Andy's TJ

Andy Maurer

TJ Enthusiast
About a year ago my brother in law took me out in his TJ to the local offroad park. I was never into jeeps, but did like rally racing in my Subaru WRX and working on cars. In less than an hour at the off road park I knew I would be buying my own jeep... I was hooked. So, about a month later I found what I thought to be a good deal online and later that day purchased my 1998 TJ with a manual transmission & 4.0 engine (my only two requriements when looking for a used jeep... if only I knew then what I know now!!!) Here she after I brought her home on day 1:

1998 TJ with 4.0, 5 speed, 3.07 gears (yuck!), newer tires and a couple other updates. It was the middle of summer and I had a blast crusing around with the top off & windows removed. My daughter fell in love with it too. She constantally asked "Jeep Ride?"

The jeep had a couple issues I wanted to deal with, rust on the front fenders & a dent in the rear passenger fender. I could have gotten them fixed... but I liked the way flat fenders looked & because my state does not require fenders I went with body armor to cover the damage to the rear.

After going to the offroad park a couple times I realized that turning 32 inch wheels with 3.07 gears up a steep hill was no fun. The hunt for new gears was on! I got lucky and a month or two later found someone on craiglist selling a TJ dana 44 rear & 35 front with spartan locker and 3.73 gears for $600. I called immediately and sent full payment that day. I was the proud owner of new axles, not quite the gearing I would have choosen, but for the price I could not beat it. I got to upgrade gears and axles for less than what I was planning on spending for the gearing alone. So time for another install...

The axle install went pretty smoothly and I was happy with the results... but after a few more trips to the offroad park I realized I could not get past some of the obstacles my friends were without scraping or punching a hole in the oil pan (I did both). So now it was time to install a new oil pan and put a lift on it. While I was working on the oil pan I upgraded the front end as well, I never liked the way the previous owner installed the "upgraded" grill so I installed it the right way.

I purchased the Zone 4.25 combo lift last week (3 inch suspension, 1.25 inch body, MM lift). I have the suspension lift installed and hope to get the MM & body lift installed this weekend. Once done I will update with additional pics. Once the lift is done next will be new front/rear bumpers, winch & rear locker. That should be about all I need to do to it (HA HA HA....)

Last edited:
Ahhh, that grille never looked better! Right where it belongs too ;)

I'm going to save that photo and use it as a reminder to everyone where those grilles belong, haha.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
When I first got my Jeep I always thought those "angry" eyes looking grilles were horrible and why would anybody with a nice Jeep would do that to it? Now I've joined two Jeep forums and understand.

Got the lift installed and am very happy with the results. New tires are on the list, but the current 32s have alot of life left in them & I don't see any reason to drop a bunch of money on going up to 33s just yet. 35s may be on the list someday, but that will require a bunch more work (and money). For now I am enjoying the warm weather and not having to work on the jeep!

Well one thing is for sure. With those tires being the size they are now, you've definitely got a lot more room for up-travel (not a bad thing)!

Reactions: John Cooper