Another Crank, No Start Thread

Igoo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here is a little background.
I have a new engine installed in January. I was driving when I had a miss-shift and over-reved the engine. My oil pressure went to 0 and it was missing very badly. I towed it home and saw that the hold down tab on the distributor broke. I replaced the distributor (after market, Mopar is discontinued). Now I have a crank, no start condition.
Here is a update on my no crank no start saga. I have replaced the crank position sensor (Mopar). Replaced the distributor. I have spark at the coil and each spark plug. I replaced the spark plugs last night and It has new spark plug wires new in March. My fuel pressure is 55 psi. All injectors are working (checked with injector noid light). Last night I was checking timing. I had the #1 spark plug out and I was bringing the engine up on TDC on the compression stroke. I forgot to remove the coil wire and the engine fired and ran without the #1 spark plug in. I shut the engine off and It went back to crank no start.
I have read every thread on the internet and I still can't get this thing to start!
I don't have a engine scanner, so I can't see what is happening in real time. I would have pulled my hair out if I had any.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Igoo65

Last edited:
It did fire with the #1 out and when you put #1 back it does exactly the same thing except it doesn't fire? I guess that's what crank no start means but you never know. Have you tried pulling the #1 wire and trying again? Have you tried pulling the #1 plug and trying again. Makes no sense but sometimes repeating a process that made it work will show you what little thing you are missing like the loose wire or ground mentioned above.

I'd think there must be something you leaned on or pressed against that changed when you pulled the spark plug. Try retracing your steps there and see what is in your way that could've moved.

It sounds like you should have spark fuel and air the three components of combustion. But there must be something that's not firing right.

There isn't an old alarm system in the mix giving you trouble by chance is there?

I don't think there was ever an alarm system on my Jeep. I will retrace my steps and see if I can find what happened.
Thanks.

Well I tried all of everyones suggestions and still I can't get this thing started. I guess it will be going to the professionals tomorrow. Maybe they can figure it out. :confused:

No to ask the stupid question, but did you mix up where your plug wires go to each cylinder? Doesn't really match up with the running with one out though.

It's Alive! I took my Jeep over to Tony at Car Worxs in Colorado Springs (Jimmy from Edgewater 4X4 suggested him) Jimmy is in Canon City and didn't have time to look at it). Tony found that the harness connector that connects to the crank position sensor had some cracked wires. Also to get it started, he had to unbolt the distributor, rotate it until is started. He put a timing light on it and made sure it was sitting at TDC. He said that I had it on the #1 cylinder at TDC, but until he rotated the distributor it wouldn't start. He set it at TDC and it is purring like a kitten!
Thanks for everyones help!
Igoo65