Am I getting scammed?

Stef

I think I got involved into some shady business. I took my Jeep to a shop close to my base to do a V8 swap in November and pretty much haven’t seen it since.

I contacted BAR but is there anything else I can do? I fear the shop will birch my In reprisal.

I started a go fund me page to get support and spread word in the San Diego area. The full story is up there as well, feel free to check it out.

https://www.gofundme.com/yq2why-help-me-get-my-car-back

I smell something fishy here. Your shady business should go to the cops not in this forum if you are legit. And do not use the word "military" for I am deeply offended. We take pride of that word, me coming from a military family with a lot of pride and dignity. Go straight to the cops and explain your story there, not here. In return, if the cops will ask for donation to re-coup your car, I will be the first one to help. But right now you just pissed me off.

Last edited:
I am not shure how soliciting donations will help your situation. You need to spend your efforts with shop or local law enforcement to produce your vehicle

The only reason I set up the page is because after contacting the BAR I was informed that they weren’t liscenced or authorized to work on the car. I’m already going through a financial hardship & may have to reverse what ever was done to the vehicle.

Did you get any references before going to this shop? What V-8 is suppose to be getting swapped into the Jeep? Is a LS engine or a Hemi? Being in southern CA there are many shops that are talked about on Jeep boards that do these swaps. Did you research any of them? How did you find this shop?

And I am sorry but what does being a service member have to do with trusting or not trusting a shop? I'm a veteran but made sure the shop I was going to have work on my Jeep was reputable.

Did you get any references before going to this shop? What V-8 is suppose to be getting swapped into the Jeep? Is a LS engine or a Hemi? Being in southern CA there are many shops that are talked about on Jeep boards that do these swaps. Did you research any of them? How did you find this shop?

And I am sorry but what does being a service member have to do with trusting or not trusting a shop? I'm a veteran but made sure the shop I was going to have work on my Jeep was reputable.

I went with this shop because it was the most affordable option for me, and the navy also contracts them out to do work on there government vehicles, I figured they would be military friendly. I wasn’t trying to pull the vet card or anything.

I smell something fishy here. Your shady business should go to the cops not in this forum if you are legit. And do not use the word "military" for I am deeply offended. We take pride of that word, me coming from a military family with a lot of pride and dignity. Go straight to the cops and explain your story there, not here. In return, if the cops will ask for donation to re-coup your car, I will be the first one to help. But right now you just pissed me off.
I did go to the cops, I came here looking for more advice.

I did go to the cops, I came here looking for more advice.
Cops are all you need. There’s nothing anybody on this forum that the local PDs can’t do. They should have this taken care of for you already. Do you have title for your vehicle? Have you reported it stolen? Do you have any proof of ownership? Get your jeep back. This is nuts

Well so you went to them because they were cheaper and I get that being on active duty for years. If they are a known shop with the Navy have you talked to JAG and asked them if there is anything they can do? Without knowing the name of the shop I am not sure what we can do other than offer the advise already given. As Starrs just said you can demand your vehicle be returned.

I
Well so you went to them because they were cheaper and I get that being on active duty for years. If they are a known shop with the Navy have you talked to JAG and asked them if there is anything they can do? Without knowing the name of the shop I am not sure what we can do other than offer the advise already given. As Starrs just said you can demand your vehicle be returned.
went today to demand the car, owner wasn’t there nor was he answering his phone

Platinum Auto Sport's yelp says the business is closed. They also have terrible reviews. You don't have the name of the shop that is supposedly working on it? Just tell them you are reporting the car stolen and do it.

This is also Platinum Auto Sport's first photo on yelp. You can't honestly tell me you gave these people your Jeep right?

Well I say your first step other than contacting the local police is to go to JAG and ask them if they can help you.
I haven't lived in CA since 1993 so I am not familiar anymore with the laws and rules. I didn't know that the shop had to BAR approved to do the engine swap. I just thought it had to pass a CARB inspection after the fact. While I was stationed at Ft Ord I helped a buddy do a V-8 swap on his YJ and that is what we had to do.

I wasn’t trying to offend anyone or make any money.

I’m just going through this, thought I’d come here your thoughts. Maybe get more options.

Sorry if I offended y’all, I’ll delete the post and just pm tj and his jag dad