Am I a bad guy if I don't participate in the Jeep wave?

As far as rock crawlers versus overlanding rigs. I like them all. In Ohio sometimes all we can do it go for a little road-trip. Not a lot of places under the Great Lakes to go off-road unless you’re at least 3 hours away from home…

Being near the mountains changes things for sure, in a few ways. For example, we have a lot of rigs sporting hilifts with stock rockers and bumpers.... Aka unusable jewelry.

I see more and more people waving these days. I think part of it is who is buying JT and JL Jeeps, especially the hybrids. Maybe they enjoy being part of a community, the duck might help that. I was just at Rock Front OHV and gave the wave to a CJ2a and talked for a few minutes on the trail. Nobody else driving a Ford or Toyota in the group said two words to the guy. I thought it was cool and asked him if it had an overdrive. It's not just me, there are allot of Jeep owners out there that think we're part of something more than just owning an SUV. I always try to wave, I feel bad when I miss one, especially a newer Jeep that waves to me. Wave if you can, it's a good thing.

I thought the Jeep wave was lame at first but I got sucked in. Now if they don't wave back I immediately think "fuck that dude!". I'm not down with the ducks.... lets all make a bunch of plastic trash to celebrate enjoying the outdoors. Saw some dude with a full ice chest of them. Fuck that dude too

I get waved at towing it. Wtf?!!

Same, I had a giant mall crawler JT with 40" tires on factory axles and a family of ducks on the dash wave at me on the highway while I was towing my Jeep. I literally rolled my eyes, the wife laughed and called me a snob. It was probably a 50-ish year old woman driving it. Everyone has fun in different ways I guess.

I don't initiate "the wave" but I'll usually respond out of courtesy.

My entire wheeling life I have been treated like garbage on the trail by jeep snobs when driving things other than a jeep.
Be honest. You kinda deserved it. 🧐

Not waving at JK's is just rude. I wave at all newer Jeeps and Biden supporters. (Driver's side lower corner) :poop:
BRAND NEW PIC (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and Claybirdd
The real question is, do you wave when you're not in a jeep out of habit? Then the Jeep driver is looking at you like wtf?? 😆

I wave, I don't care about the year. You want to excitement, wave at an xj from an lj. They get excited.

There is enough negativity in this world, waving and the smile is cheap and easy feel good points. Some of you schmucks need to lighten up.

I will say I noticed the wave once I got lj a few years ago. First jeep but have never really been a brand snob just had old Toyotas because they use to be cheap. So I went from jeep people hating on my Toyota pickup to being an accepted member of the club. It was an expensive transition though!

Last edited:
I'll wave TJ or older, I don't wave at JK's or newer unless they wave first.

There is a hierarchy to the wave.. Newest is supposed to wave first out of respect to the OG. That ain't happening around here. We do have quite a few wave stickers on JK/JL mirrors. Kind of like getting on an elevator and not acknowledging anyone and not making eye contact? Does that count as waving first? Same people driving all summer with the hard top on, windows up and AC blasting. Not sure what that's all about.

Basically next to nobody waves and if they do, only a small percentage actually understand. If you have usable mods, I wave. Hi-Lift doesn't count. Light cubes.. maybe, but I'm not impressed. Grills or anything that reduces light output.. don't deserve a wave. Low profile wagon wheels.. No wave. I look the other way. Same goes for the poor JK/JL with the entire Shittybilt or EAG catalog hanging off their jeep, or a set of totally useless ugly fenders that remind me of Fruit Ninja...

Why... just tell me why you would do this...
IMG_4228.JPG

Can't imagine surfing the web looking at fender options and stopping at this ^^^^. and saying.. yes, THOSE are the ones I want. You sir.. NO WAVE to you and if you wave to me... Nope, I ain't waving back.

I'll wave back to anybody that waves at me. Even a complete stranger in a pickup while I'm in a rented Kia.

I only initiate a Jeep wave if it looks like a build I could appreciate.

I don't participate in the duck thing but I don't get pissed off if I get one. I figure it's just somebodys way of telling me they think my jeep is cool. I'm not gonna display it on the dash. I've only ever gotten one and it was handed directly to me in an ice cream drive-through. It went straight to the kids in the back seat and now it's buried in their absurd room of toys.

I've been testing the middle finger with mixed results. The more engaged drivers will re-route and flag me down for a spirited roadside conversation. Not sure if this is having a positive or negative effect, but I am meeting new and exciting people.