AndyG goes to Charleston, SC

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina for our anniversary. Arrived a little after midnight.

Word is the food is incredible here.

Still topless weather here. No fall nip in the air . Shame we drove the truck.

Going to see a plantation next, as a builder I love old architecture. Not a fan of what happened during that period of history, but love the beauty of the old south.

I think about how quiet those places probably were most of the time back then ...no radios, cars going by. Creak of wagon wheels,the breeze.

27 years today. We've had a fun marriage. I think our first year, when she walked in the kitchen of the tiny house we lived in, and I had a rifle pointed out the window about to shoot a fish in the pond ...she knew it was going to be a project.

If anyone knows an things we have to see here, let me know

Thanks
AndyG

Charleston is nice. There is a 30 minute or so tour at the Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon that’s pretty interesting.

Tour of Fort Sumter is neat.

The USS Yorktown (and other ships) at Patriot Point is pretty cool.

The market is nice too, but no fun in the hot ass summer months. LOL

Morris Island Lighthouse is cool. Have to have a boat tour to get to in now though. I think Folly island that has an area where you can park then walk a little ways up to a beach and boneyard area and see it out in the harbor.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
Charleston is nice. There is a 30 minute or so tour at the Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon that’s pretty interesting.

Tour of Fort Sumter is neat.

The USS Yorktown (and other ships) at Patriot Point is pretty cool.

The market is nice too, but no fun in the hot ass summer months. LOL

Morris Island Lighthouse is cool. Have to have a boat tour to get to in now though. I think Folly island that has an area where you can park then walk a little ways up to a beach and boneyard area and see it out in the harbor.

Have fun.
Thanks man .

Reactions: MountaineerTom
There is a nice little restaurant on highway 17 headed south. It’s called angel oak restaurant. It’s kind of expensive, but really good food. We’ve ate there a few times. We’ve actually drove about an hour and a half 1 way just to eat there and go back home. LOL. My wife loves the place.

Speaking of that, The Angel Oak is near there too. HUGE live oak tree that has been in many movies. It’s beautiful and amazing to see in person, if you like nature kind of things.

There is a nice little restaurant on highway 17 headed south. It’s called angel oak restaurant. It’s kind of expensive, but really good food. We’ve ate there a few times. We’ve actually drove about an hour and a half 1 way just to eat there and go back home. LOL. My wife loves the place.

Speaking of that, The Angel Oak is near there too. HUGE live oak tree that has been in many movies. It’s beautiful and amazing to see in person, if you like nature kind of things.
yes I really do I'm walking through the plantation entrance that was actually used in the movie Gone with the wind..and North and South. If we had a 48" Stihl and a couple of Tjs with winches we could widen this right up in a day or two.

I can’t wait to visit the south. For the history and food alone. Post pics man!!
Nobody goes up north to retire.

My droid won't load them...it really is fantastic... Charleston has some magnificent architecture... Trees that are 300 -500 years old.

• Wow
Reactions: Rick Flair
I'll be in Hilton Head for Christmas this year. Never been to that part of the south before. Seems nice! Should be a nice break from the Chicago cold that is starting to move in this week.

Mt. Pleasant, over the Bridges out of Charleston on HWY17. Head to Shem Creek for the best seafood in the area. Follow 17 all the way out to Sullivans Island where it ends, and their is a great old school Irish Pub i like called DunLevys. If you like old forts take a right and go check out Ft Moultrie at the end of Sullivans Island.

Downtown Aaron's Deli is a traditional Jewish deli with a killer Rueben sammich.

If you can get a boat ride seeing Charleston from the harbor is amazing. Used to be a 3 masted Schooner called the Schooner Pride that would do Harbor Tours, not sure if its running due to Covid or not.

For a more small beach town experience find some directions out to Folly Beach.

Grew up in the Charleston area, love to go back and visit.

This town really is a jewel of the South. Amazing buildings, old old brick streets in a few places, old wood floors , palm trees, huge houses, tidal creeks all around the perimeter , walkways, alligators, plantations , great seafood, beaches ....safe , and has a charm like you won’t believe . It was over 85 degrees here today.

In Savannah now. Most excited I’ve ever been to see a city.

In Savannah now. Most excited I’ve ever been to see a city.

The Pirate House has really good food. And a bar. They have a drink called The Skull Crusher that my wife had one time. She slept the whole 3 hour ride home. LOL

I'll be in Hilton Head for Christmas this year. Never been to that part of the south before. Seems nice! Should be a nice break from the Chicago cold that is starting to move in this week.
Hilton Head is awesome! My wife's family vacations there every year. Last year we took the TJ down and I borrowed a soft top for the week. It was the BEST cruising ever! The beaches are clean and not busy at all, and the food is great.

When you are there you have to go to a place called Hudson's. They catch/ harvest their own fish and oysters and have the absolutely freshest food on the island. You can't beat it.

Cheesy is landing in Charleston this afternoon but only staying long enough to pick up the rental. From there, drive to Hell...Er...Corporate HQ in Beaufort, SC for three long, excruciatingly boring days. I’d like Beaufort a lot more if HQ wasn’t there. Nice area to bicycle in. Riding 21 to Hunting Island was pretty easy for a Flatlander from Illannoy.

Will be counting the hours until I can get back to the land of ice and snow.

Cheesy is landing in Charleston this afternoon but only staying long enough to pick up the rental. From there, drive to Hell...Er...Corporate HQ in Beaufort, SC for three long, excruciatingly boring days. I’d like Beaufort a lot more if HQ wasn’t there. Nice area to bicycle in. Riding 21 to Hunting Island was pretty easy for a Flatlander from Illannoy.

If you can ever see some of Charleston make sure you get to ... It really is nice.

Oh man, my wife and I love going to Beaufort. Hunting Island is our go to get away beach. We like that it's not commercialized and more on the wild side.