Another 15x8 vs 15x10 post

Charley brewster

Okay guys I know there are thousands of 15x8 vs 15x10 post. But I can't get the answer I really want (last sentence) And I understand that a x8 will hold a bead better than a x10 on a 12.50 or less wide tire. How many of you guys do air to 10-13 psi on x10 and if not that low what do you get down to with out problems?
I would just like the practicality of the 15x8 but I want the look and stance of a 15x10 any advice?

To me, the width of the tire makes the look. Then, whatever wheel width works best for off-roading (assuming the Jeep is for off road), that's the one to run. Take the off road factor away, anything goes.

What size tires?
Off-road or street use?
Good place to start (link below) I was able to find lots on PSI on 15x8 vs 15x10 from searching, and was torn between the two myself. There are guys do that air down below 15 on a 15x10, but you can air down to like 5psi on a 15x8 if I'm not mistaken. And much of the looks would more than likely come more from the backspacing you pick not as much the width of the wheel. From what I've seen on some friends jeeps I can't tell the difference between the 8 inch wheel vs 10 inch wheel when it's on the tire they look the about the same.

Jerry quite clearly recommends 15x10 only for street use on 12.5s and 15x8 for off-road and street. I will not be buying 15x10s.

Edit: Had this written out hours ago at work forgot to post it.

http://*****************/forum/f15/15x8-vs-15x10-wheels-542114/#/topics/542114?page=2

Last edited:
Okay guys I know there are thousands of 15x8 vs 15x10 post. But I can't get the answer I really want (last sentence) And I understand that a x8 will hold a bead better than a x10 on a 12.50 or less wide tire. How many of you guys do air to 10-13 psi on x10 and if not that low what do you get down to with out problems?
I would just like the practicality of the 15x8 but I want the look and stance of a 15x10 any advice?

If you like the look then get the 10's and make sure you have a good spare and on board air. Worst case scenario is you pop a bead off road and need to swap in the spare or fix on the spot. 10's are not evil but they do have a higher risk than a 8. You will most likely never run into a problem though.

There are a few 12.5 tires that call for a rim width of 8"-11" so a 10" wheel is within the recommendation.

That being said, I prefer a 6" wide wheel. It gives a fatter sidewall for better wheel protection and less prone to losing a bead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damageinc
I run a 10.5" tire on 8" rim and got rock rash right away. So I'm thinking the same would hold true for a 12.5" tire on a 10" rim. If you are concerned about the look, you might consider how easily you can mess your rims up with these proportions. Next up for me is 12.5" tires on an 8" rim w short valve stems

Reactions: billiebob
I'll be running a 33x12.50r15. Been kinda looking at the cooper stt pros (and opinions on those would be greatly appreciated). This will be mostly street use some off road sometimes but nothing hard core. More than likely won't even air down that often. It's just some people make it out to be if you air down with 12.5 on a x10 you will pop a bead. I'd like to have a x8 with the offset of a x10 like -43 or somthing similar.

To me, the width of the tire makes the look. Then, whatever wheel width works best for off-roading (assuming the Jeep is for off road), that's the one to run. Take the off road factor away, anything goes.

I totally agree. I think the tire width is what looks good, not the wheel width.

Charley, I know I am probably one of the odd ones out here, but years ago I built a 89 YJ and ran 33x12.5x15s on 10 inch rims for years and wheeled the piss out of it. I was living up in the northwest so it was mostly trails and mud. I rarely did any rock crawling, so I never aired down like the other guys. I never aired down below 18, but that said I had that Jeep for many many years and never had 1 flat or bead issue. I have even scraped mud out of the bead with a screwdriver, and it never pushed the tire off of the bead.

Now I have a 98TJ and it happened to come with 31x10.5x15s on 10 steelies and I really like the look of it. I just got it this summer, so I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, but so far I haven't had any issues, and since the tires are wore down about 70 percent, I imagine the guy that had it before me put that many miles on them. The spare is not new though haha. but that said it doesn't match either.

I am a few months away from buying some new tires, and I plan on buying the same 31s and keeping my same wheels. I mostly drive on the street, but occasionally I will head offroad to the special fishing hole. (I mostlly beat on quads now).

We ran 33x12.50's on CJ's with 10" rims all the time. Ran the same size tire on 16.5x10" rims on our eight lug trucks all the time. Seemed to work just fine, at the time anyway.