An LJ overlander on 31’s built for solo travel

@mrblaine, do you know what degree center countersink bit I need for the Savvy tailgate armor?

Is this also why there are no holes in the corner armor for stock flares? It says they "compatible" with stock flares, which meant I had to use and old flare as a template, then mark and drill the holes.
Precisely why. Rather than offer both, they deleted the flare holes. I do not use a flare, I install the armor, reach through the holes from the back side with a scratch awl and mark them that way.

Reactions: JMT and Irun
Did ya miss the BTDT? :)
But that looks awesome.
All the good wheeling is 2 days away or more. I’m just going for a capable camper.

I started with silver '04 LJ like yours and went for a capable camper. I haven't gone as far as what you plan to ... yet.

16-07-06 - 1.JPG
DSC_0196.JPG

It will be a bit of a challenge for me to get the holes in exactly the right place.I'll come up with a solution, drill from the backside, countersink the front side and be done. Quite a bit of precision is required here for a garage mechanic, handyman.
When we make custom belly skids, we have to mark the holes in the frame perfectly. We use a set of transfer points I made. In your case, find some cheap screws that fit the holes you want to mark. Cut a section off of the threaded end that is about 3/4" long. Carefully chuck that up in a hand drill or drill press so you can spin it. While it is spinning, hold the end against a grinder at a 45 degree angle until you make a point on the end.

Screw that into the hole you want to transfer until it sticks out about 1/8". Mount the armor using the lower screws to align it, gently tap the armor over where the screw point is sticking out and that will leave a point in the armor exactly where the hole needs to be. Remove the armor, center punch the point, drill.

We do the frame nutserts like that. The older frames have a 1/2" bolt, we drill a 1/2" hole and then bolt that side up snug with the bolts and they hit dead center so that we can get all 3 in every time. We do one side at a time.

Reactions: JMT and derekmac
That does indeed solve the mystery (well, a mystery to me at least). I had always wondered where the holes were for the snubbers. Like you said, this could have easily been fixed with a finish fastener kit.

This sounds familiar to so many work situations I've been in that finally culminated in me realizing that the customer is not always right, and the customer is also not a designer.
Notice anything?

1611670973285.png

Reactions: Ephry73
If the butt cracks you see are horizontal, you may want to reconsider your choice in partners.

I see a GenRight rear bumper that looks like it's dragging in the rocks due to the departure angle of the LWB.

I can't tell if the rear section of the frame has been raised due to the low quality of the picture though.

Reactions: pc1p
Did ya miss the BTDT? :)
But that looks awesome.
All the good wheeling is 2 days away or more. I’m just going for a capable camper.
I started at the same point and color, stock LJR. With midwest wheeling and drivability in mind, tuck, 3" lift, stop at 33" tires.
Happy with the result.
Back to tailgate talk.....

I see a GenRight rear bumper that looks like it's dragging in the rocks due to the departure angle of the LWB.

I can't tell if the rear section of the frame has been raised due to the low quality of the picture though.
SWAG bumper we welded up and put a receiver in that is almost flush.

1611671840758.jpg

Reactions: jjvw