Annual oil change?

Use it?

• Total voters

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
The fallacy of that is pretty simple... the oil itself may last that long but it still collects dirt, and especially it continues collecting naturally occurring acids, combustion byproducts, etc. at the same rate as any other oil does that no conventional oil filter can filter out. The water in mud may be still be good water but do you want that mud in your system? The only way to get rid of all that bad stuff that collects in even the world's best quality engine oil is to change it and the filter and the normal reasonable intervals.

Last edited:
One year, sure no problem. 20k miles seems a bit long. I completely lost track of my last oil change in my Silverado and just changed it last week. Previous change was Oct of 2016. Only about 5k miles on it and the oil looked fine; Castrol Syntec.

Amsoil has an oil that claims to be a once a yr change too. i had a buddy that swore by it but i just couldnt get on board with it.

I’ve used Amsoil in JKs and in my Harleys. I felt fine doing the annual oil change in them and the oil did great. However, I won’t do it in my TJ simply due to the fact they seem to leak more and so I feel more comfortable checking the oil and changing the oil every 5,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer changing the oil often as an insurance policy. A great reason to change your oil more often is it gives you a great opportunity to check over everything that should be periodically visually inspected like brakes, hoses, joints, and everything else that should be checked.

IMO It just creates an opportunity to not check those things often. People tend to procrastinate and annual oil changes might turn into the only time people crawl under there and check things. Although I will say oil can last this long especially the full synthetics. Some automotive engineers are moving that direction with the technologies and advancement in petroleum products.