Another colonoscopy to not look forward to today

That sounds like an off brand toothpaste lolol

Apparently it's this thing I see on TV a lot where you take a stool sample, send it in, and then they test it for colon cancer. I read about it and apparently it's very accurate. The catch is that people who have a history of colon cancer in their family may not be the best candidates they say.

Apparently it's this thing I see on TV a lot where you take a stool sample, send it in, and then they test it for colon cancer. I read about it and apparently it's very accurate. The catch is that people who have a history of colon cancer in their family may not be the best candidates they say.

I'm just picturing shoving this turd in this tiny tube and handing it to your mailman

Yep, my five years is up also. should have scheduled it 3 months ago, still haven't. Just can't bring myself to pick up the phone. What are the chances of my Doc and my Wife (RN) just forgetting about it?
In my experience, no FreakingWay!

I’m married to an RN myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hook_62
I get to go thru this procedure in 18 years.

I'll take the pill and other drugs, please.

I went through that last year, not fun. nothing like waking up as they were finishing! I don't remember how long the procedure was, but the entire operation was a wasted day

Done! They didn't knock me out completely but far enough for me to feel no pain but be able to see the pics live. In other words this one I'll remember Everyone was great, love my VA care level.

Everything went fine, the doc removed two small polyps but that's it.

Now to eat!!!

I had the Colorgard test first. You poop in a bucket. Send it off FED EX. My doctor ordered it. The package came in the mail. I waited a month before opening it. After a month, Colorgard sent me a message promising a $50 gift card if I would send a sample. My sample came back positive, and I then had a colonoscopy.

I feel your pain. Just had the procedure the end of February.

My wife says I’m no longer allowed to speak to the doctor after the procedure.
I don’t remember saying this, but apparently I asked. “Do you still have your watch?”
Cracked up the room, so I’m told.
Another good one is when the MD walks into the room grabs his thermometer and says...”some asshole has my pen I’ll be right back” haha

Glad to hear you got a good report!!! I had my first one last year and have to say the anticipation was far worse than the event. The bill was the worst part for me. Since my procedure was diagnostic and not preventative I had the pleasure of paying for it. I took it up the rear twice that day. The Dr. was far more gentle than the insurance company. 😁

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I don’t know what the anesthesiologist used on me but I was out cold immediately and then magically awake when they were done. I sure hope they told the truth that the endoscope was first and then they spun the table...

On a serious note, get this done. Because of weight loss the doc pushed for ultrasounds of my pancreas, liver and gall bladder which produced a shadow they couldn’t identify near my right kidney. It was a malignant baseball sized tumor that was softball sized when they took it and my right kidney. A simple CT scan extended my life, the only symptom was weight loss and a bad attitude.

Last edited:
Don't put it off. I have a friend, only 54, that tested positive. But unlike Andy, he's not cured yet. Surgery and radiation. His last radiation was two weeks ago. Praying for a positive outcome.

I guess this is where the old guys hang out.
Had mine a few years ago and wife still talks about it.
Doc told me in recovery room that he's sending me for a sleep study, he had to slap me because I was holding my breath....sleep apnea.

I told him " let me shove a camera up your ass a see if you hold your breath " true story but I don't remember it.....wife tells it often.

My mother did hers at 50 and 55, skipped the rest of scheduled colonoscopies and at 66 found out she had stage 4 cancer 6 years ago. Lived about 5 more months and passed away. Not skipping out on those procedures and she would probably still be alive. I had my first one at 41 because of family history and will for sure do them every 5 years from now on. Next year is my next and while I don’t look forward to them it isn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Thankfully I haven’t regretted anything I said under sedation. Yet. :)

I had the Colorgard test first. You poop in a bucket. Send it off FED EX. My doctor ordered it. The package came in the mail. I waited a month before opening it. After a month, Colorgard sent me a message promising a $50 gift card if I would send a sample. My sample came back positive, and I then had a colonoscopy.

So when you say it came back positive, does that mean you had (or have?) color cancer?

So when you say it came back positive, does that mean you had (or have?) color cancer?

A positive Colorguard test does not mean you have cancer. It means you need more testing. In my case, I needed a Colonoscopy. And yes, I had cancer. My cancer was in the last part of the large intestine, i.e., the Rectum. Since the Rectum is in a fixed position (compared to the small intestines that moves around a lot), I could have chemo and radiation before my surgery. The radiation and chemo shrunk my tumor from 5cm to 1.1cm. My surgery was a big deal. Men don't have much space between their hip bones, and working space is at a premimum. The doctor cut out the tumor and some intestine above and below the tumor, then he sewed the 2 ends back together. Next he seperated my large and small intestines, and brought my small intestine out to a bag (Ileostomy). My large intestine is resting and healing while I am going through another round of chemo (called for based on the size of the tumor when removed). Six to eight weeks after this 2nd round of chemo is finished, I can have restorative surgery to hook my plumbing back up. The good news is that all the pathology after surgery indicated I am cancer free. The chemo has some side effects, but they only last a couple of days (my chemo treatments are spaced 2 weeks apart). I should be through in mid-May. The bag is a bother. I never thought I would have to deal with this shit - pun intended. It doesn't effect what I can do very much. I am cautious about putting a strain on my abdomen due to concerns about a hernia around the openimg. I was able to put on my Currie control arms a couple of weeks ago. The biggest thing now is dealing with chemo side effects, the worst of which is low white blood cell count, which wreck my immune system. I had 65 years of good health and I took it for granite. I seldom went to the doctor. The most major thing in my life before cancer was a knee scope done out-patient. My wife was mad at me about the cancer. She said if I had been taking care of myself, I might not have had to go through all this. She is right. The morale of the story is don't be a baby - go to the doctor and follow his advice.

Last edited: