An Opportunity to Truly Help

What is the assembly goop you use?

I've always used Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZJFE0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's looking great and good job as always.

STA-Lube by CRC. I used to use Lucas & Ultra-Slick, but those are more like oils. I prefer the greasy consistency because it doesn't drip all over everything, get into threaded holes where it doesn't belong, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M8RYUE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I also like the fact that (in my head at least) it'll stay put for those first few seconds of cranking. On this particular car we're going to pull the ECM fuse from under the hood when we crank it for the first time, which will disable the engine computer & keep it from firing. Crank it over and over like that for 30 or 45 seconds, let oil get everywhere & wash out the assembly lube, then replace the fuse & let it rip.

STA-Lube by CRC. I used to use Lucas & Ultra-Slick, but those are more like oils. I prefer the greasy consistency because it doesn't drip all over everything, get into threaded holes where it doesn't belong, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M8RYUE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I also like the fact that (in my head at least) it'll stay put for those first few seconds of cranking. On this particular car we're going to pull the ECM fuse from under the hood when we crank it for the first time, which will disable the engine computer & keep it from firing. Crank it over and over like that for 30 or 45 seconds, let oil get everywhere & wash out the assembly lube, then replace the fuse & let it rip.

DAMN wish I'd known about that STA-Lube before I'd assembled my current engine. Granted I've never had issues with my assembly lube but I agree I like the look of the sta-lube.

I've got a primer shaft so my plans are to fill the engine with oil before I drop in into the Jeep for the final time and then prime the engine to make sure everything is pumping oil like it's suppose to. Might even hoop up a oil pressure gauge just to make sure.

Set the timing today. The chain guide has a very specific bolt that acts as a pivot, & I couldn't find it in @reddvltj 's boxes of treasure for the life of me. Looked & looked. Went through my own scrounge, found one but it was for a different engine. Called the dealership, they said it'll be a week. For a bolt.

Lucky for me @reddvltj not only left me boxes of parts and bolts for this engine, he left me an entire second engine still in one piece (except for the wire harness he cut, don't ever let him do wiring for you). This engine has about 300k on it & has developed a vicious knock, so it's only here as a Chinese blueprint & scrounge.

1625343996083.jpeg

The pulleys & front cover needed to be removed to get to the chain tensioner & precious bolt, and that is typically no short job. But, when the thing is hanging from a chain & you don't really give a shit about it it takes about 20 mins.

New (used) bolt in hand, I installed it on the tensioner & set the timing. The cams are timed by lining up a notch on the sprocket with a teensy little arrow on the #1 bearing cap:

1625344388818.jpeg

1625344457613.jpeg

After you set the #1 piston to TDC you're ready to install the chain. Toyota's chains & belts are all pre-marked from the factory so it makes it harder to screw it up. The yellow links will each sit on the timing marks of the cam sprockets:
1625344624111.jpeg

And the pink link sits at the timing mark on the crank sprocket:
1625344657478.jpeg

Even with the chain marks I like to give the engine a spin by hand through a few cycles while keeping tension on the chain guide (because the tensioner isn't installed) and then arrive back to the timing marks to make sure the cams are still in time with the crank.

Tada:
1625344683858.jpeg

If you're sharp you'll notice that when I took that picture I accidentally installed the old chain guide, so I swapped it back out for the new one.

Happy 4th! Today I took some time to clean my guns & put together an engine as I reflected upon what it took for a scrappy group of folks who finally had enough of someone else's shit to stand up for themselves and boot one of history's largest empires the fuck off their property. I LOVE this holiday!

Looks like we're getting close to the finish line. With the top & bottom assembled we're basically just bolting on accessories & covers. With the timing set & the chain installed, it's time for the front cover. The last piece in that area is the tone wheel for the crank sensor. It gives the sensor a signal every time a notch passes by it. Note the flat spot at the 10:30 position - that spot signals #1 TDC for the sensor. The smaller notches are used to translate engine RPM for timing purposes:
1625437072696.jpeg

Cleaned up the front cover as I did the other sealing surfaces:
1625437129127.jpeg

Give it a nice bead of FIPG:
1625437141508.jpeg

And slap it on. One thing I wanted to point out is something that makes Toyotas so easy to work on. Here's a shot of the front cover hung in place & flush to the engine. All the bolts are installed by only a thread or two. Almost all of the bolts are different lengths, but the standoff distance once the threads meet the holes is the same across the whole engine & most of the chassis for that matter, meaning that the installed grip length of every bolt is identical.
1625437473313.jpeg

1625437487316.jpeg

It makes it VERY easy to sort out a pile of bolts & figure out what goes where. Additionally, everything on this engine (and the rest of the car) is 10, 12, 14, 17, or 19mm 6 point (with the exception of the head bolts). You can basically be a Toyota Master technician with a toolbox the size of an oven.

Next is the chain tensioner. It's hydraulic, & plumbed from the oil pump.
1625437567864.jpeg

To install it you press a small pawl, collapse the piston, & swing a little hook over a bar to keep it collapsed:
1625437630791.jpeg

Then you slide it through the cover. It won't mate all the way at first, you have to keep pressure on it & rotate the crank until the chain gets to it's sweet spot. Once that happens you catch the threads with two nuts, then keep rotating the engine until you hear a click of the hook releasing. Pretty nifty.
1625437749251.jpeg

Flip the engine over, install the oil pan. FIPG like everything else:
1625437797860.jpeg

Flip it back over hopefully for the last time, install a new crank seal. Smear a little grease on the seal, drive it in with a 36mm socket, pop on the crank pulley:
1625437942124.jpeg

1625437962201.jpeg

New valve cover gasket, install the valve cover, & we're done for the day. Check timing again, because you always double check timing. I probably rotate the engine & make sure the marks line up 25 times during a build, I'm always thinking some little gnomes are gonna screw with my engine.
1625437843154.jpeg

Time to go over to my buddy's house to drink beer, eat ribs, & let the kids ride ATVs. Fireworks will be on the menu later despite the fact that Utah likes to try & move the 4th a day early when it falls on a Sunday thanks to the LDS church. Luckily I live right outside a huge Air Force base and the local community isn't having it.

Enjoy your 4th & please take a moment to consider what it really took be able to let the American experiment play out. Also make sure you wake up tomorrow with the same number of fingers that you woke up with this morning.

Is this project dead? I see it's been a month since the last post.
More like work schedule conflicts. I got called out on fires a couple weeks ago right about the time that @qslim was finishing up on the engine so I haven't been able to get down to pick up the engine and with me not being home, it doesn't make any sense for him to bring it up here.

OKAY folks here is another update:

As @reddvltj posted at the beginning of the month we've just ran into some logistical issues. Once the fire season settles down some we'll get back at it.

As it stands now on helping Chris out there isn't a need anymore. He and his wife have worked things out. Without going into too much personal information she has been diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder and had her first real issue with it which caused this whole thing. She is now receiving the proper care needed and her and Chris are back together as a family and working through everything.
This is BIG qudoes to Chris for stepping up and doing what is RIGHT and taking care of his family.

So where does that leave us? ASAP we will get the car fixed and then sell it to recoup the cost of repairs and other expenditures. Once it is sold we will then give everyone who donated the chance to receive a refund. Then any monies left over will be donated to a worthy organization.

All of us involved have decided that will be the Gary Sinise Foundation . For anyone NOT familiar with him he does a lot for veterans and 1st responders.

I was on the receiving end of a donation from his organization where I was given a Action TrackChair.

Trackchair_zps8bc2164a.jpg

I ended up not needing the chair so I passed it onto another veteran who needed it more than I did.

I hope this answers questions many might be having at this time. Once the car is sold we'll let everyone know.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out during this trying time.

Last edited:
This is really a great update Wildman !
Great plan B with the car and cause.
@Chris I thank God for keeping your family together! Adversity is always difficult especially when kids are involved.
I am sure all of us on the Forum are glad you stayed the course and fought for your family.
My God continue to support and uphold your family. 👍

This is really a great update Wildman !
Great plan B with the car and cause.
@Chris I thank God for keeping your family together! Adversity is always difficult especially when kids are involved.
I am sure all of us on the Forum are glad you stayed the course and fought for your family.
My God continue to support and uphold your family. 👍
I’m very glad things are finally back to normal. The bipolar diagnosis with my wife is a good thing. I mean that in the sense that at least I know what I am dealing with now, there is medication for it, and if it ever happens again at least I know that she’s simply not herself.

The easy thing to do would be throw in the towel and quit. I’m not going to do that though and never would if it was left up to me.

I will say that this was a hell of a ride. I had no idea why in the hell she was so mad at me and what was even going on. It was like one day she was just fine and the next day she was someone entirely different.

I spent a lot of time praying and I am thankful for those that prayed for me as well. Everyone here is so great and I am so thankful for all of you.

I’m very glad things are finally back to normal. The bipolar diagnosis with my wife is a good thing. I mean that in the sense that at least I know what I am dealing with now, there is medication for it, and if it ever happens again at least I know that she’s simply not herself.

The easy thing to do would be throw in the towel and quit. I’m not going to do that though and never would if it was left up to me.

I will say that this was a hell of a ride. I had no idea why in the hell she was so mad at me and what was even going on. It was like one day she was just fine and the next day she was someone entirely different.

I spent a lot of time praying and I am thankful for those that prayed for me as well. Everyone here is so great and I am so thankful for all of you.

We are all just GLAD that things have worked out and that you have things sorted out and are working together. IMO you are an awesome guy for what you have done and pats on the back are not enough to express what I think of what you are doing. It can't be an easy road and I'm sure there will be other speed bumps ahead but you've got through this HUGE pot hole which says a lot.

My prayers are with you and your wife all the time. And as always the forum is here for you or anyone else in a time of need.

That's great news and a great way to resolve the donations. I for one would like to just donate my donation to the Gary Sinise Foundation no need to return. Thats answered prayers for @Chris and his family.
Agree, all great news here. Thanks for the update!

The power of prayer is amazing. Glad to hear that things are working themselves out and you guys are keeping your family together.

That's great news and a great way to resolve the donations. I for one would like to just donate my donation to the Gary Sinise Foundation no need to return. Thats answered prayers for @Chris and his family.

Those of us in the background who had helped to organize this whole thing just want to try to do what is "RIGHT"? It's been weighing on all our minds. Being responsible for others funds isn't a easy thing. We all take this very seriously.