Ammo case center console

Kiwi TJ

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
OK so after 8 weeks of grabbing spare time here and there I finally finished my ammo box center console. Thought Id do a quick right up.
Start off with 2 50 cal ammo boxes....( Fat 50 cal boxes would be better as they are wider (but rare down here)
am1.jpg

Cut the bottoms out of both and shave the handles too and weld together and of course grind down the welds.
ammo box1.JPG

ammo box2.JPG

am15.jpg

I then made 4 brackets out of some L shaped aluminum I had laying around.
am6.JPG

I rivetted those to the bottom of the stacked boxes making sure they will clear the handbrake bracket between the seats.
am8.jpg

I measured how high the handbreak came up and cut a slot adding another inch to be safe.

am14.jpg

Found some smaller brackets and riveted 6 of those to make a shelf
am10.jpg

Grabbed some old plywood measured and trimmed down to fit inside followed by a stain.(Made a hole on the top so I can take it out if I need to get to the handbrake below)
am17.JPG

Next came the etch primer (2 coats) and a primer filler after that.....masked off the inside and rattled canned satin black.
am11.JPG

am12.JPG

am13.JPG

I had my local auto parts store make up 2 cans of Chrysler blue paint doesn't quite match the Jeep steel blue but close enough. Painted the box and dash console again to make sure at least they matched.
am23.jpg

ammo.JPG

Assembled the box and fixed it in place …(will eventually bolt it down properly using rivet nuts, so I can take it out for touch ups and fixing the handbrake if needed)
am22.jpg

am20.JPG

am21.JPG

am19.JPG

Will probably tweak things as I need them (like being able to lock it etc)
Wish my metal work skills were better but my Jeeps not perfect so this doesn't need to be either.
This could be done in a weekend easily if you not a solo Dad with 2 girls haha