Angle finder for setting pinion angle

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Can anyone recommend a good angle finder for setting pinion angle?

I have always used an analog one from harbor freight and had good luck with it. But the jeep seems much more picky after the Savvy tummy tuck so would like something more precise if there is a quality one of there that people have experience with.

The little digital box ones are nice because you can zero the reading on a reference surface like the transfer case output or on one side of a u-joint.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
All I have is the old analog gauge myself. So does it really have to be exact? So if I'm off .5 of a degree, am I actually going to notice a difference? I only ask because I have to install a new rear in my TJ. I was kinda thinking that since it's always flexing and moving anyway, that being off a little would have no real affect.

All I have is the old analog gauge myself. So does it really have to be exact? So if I'm off .5 of a degree, am I actually going to notice a difference? I only ask because I have to install a new rear in my TJ. I was kinda thinking that since it's always flexing and moving anyway, that being off a little would have no real affect.

That's how people set their pinions a hundred years ago. It still works today.

I have done it tons of times with a Analog gauge and it’s always been fine. It seems to me like the lifting the transfer case has made everything more picky. So just trying to get everything as dialed in as possible.

Got a "aresoul" digital and like it a lot from Amazon.$22 and it gives angle to the 1/10 degree. Eg. 32.7*. Can zero to any axis to make up for unlevel floor.

Reactions: Midnight LJR