Another bumper install (KD Fabworks)

skrelnik

TJ Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member
After a long hunt down the Wrangler TJs never ending rabbit hole of mods and information, for my new bumpers I went with a smaller lesser-known brand than what is typically used on our TJs.

Kurt at KD Fabworks was great to work with and boy did he deliver a mighty fine product, or products, as I installed his front bumper with fairlead bracket and license plate mount up front, and in the rear I installed his rear bumper with crossmember support brackets.

Front bumper

The welds on the bumper look amazing to me, and you guys with more welding experience can add your two cents.

This is a beefy bumper that was very easy to install, came with all the appropriate grade 8 hardware, well packaged and organized. Powdercoat job was real nice.

Made in the USA
20190504_154638.jpg

Well packaged

20190504_154801.jpg

Looks great20190504_160238.jpg

20190504_160248.jpg

Welds!!!

20190504_160318.jpg

20190504_160407.jpg

Top of the winch plate, bolts lined up perfectly.

20190504_160753.jpg

Fairlead bracket

20190504_163608.jpg

Fairlead mount on winch plate. Holes all lined up perfectly.

20190504_163704.jpg

License plate mount

20190504_163630.jpg

REAR BUMPER

Quality as good as the front bumper. Made in the USA...USA USA USA

20190504_165248.jpg

Directions were needed with the rear bumper install as it ties into the body mounts, and Kurt placed up to six more support holes that can be used for additional strength. I used two of the six of the holes, and also purchased the crossmember support brackets.

Directions - hardware is also listed.

20190512_145356.jpg20190512_145423.jpg

Crossmember support bracket
20190511_123854.jpg

New holes in crossmember for additional strength and support, right by the recovery point.

20190511_184113.jpg

Links to the bumpers. Any questions, or if someone would like additional pics just let me know. Highly recommend these bumpers, and while the cost may scare someone away, I encourage you to compare apples to apples, free shipping or not, fairlead bracket included or not etc. Kurt regularly runs 10% off, and even 15% off, so lookout for those times to save a bunch.

http://www.kdfabworks.com/97-06-TJ-Front-Mid-Width-49-Bumper-with-Trail-Bar-_p_63.html
http://www.kdfabworks.com/TJ-Rear-Bumper-no-tire-carrier_p_276.html

After a long hunt down the Wrangler TJs never ending rabbit hole of mods and information, for my new bumpers I went with a smaller lesser-known brand than what is typically used on our TJs.

Kurt at KD Fabworks was great to work with and boy did he deliver a mighty fine product, or products, as I installed his front bumper with fairlead bracket and license plate mount up front, and in the rear I installed his rear bumper with crossmember support brackets.

Front bumper

The welds on the bumper look amazing to me, and you guys with more welding experience can add your two cents.

This is a beefy bumper that was very easy to install, came with all the appropriate grade 8 hardware, well packaged and organized. Powdercoat job was real nice.

Made in the USA
View attachment 93647

Well packaged

View attachment 93648

Looks greatView attachment 93649

View attachment 93650

Welds!!!

View attachment 93651

View attachment 93652

Top of the winch plate, bolts lined up perfectly.

View attachment 93653

Fairlead bracket

View attachment 93654

Fairlead mount on winch plate. Holes all lined up perfectly.

View attachment 93655

License plate mount

View attachment 93656

REAR BUMPER

Quality as good as the front bumper. Made in the USA...USA USA USA

View attachment 93660

Directions were needed with the rear bumper install as it ties into the body mounts, and Kurt placed up to six more support holes that can be used for additional strength. I used two of the six of the holes, and also purchased the crossmember support brackets.

Directions - hardware is also listed.

View attachment 93662View attachment 93663

Crossmember support bracket
View attachment 93664

New holes in crossmember for additional strength and support, right by the recovery point.

View attachment 93665

Links to the bumpers. Any questions, or if someone would like additional pics just let me know. Highly recommend these bumpers, and while the cost may scare someone away, I encourage you to compare apples to apples, free shipping or not, fairlead bracket included or not etc. Kurt regularly runs 10% off, and even 15% off, so lookout for those times to save a bunch.

http://www.kdfabworks.com/97-06-TJ-Front-Mid-Width-49-Bumper-with-Trail-Bar-_p_63.html
http://www.kdfabworks.com/TJ-Rear-Bumper-no-tire-carrier_p_276.html
Great looking front bumper, IMO, despite the fact that it pretty much costs the same as the F/R Dirtworx bumpers combined that I purchased. Just has a clean, sturdy look.

Reactions: skrelnik
Great looking front bumper, IMO, despite the fact that it pretty much costs the same as the F/R Dirtworx bumpers combined that I purchased. Just has a clean, sturdy look.

Thanks...Kurt does a great job. While Robert at Dirtworx will send you a raw bumper, KD supplies other stuff included, like free shipping on the front bumper, winch plate included, plus Kurt has 10% and 15% off sales around holidays. He also powdercoats the bumpers for a great price saving you money if you were to go local.

Unfortunately on the surface it is not an apples to apples comp and a deeper dive must be taken.

Dirtworx was my 2nd choice and ended up with KD due to picky looks, like the front bumper bar.

Last edited:
Do you have any shots of the KDF hawse fairlead license plate bracket mounted?

Do you think it would work upside down so the license plate is above the hawse fairlead rather than below?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering replacing my roller fairlead and steel cable with a hawse fairlead and synthetic rope and would like my front license plate in the same position as shown in my avatar photo rather than use a license plate mount that puts the plate in front of the fairlead or use a flip up mount.

Do you have any shots of the KDF hawse fairlead license plate bracket mounted?

Do you think it would work upside down so the license plate is above the hawse fairlead rather than below?

The reason I am asking is that I am considering replacing my roller fairlead and steel cable with a hawse fairlead and synthetic rope and would like my front license plate in the same position as shown in my avatar photo rather than use a license plate mount that puts the plate in front of the fairlead or use a flip up mount.

I do not have any pics at the moment but I would be more than willing to flip the license plate bracket upside down and take a picture for you when I get home from work tonight. It may look funny but I can play around and see if it works.

Thanks...Kurt does a great job. While Robert at Dirtworx will send you a raw bumper, KD supplies other stuff included, like free shipping on the front bumper, winch plate included, plus Kurt has 10% and 15% off sales around holidays. He also powdercoats the bumpers for a great price saving you money if you were to go local.

Unfortunately on the surface it is not an apples to apples comp and a deeper dive must be taken.

Dirtworx was my 2nd choice and ended up with KD due to picky looks, like the front bumper bar.
I have no argument with your points. I actually prefer the look of the KD bumper, no question. If ordering just the front bumper, I'd also think the free shipping would be a point to consider. However, since shipping the front and rear from Dirtworx cost the same as just the front, in essence that shipping was free also. But again, not apples to apples, and whatever works for you is great.

Reactions: skrelnik
I have no argument with your points. I actually prefer the look of the KD bumper, no question. If ordering just the front bumper, I'd also think the free shipping would be a point to consider. However, since shipping the front and rear from Dirtworx cost the same as just the front, in essence that shipping was free also. But again, not apples to apples, and whatever works for you is great.

They both make great bumpers and no arguments there but maybe we should due a price analyzation for future buyers, if are up for it. Basically go into things like if the buyer prefers a DIY rattle can paint job or powdercoated etc.

Cool. Much appreciated.

Anything for Mr. Bills...did you ever disclose if your forum name means anything, like a fan of the Buffalo Bills or have a passion for ducks?

Excuse the naked bumper as I am still saving up for a winch. It looks close to your current setup but the height of the bullbar would make a difference. If you need a measurement let me know.

IMG_20190607_073019__01.jpg

Reactions: zebra12
Thanks for the photo. The now-upright license plate holder shows the offset toward the rear - the opposite of how I would orient it, but it should work for my purposes.

The following measurements would be helpful:

From center of hawse fairlead bolt hole to center of license plate bolt hole (looks to be 2-3" or so)
From center of hawse fairlead bolt hole to top of license plate
Offset between the plane of fairlead attachment point and plane of the license plate attachment point (looks to be 1" or so)

These measurements will allow me to mock up the location of where my plate would be with the KDF bracket flipped upright.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. The now-upright license plate holder shows the offset toward the rear - the opposite of how I would orient it, but it should work for my purposes.

From center of hawse fairlead bolt hole to center of license plate bolt hole (looks to be 2-3" or so)
Offset between the plane of fairlead attachment point and plane of the license plate attachment point (looks to be 1" or so)

These measurements will allow me to mock up the location of where my plate would be with the KDF bracket flipped upright.

As for the meaning of my screen name - look up my call sign and all will be revealed. ;)

Sounds good - I'll be able to get you these measurements later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Hey Mr. Bills - sorry for the delay, had a weekend trip that I forgot about.

From center of hawse fairlead bolt hole to center of license plate bolt hole (looks to be 2-3" or so) - Great call, 2.3 inches.

From center of hawse fairlead bolt hole to top of license plate - about 8 inches

Offset between the plane of fairlead attachment point and plane of the license plate attachment point (looks to be 1" or so) - Was running late for work and forgot this one. Will do tonight

IMG_20190608_090648.jpg

I have to recommend against KD Fabworks. On both quality and customer service. I ordered front and rear bumpers for my jeep with the tire carrier and some accessories. First of all, they took 5 months to build and ship them. While this is understandable as it was during COVID, when I would email them asking what’s going on, I simply wouldn’t get a response. When I did get my bumper, the zerk fittings were completely covered with coating. Kurt's response? Not my fault, scrape it off. When the pressed-in studs on the tire carrier broke free? That shouldn’t happen so it must be your fault.

After weeks of emailing him, he did send me a new tire carrier bracket with studs. Well, that was another 5 months of waiting and I had moved so the package was sent to my old address and was lost in the mail. Now, he flat out won't respond to me and I have a tire carrier with a broken stud.

I admit, the bumper looks good but there are flaws, and good luck getting customer service months later when you might actually receive what you paid for.

I have to recommend against KD Fabworks. On both quality and customer service. I ordered front and rear bumpers for my jeep with the tire carrier and some accessories. First of all, they took 5 months to build and ship them. While this is understandable as it was during COVID, when I would email them asking what’s going on, I simply wouldn’t get a response. When I did get my bumper, the zerk fittings were completely covered with coating. Kurt's response? Not my fault, scrape it off. When the pressed-in studs on the tire carrier broke free? That shouldn’t happen so it must be your fault.

After weeks of emailing him, he did send me a new tire carrier bracket with studs. Well, that was another 5 months of waiting and I had moved so the package was sent to my old address and was lost in the mail. Now, he flat out won't respond to me and I have a tire carrier with a broken stud.

I admit, the bumper looks good but there are flaws, and good luck getting customer service months later when you might actually receive what you paid for.

I am two and a half years into my bumpers and they are phenomenal! No issues, towed with the rear bumper many times, color looks great, no issues with powdercoating or anything that you experienced. Sorry to hear your experience sucked, but you could have also went over to his shop considering it is about 30 minutes from Portland.

I know people who ordered cars more than 5 months ago, and have yet to receive them. You need to lower your expectations on all things handmade these days. If you read their site they even had a notice up there:

March 27, 2021

To Our Valued Customers,

What a year 2020 has been, and what 2021 has started out to be. Business is crazy to say the least! With Spring rolling in and Summer just ahead, like all of you we are looking forward to longer days, better weather, and getting out to enjoy our Jeeps and Trucks. With stimulus checks arriving and Tax returns coming in, business is going nuts. We appreciate each and every customer we have; past, present, and future.

Despite the COVID-19 Pandemic, sales have been increasing each month. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has also put an enormous strain on the global supply chain. Shipping from our vendors has been drastically slower, taking longer to receive hardware, shipping/packaging materials, and kit components like plugs and wiring.

We have been working to keep inventory levels up, but with the increase in sales, and slower delivery times and backorders on certain components we don’t manufacture, several of our products have shown on backorder for a while. This doesn’t mean the brackets and kits have been out of stock all this time. We are constantly shipping product out the door as we get the components to make the kits complete and fill backorders. We have increased product runs to try to make up for this, but with supply chain delays, sometimes all of that run goes to filling backorders, and not put on the shelf for stock.

Over the past year, we have also seen a steady increase in material cost. Steel continues to rise more and more each day. We have tried to keep our prices the same throughout the Pandemic, absorbing the material costs by cutting into the labor expenses. Unfortunately, we are getting to a point where we are forced to have a price increase that will start rolling out April 15, 2021, over the course of a few days. Depending on the product and what types of materials we use, these increases should be on average around 10-15%.

We are asking for you to please be patient. It is taking longer for us to reply to Emails and phone calls as we are working hard to get orders out the door. We are a small, family owned business committed to making high quality parts for your Jeep, Truck, and SUV. We are always working on new products, and are excited about the things we have planned for 2021. We take pride in the fact that our products are Made in the USA, and we know that the end product shows our dedication to quality.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding during these unprecedented times. We appreciate each and every one of you and look forward to helping you create the vehicle you’ve always wanted!

Lets get out and explore in 2021!

Kurt Davis

KD Fabworks

To the owners of these bumpers: does the rear bumper wrap around the corner of the tub in the rear? I had no idea these where made where I live. God damn LoD..

(and if you could be so kind as to post a picture of said coverage)

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12