An Opportunity to Truly Help

If there is a true interest in this, let me know. Unless there is a printer in the group, I can get the finished product at a very reasonable rate. I am not interested in doing the shipping and send out....I have enough on my plate. Someone else will have to step up.
I'm only buying it if @Squatch is doorless, topless (body/Jeep), and that beautiful beard is blowing in the breeze. Who knows, maybe we can get @AndyG to take his helmet off for a picture.

Okay I've tried to PM everyone who sent me funds thru the mail that I could identify. When I get something from someone with your actual name but not your screen name I can't always identify who you are. But all the donations are greatly appreciated and just know that this is going to a good cause. We're moving along with the repairs to the car and will be getting it repaired ASAP.

Thanks again.

@Chris, I too have been through this many years ago. You will be able to eat and actually have an appetite again. I came out the other side of it a better person. I met the love of my life 5 years later, and we've been together for 25 years now. I wish you the best man! Hang in there.

Is this email still accurate for Paypal contributions? [email protected]

@Chris, I too have been through this many years ago. You will be able to eat and actually have an appetite again. I came out the other side of it a better person. I met the love of my life 5 years later, and we've been together for 25 years now. I wish you the best man! Hang in there.

Yes it is.

Just remember to send it friends & family for no fees

Any updates?
There's been a couple hiccups since I first dropped the engine off with @qslim. He started inspecting the bearings and took a look at cleaning up the rust in the cylinders and in the middle of doing so found a some pitting within the stroke of the cylinder that he couldn't hone out. Shortly there after he had a little accident at work that slowed him down a little bit but he kept going. We are currently having the block looked at by a machine shop to see if the pitting can be cleaned up without boring it to the point of needing sleeves. If so we intend on going forward with the machine work and a new set of pistons and rings.

I'm going to post this on the update page as well.

There's been a couple hiccups since I first dropped the engine off with @qslim. He started inspecting the bearings and took a look at cleaning up the rust in the cylinders and in the middle of doing so found a some pitting within the stroke of the cylinder that he couldn't hone out. Shortly there after he had a little accident at work that slowed him down a little bit but he kept going. We are currently having the block looked at by a machine shop to see if the pitting can be cleaned up without boring it to the point of needing sleeves. If so we intend on going forward with the machine work and a new set of pistons and rings.

I'm going to post this on the update page as well.
Thank you very much for the update. Hope @qslim is doing okay from his accident at work.

Thank you very much for the update. Hope @qslim is doing okay from his accident at work.
I’m fine, thanks for the concern. I slipped down an aircraft stand last week, took a bit of a tumble like an idiot & tweaked my back. Had flashbacks to boot camp when I got lit up by a DI for not holding a hand rail as a ran down some steps. I’m back in fighting shape but currently in NC with the family visiting my mom, she has an awesome place in the river & I’m just chowing down books on my kindle while the kids play in the pool.

Anyway, as I was cleaning the block up my original plan was to just slap the head on & let her rip, but one thing I noticed that I really didn’t like was that as I was spraying down the cylinders with oil & wiping them down the oil kept turning a nasty rust color when I turned the crank & cycled the pistons, mostly in #2 & 3. Those cylinders were both down while it sat, and it bugged me enough that I decided to remove the lower block/upper oil pan receiver so I could remove the pistons, maybe change the rings.

After that I found a real gnarly spot on the #2 cylinder that was right at the bottom of the stroke where the rings sat. Couldn’t in good conscious put it back together & send it like that. There’s a great machine shop right down the street from me, so I took the block over there to see what they can do about boring the cylinders to get rid of the pitting that resulted from corrosion. They said it wasn’t the worst they’ve ever seen, but the thing about corrosion is that you don’t know how deep it goes until you start getting into it. They’re gonna run some bores in the worst cylinder to see if it cleans up, if it does then we’ll bore the other cylinders to match, I’ll get some oversized pistons to accommodate, and we’ll be good. .20 & .40 over are the options for this particular engine

If it’s too deep to clean up then we’ll reevaluate our options at that point.

DC9F048F-67E2-444C-AD8A-D1378EDB3CA4.jpeg

8F469338-57C4-42F5-9934-EA3212745AFD.jpeg

I’m fine, thanks for the concern. I slipped down an aircraft stand last week, took a bit of a tumble like an idiot & tweaked my back. Had flashbacks to boot camp when I got lit up by a DI for not holding a hand rail as a ran down some steps. I’m back in fighting shape but currently in NC with the family visiting my mom, she has an awesome place in the river & I’m just chowing down books on my kindle while the kids play in the pool.

Anyway, as I was cleaning the block up my original plan was to just slap the head on & let her rip, but one thing I noticed that I really didn’t like was that as I was spraying down the cylinders with oil & wiping them down the oil kept turning a nasty rust color when I turned the crank & cycled the pistons, mostly in #2 & 3. Those cylinders were both down while it sat, and it bugged me enough that I decided to remove the lower block/upper oil pan receiver so I could remove the pistons, maybe change the rings.

After that I found a real gnarly spot on the #2 cylinder that was right at the bottom of the stroke where the rings sat. Couldn’t in good conscious put it back together & send it like that. There’s a great machine shop right down the street from me, so I took the block over there to see what they can do about boring the cylinders to get rid of the pitting that resulted from corrosion. They said it wasn’t the worst they’ve ever seen, but the thing about corrosion is that you don’t know how deep it goes until you start getting into it. They’re gonna run some bores in the worst cylinder to see if it cleans up, if it does then we’ll bore the other cylinders to match, I’ll get some oversized pistons to accommodate, and we’ll be good. .20 & .40 over are the options for this particular engine

You definitely made the right call.

View attachment 255736

View attachment 255737

View attachment 255738
Looks like it had some moisture sitting in that hole eating at the cylinder wall. Hopefully it’ll clean up at .020 over. And the engine will be even better with a clean up bore and new rings and pistons.

Good call @qslim! If it’s apart that far, might as well do it right!