 6061-T6 with the information provided later I would have had to taken the word of you “smart folks” of which I have no idea you credentials or that maybe GenRights website was correct. All in all it finally came out as to why it could not be 6061-T6 at which point I stopped debating it.

So throwing this back on you...wouldn’t it have been easier to say “hey, their website isn’t correct and there is no way 6061-T6 can be bent into a 90 degree angle without breaking. Here is some info you should check out so you understand and you might reach out to them because you bought something that isn’t what they claim it to be”.

But no, we had to go on for 16 fucking pages before it finally got to that.

I’m sure you will have some smart ass shitty response to all of this to drag it out further so let’s hear it but first. You were right, I said you were right, I was wrong, GenRight was wrong so you can put another notch in your ego belt and be on with your day.
But it can be bent to a 90* angle without breaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.