Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Andy G's 06 Rubicon Revival

AndyG

TJ Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
@Jamison C , our Southwest Rubicon Activity Director, who established the 42RLE automatic advance team, encouraged me to do this so here it goes-

My 18-year-old son goes to work and parks next to a guy with this - My son lives under two assumptions- Dad has plenty of money and everything is for sale. He asked the guy how much and the owner said he hadn’t really considered selling it but somewhere around 10,000.

My son sends me a picture and tells me the mileage is around 131,000 and I tell him “son, that’s just not going to happen- Right now those things are really bringing good money.”

@Hog has a real cool way of shopping and he doesn’t get so much fixated on something as he just throws out the bait and see if they bite- With that in mind I ran down there to make sure it was a real Rubicon and had the transmission I wanted (auto) and wasn’t terribly molested- It had the bare minimum to get the fender flares higher off the ground and accommodate the 31.5-32 inch tires, So I left a note under the wiper and then if he was interested to give me a shout.

I didn’t hear anything at all that day so I thought he might be talking it over with his wife and I was told that was the case the next day and that following evening I got a text that he would take $10,600 for it. He got a text back that I would give $10,600 for it-and that I have cash and I was ready to come right now.

So it began-
FAB96572-9231-42F9-AE1A-785478C69E4D.png

Last edited:
OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
Congrats! That's a nice one and a great price!
Thanks sir-

It caught me by surprise and this thread will certainly reinforce the fact that the price you get it for is not always the price you pay- I knew at that mileage point it was likely ready for some cooling system work and front end parts so I’ll continue the thread as work allows and show you guys how its playing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Alex01
OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
The first thing to do was just give it a cursory clean up and kind of see what I had -At this point one thing I can tell is I’m going to have to do a lot of cleaning/ detailing- I knew the windows were in really rough shape- I had been saving a set from some of my projects in the past And at this point I’m just trying to figure out where to start , and start making a list of the typical things we would want to do and try to decide how much I wanted the shop to do versus myself-

It had some codes stored so that also gave me a little bit of an idea of what was under the surface but there was a little more to it than I thought-

Attachments

• 3F24B2C9-4F18-4258-9962-C38D9E9E6467.jpeg
    3F24B2C9-4F18-4258-9962-C38D9E9E6467.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: flyinfish

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
Thanks sir-

It caught me by surprise and this thread will certainly reinforce the fact that the price you get it for is not always the price you pay- I knew at that mileage point it was ready for some cooling system work and front end parts so I’ll continue the thread as work allows and show you guys how its playing out.
It's a great opportunity starting from basically stock. You didn't pay extra for add-on parts you don't like and would end up replacing.
Of course you'll need to refresh some front end parts and also the fixes that are associated with the 06 like the ODPA.
With 131k miles some fluid changes and some TLC are in order.

What are your plans, staying stockish, mild adds, or full on Chris? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and SvtLdr
OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
It's a great opportunity starting from basically stock. You didn't pay extra for add-on parts you don't like and would end up replacing.
Of course you'll need to refresh some front end parts and also the fixes that are associated with the 06 like the ODPA.
With 131k miles some fluid changes and some TLC are in order.

What are your plans, staying stockish, mild adds, or full on Chris? :LOL:
You are so correct I purchased one that was my first TJ and it was so modified and so messed up that I could not even enjoy it until I got it sorted out and of course I didn’t see what was coming when I purchased it because I didn’t have any experience with these things- Now when I decide to get one for a project with the idea that I’ll eventually sell it and do another one I am pretty careful when it has any modifications underneath.

Your entire assessment is right on the money - since I’ve never ran into one what does the failure of the oil pump drive assembly sound like

And yes the party was just getting started and I think you guys will find it interesting kind of what we learned as we went-

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
You are so correct I purchased one that was my first TJ and it was so modified and so messed up that I could not even enjoy it until I got it sorted out and of course I didn’t see what was coming when I purchased it because I didn’t have any experience with these things- Now when I decide to get one for a project with the idea that I’ll eventually sell it and do another one I am pretty careful when it has any modifications underneath.

Your entire assessment is right on the money - since I’ve never ran into one what does the failure of the oil pump drive assembly sound like

And yes the party was just getting started and I think you guys will find it interesting kind of what we learned as we went-
The ODPA supposedly sounds like screaming squirrels or something like it. It may have been replaced already.

Reactions: AndyG

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member

Nice score, those windows should polish out decent, mine were a mess and they came out pretty good with a DA polisher.

Reactions: AndyG
OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
Nice score, those windows should polish out decent, mine were a mess and they came out pretty good with a DA polisher.
Yes I’ve had some do that these are pretty stiff and the rear was damaged so having a pair sitting there I think will help me with that and maybe make the zippers work a little better after some lubrication

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
Thank you- So far so good but I will keep my ears open-
From what I've read, it needs to be changed out because of the lubrication to the ODPA itself causing it to fail. It's not a matter of if it's going to fail, it's a matter of when.
I know @Chris can elaborate.

OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
From what I've read, it needs to be changed out because of the lubrication to the ODPA itself causing it to fail. It's not a matter of if it's going to fail, it's a matter of when.
I know @Chris can elaborate.
OK I’m tracking with you I’ll take a close look at it and what is the go to replacement part- brand , etc- Thanks for the heads up-

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
I love versions like this, where you get to start basically from zero. They are a nice canvas to build on. It's also at the mileage point where it's not to much, but needs some attention. You know the drill...cooling system, steering, suspension, gaskets, fluid changes, brakes, etc. And, lets not forget the clean up, both top and bottom. That said, you'll have fun with this one. A nice find for sure! (y)

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
Forgot to mention, another nice feature of this one is the '06 only Moab wheels, which look to still be there!

OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
Forgot to mention, another nice feature of this one is the '06 only Moab wheels, which look to still be there!
They are as perfect as any I’ve seen which tells me the vehicle did not get wheeled much and of course the undercarriage confirms that-

This one even has the premium or whatever you call it sound system and the satellite receiver up on the rollbar and the stereo really does sound good- The front speakers are in little pods that just a bolt ride in-

Like you said it’s at about the point where it’s not perfect and not too bad either- The funny thing about this one is sort of the rabbit hole deal where are you close one loop and another one opens and I’ll talk about that a little bit more soon.

SvtLdr

Search Engine Certified Mechanic
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This will be a fun build. Can't wait to see what you create.:)

Reactions: Irun
OP
AndyG

AndyG

TJ Guru
This will be a fun build. Can't wait to see what you create.:)
I don’t know that it’s going to be anything groundbreaking as much as I’m just trying to make it look good and get all the bugs out of it and keep myself busy after work some evenings so I don’t have to think about the construction business night and day- I’ll try to keep this going and at least give you guys enough to make you feel better about living far away from me 🤣🤣