Another colonoscopy to not look forward to today

A positive Colorguard test does not mean you have cancer. It means you need more testing. In my case, I needed a Colonoscopy. And yes, I had cancer. My cancer was in the last part of the large intestine, i.e., the Rectum. Since the Rectum is in a fixed position (compared to the small intestines that moves around a lot), I could have chemo and radiation before my surgery. The radiation and chemo shrunk my tumor from 5cm to 1.1cm. My surgery was a big deal. Men don't have much space between their hip bones, and working space is at a premimum. The doctor cut out the tumor and some intestine above and below the tumor, then he sewed the 2 ends back together. Next he seperated my large and small intestines, and brought my small intestine out to a bag (Ileostomy). My large intestine is resting and healing while I am going through another round of chemo (called for based on the size of the tumor when removed). Six to eight weeks after this 2nd round of chemo is finished, I can have restorative surgery to hook my plumbing back up. The good news is that all the pathology after surgery indicated I am cancer free. The chemo has some side effects, but they only last a couple of days (my chemo treatments are spaced 2 weeks apart). I should be through in mid-May. The bag is a bother. I never thought I would have to deal with this shit - pun intended. It doesn't effect what I can do very much. I am cautious about putting a strain on my abdomen due to concerns about a hernia around the openimg. I was able to put on my Currie control arms a couple of weeks ago. The biggest thing now is dealing with chemo side effects, the worst of which is low white blood cell count, which wreck my immune system. I had 65 years of good health and I took it for granite. I seldom went to the doctor. The most major thing in my life before cancer was a knee scope done out-patient. My wife was mad at me about the cancer. She said if I had been taking care of myself, I might not have had to go through all this. She is right. The morale of the story is don't be a baby - go to the doctor and follow his advice.

Wow, the joys of getting older, right?

Well, I'm glad to at least hear that you're going to make it through this. So the question is, had you been going to the doctor regularly, would you have been able to catch it much sooner and therefore potentially have been better off? I know as cancer spreads it can be harder to deal with.

I can’t answer for him but in my case I’m not certain at all. What triggered my final diagnosis was me pointing out that their software wasn’t tracking weight loss over time. I’d cut back on refined sugar for a year to stave off diabetes, I wasn’t on a diet checking my weight regularly, and, I’d lost 85 lbs. instead of the 30-35 lbs I was trying to shed. I’m the one that sounded the alarm.

Wow, the joys of getting older, right?

Well, I'm glad to at least hear that you're going to make it through this. So the question is, had you been going to the doctor regularly, would you have been able to catch it much sooner and therefore potentially have been better off? I know as cancer spreads it can be harder to deal with.

I did not have any symptoms. The answer to your question is maybe. If I had gotten a Colonoscopy earlier, and if they had found pollops and removed them, I might not have had a tumor. Once I actually had cancer, my treatment would have been the same except that if discovered when the tumor was small, I may have not needed post surgery chemo. One of the rationalisations I used to avoid earlier testing is that you can be tested OK today and have Cancer tomorrow. It is kind of a crapshoot. Cancer suxs.

Cancer is graded by stages. Stage 1 is contained in one organ. Stage 2 is spread to 2 organs ( I had a 1 mm intrusion into muscle tissue so I was stage 2). Stage 3 is 2 organs and lymph nodes. Stage 4 is more organs. Stage 4 is often a death sentance. Tumors are graded by size. My tumor at 5cm was a T3. The radiation helped shrink the tumor down to 1.1. If I had had earlier treatment, the radiation could have been more effective.

Treatment side effects have been the hard part for me. I was not symptomatic before surgery. My surgery was relatively painless. A lot of the game is mental. You want surgery as quickly as possible. I thought the radiation was the worst part of my treatment. I felt like they were cooking my insides. Now that I am cancer free, it seems like the chemo is punishment.

All this whining is not normal for me. I am sharing in hope that youse guys and gals will do the right things regarding your own health. I have been blessed in many ways in my life. I feel lucky. The coon dogs are Thelma and Louise. 😁

Last edited:
I did not have any symptoms. The answer to your question is maybe. If I had gotten a Colonoscopy earlier, and if they had found pollops and removed them, I might not have had a tumor. Once I actually had cancer, my treatment would have been the same except that if discovered when the tumor was small, I may have not needed post surgery chemo. One of the rationalisations I used to avoid earlier testing is that you can be tested OK today and have Cancer tomorrow. It is kind of a crapshoot. Cancer suxs.

Cancer is graded by stages. Stage 1 is contained in one organ. Stage 2 is spread to 2 organs ( I had a 1 mm intrusion into muscle tissue so I was stage 2). Stage 3 is 2 organs and lymph nodes. Stage 4 is more organs. Stage 4 is often a death sentance. Tumors are graded by size. My tumor at 5cm was a T3. The radiation helped shrink the tumor down to 1.1. If I had had earlier treatment, the radiation could have been more effective.

Treatment side effects have been the hard part for me. I was not symptomatic before surgery. My surgery was relatively painless. A lot of the game is mental. You want surgery as quickly as possible. I thought the radiation was the worst part of my treatment. I felt like they were cooking my insides. Now that I am cancer free, it seems like the chemo is punishment.

All this whining is not normal for me. I am sharing in hope that youse guys and gals will do the right things regarding your own health. I have been blessed in many ways in my life. I feel lucky. The coon dogs are Thelma and Louise. 😁

View attachment 83563

Well it's good to hear this, because it means when I turn 40 I'll definitely heed your advice and be sure to get tested often.

My Dad is currently dying from stage 4 neck, throat, and lung cancer, which is due to a lifetime of smoking and drinking. They've had him on the lifetime max amounts of chemo, radiation, and immunotherapy. Unfortunately the cancer was too far along to cure. They did manage to buy him 2 extra years with all the treatments, but I'll tell you what, that chemo and radiation absolutely crippled him, seriously.

He's now on his death bed pretty much, and I'd estimate he won't live more than a few more months. It's painful to watch, because he had this lump on his neck for 4 years which he never went to the doctor about. Turns out that when he finally went, they told him it was stage 4 cancer. Had they caught it when it was just starting (you know, if he'd actually been going to the doctor), he would have more than likely had much better odds at beating it.

Well it's good to hear this, because it means when I turn 40 I'll definitely heed your advice and be sure to get tested often.

My Dad is currently dying from stage 4 neck, throat, and lung cancer,

Sorry to hear this about your Dad. One of the worst parts about getting "old" is losing the people who are important to you. Love your Dad while you can.

Reactions: Rich1961 and Chris
Sorry to hear this about your Dad. One of the worst parts about getting "old" is losing the people who are important to you. Love your Dad while you can.

I’m so very sad to hear about your dad, it’s a disease that affects everyone in the family through emotions and later guilt as you reconstruct what you might have done empathetically for your loved one.

Reactions: Rich1961 and Chris

My Dad is currently dying from stage 4 neck, throat, and lung cancer, which is due to a lifetime of smoking and drinking. They've had him on the lifetime max amounts of chemo, radiation, and immunotherapy. Unfortunately the cancer was too far along to cure. They did manage to buy him 2 extra years with all the treatments, but I'll tell you what, that chemo and radiation absolutely crippled him, seriously.

He's now on his death bed pretty much, and I'd estimate he won't live more than a few more months. It's painful to watch, because he had this lump on his neck for 4 years which he never went to the doctor about. Turns out that when he finally went, they told him it was stage 4 cancer. Had they caught it when it was just starting (you know, if he'd actually been going to the doctor), he would have more than likely had much better odds at beating it.

That's unfortunate Chris.

Both of my parents died miserably from lung cancer, both heavy smokers and drinkers.

That's unfortunate Chris.

Both of my parents died miserably from lung cancer, both heavy smokers and drinkers.

Yes, I've been watching him slowly die for the past 2 years, and I can tell you that the only word to describe it is absolutely miserable. He must take 50 pills a day, and the side effects from all the medication has him in a near vegetable state. In addition, he sleeps 20 hours a day, can no longer walk or support his weight, has lost all of his hair, can't eat foods or drink any fluids (it all has to be done through a feeding tube he has in his stomach).

I always feel bad saying it, but I wish he would just go already. Seeing him like this is worse than him not being around anymore.

The lesson I've learned from all this is that I'm very, very glad I never started smoking or having more than an occasional drink.

Reactions: Bird

View attachment 83563
Good looking coon dogs.... :) Do you coon hunt?

Good looking coon dogs.... :) Do you coon hunt?

These dogs were left on the road near where I live (out in the sticks). They are full blooded Blue Ticks. I traced the owner through a Craigslist ad. He had been trying to sell them, but gave up and turned them out. They were very affectionate and gentle. However, when you turned them out, them dogs would hunt. I had never hunted coon before, but I quickly figured out that hunting coon was a lot like hunting coon dogs. When I caught up to these dogs, they had a coon in the tree. It took a couple of weeks, but I found them a new home. I hated to let them go, but we already have 2 small dogs and we like to travel. It was fun while it lasted.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/534259480077327?view=permalink&id=976597962510141

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Twopoint
These dogs were left on the road near where I live (out in the sticks). They are full blooded Blue Ticks. I traced the owner through a Craigslist ad. He had been trying to sell them, but gave up and turned them out. They were very affectionate and gentle. However, when you turned them out, them dogs would hunt. I had never hunted coon before, but I quickly figured out that hunting coon was a lot like hunting coon dogs. When I caught up to these dogs, they had a coon in the tree. It took a couple of weeks, but I found them a new home. I hated to let them go, but we already have 2 small dogs and we like to travel. It was fun while it lasted.

View attachment 83656
People that do that need to be horsewhipped!

Can’t you try Cologuard?

I just did this. Took a crap in some container and sent it out. It came back okay. Not sure if I will do the colonoscopy or not. Probably some day. I am in my 50's. I lost my doctor due to my insurance is now not allowed by UPMC, which is where my doctor is. Had him for 30+ years, now I am without a doctor. Oh well.

Reactions: Chris
I just did this. Took a crap in some container and sent it out. It came back okay. Not sure if I will do the colonoscopy or not. Probably some day. I am in my 50's. I lost my doctor due to my insurance is now not allowed by UPMC, which is where my doctor is. Had him for 30+ years, now I am without a doctor. Oh well.

I have no idea how those tests work, but apparently they can tell from your stool if you have cancer or not?

They are pretty accurate, but as my doctor said, not as accurate as a colonoscopy. I will probably do it in a few more years when I move south.

Makes sense. I suspect as time goes on, things will get even more accurate, to the point where one day we won’t even need colonoscopies.

I went through this with my Dad 5 years ago. Melanoma got him. He was one of those who only went to the Doctor as his last choice. I understand how you feel and felt the same way. It was absolutely the hardest thing I'd ever experienced, and seeing him dwindle away like that was something I wouldn't want anyone else to go through but I know most of us do. The relief I felt when he passed was knowing he was no longer in any pain.

I'm not looking forward to my Colonoscopy on April 1st, but I know it must be done.

Reactions: Chris

View attachment 83563

Good luck with your recovery, and those are some good looking Blueticks.

I went through this with my Dad 5 years ago. Melanoma got him.

Sorry to hear that. I get checked yearly for that because I was a tennis player in Florida and played shirtless all the time and man I have one heck of a lot of moles and such on my skin. Once a year so far, but it might increase as it seems more marks are coming.

View attachment 83656
The Blue Ticks do like to hunt. We used them on bears and once in awhile on pigs.

Reactions: andy29847