troyston

Well here we go again...

A few weeks ago I had a crank/no start (and then intermittent stalling, it started up the next day) issue that I resolved by replacing the TPS (aftermarket then OEM, learned that lesson...), the spark plugs, and cleaning up some ground leads. I also cleaned up and tested the clockspring (yes, I was super careful to make sure it was turned properly) and did a bit of rewiring to some of the sensor grounds, cause when I looked at the wiring, what was there was pretty ratty. Not sure any one of those did it, but it fired up and ran okay for a few weeks, occasionally would have a stall at a red light or stop sign when idling, but it would fire right back up with no issues. I was never able to recreate the stalls by wiggling or playing with any of the wiring anywhere. Here's the Original Thread.

Today, I was driving it down a dirt road and it cut out again, this time it was in gear and with my foot on the gas. Wasn't able to start it up at all. Starter fluid didn't help. I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 44 psi, checked compression and it was good (all between 130 and 150 psi) in all cylinders, I haven't gotten any codes, and the battery voltage is good. I'm kind of lost on what to check next, but I don't really want to go to a shop cause I made the decision that I was gonna learn and fix everything that happened with this Jeep and I don't give up that easy. (and it's a holiday weekend, so not sure many would be open anyways).

I tested the coil rail thing a few weeks ago by putting ohmmeter leads in the various holes and it seemed to have continuity and resistance in the right spots (don't remember which ones, but there was a youtube video I watched and it matched up). Could there be a timing issue? I would suspect CMP or CKP, but I haven't gotten any codes for either (but I did have a P1391 intermittent CMP or CKP code a few weeks ago too — hasn't come back yet). All the sensors I've checked have good 5v supply and a good ground. Pretty sure there isn't an exhaust blockage, we put a few rags in the tailpipe and they shot right out while cranking (weirdly enough it would almost sputter like it was gonna start, and then it would shoot them out and quit). I'm pretty much lost at this point.
Its a 2000 TJ 4.0 Sport

TL;DR: Jeep stalled, cranks but won't start, no codes, all sensors have good supply and ground, fuel pressure and compression are good.

Also I noticed the PCM is new as of 2016, looks like it's an OEM one, installed by a dealership, which suggests that someone in the past has probably had issues like this before.

Next on the list for me:
Manually checking the CKP
Manually checking the CMP
Drinking a few beers
Making sure the coil rail is actually sending electricity (pretty redneck way but if it works...)
Finding out a way to check the timing?

Any ideas anyone has would be super helpful. Once I get this fixed, it's gonna make one hell of a write-up on troubleshooting🤦‍♂️

This happened to me. I checked and changed this sensor , that sensor etc and still my Jeep would just stall. It would start again in about 45 minutes. I let it run in my driveway for a while not under any load and eventually stalled and just cranked with no start. I came across somewhere about the ASD relay and swapped it for another like the horn relay (all the same). and lo and behold the jeep ran for hours in my driveway. Just purchased a few relays and never had a problem since. Might work for you

Reactions: troyston
This happened to me. I checked and changed this sensor , that sensor etc and still my Jeep would just stall. It would start again in about 45 minutes. I let it run in my driveway for a while not under any load and eventually stalled and just cranked with no start. I came across somewhere about the ASD relay and swapped it for another like the horn relay (all the same). and lo and behold the jeep ran for hours in my driveway. Just purchased a few relays and never had a problem since. Might work for you
I’ll have to give that a try. Did you get any codes when that happened?

If your crank position sensor is original, it's overdue for failure. Do you have spark?
Nope, I just checked. (with a good relay in the ASD slot)

I'll see about checking the CKP next, the CMP is good as far as I can tell (bumping the key a few times got me 5v from the signal wire). Unfortunately I don't have any codes to point me in a direction, but it is narrowed down to somehow spark is not getting to the engine.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 2.24.48 PM.png

Little bit of a weird way to do it, but I verified that I had a good ground connection from the pipe. No spark coming out of the coils. (it would be obvious like in this video if there was)

I had this problem and just replaced th
If your crank position sensor is original, it's overdue for failure. Do you have spark?
This is what I did. Mine cut out a couple times. Once, had it towed home. Started right back up when it got off the truck. Really ticked me off. Replaced the crank positioning sensor and have not had a problem since.

Word of caution, don't get mad and pry on the thing if it doesn't wiggle loose. Mine snapped off! I had just enough of a nub sticking up that my small vice grips could get a bite and I wiggled it out. Really close call to a butt load of work if it had snapped flush.

Reactions: troyston
I had this problem and just replaced th

This is what I did. Mine cut out a couple times. Once, had it towed home. Started right back up when it got off the truck. Really ticked me off. Replaced the crank positioning sensor and have not had a problem since.

Word of caution, don't get mad and pry on the thing if it doesn't wiggle loose. Mine snapped off! I had just enough of a nub sticking up that my small vice grips could get a bite and I wiggled it out. Really close call to a butt load of work if it had snapped flush.

Thanks for the help, y'all two were right. It was the CKP. When I tested it like they do in this video, it stayed at 5v the whole time instead of going up and down. I replaced it with an aftermarket (not by choice, dealership isn't open over holiday weekend, and it'll be enough to get it home), and it fired right up. Of course, I managed to crack a spark plug somehow and so it's misfiring fairly bad, but I can fix that in the morning.

Oh — and BTW to anyone reading — be careful when replacing the CKP, I managed to pull the little slot cover thing it goes into out and drop it in a place I couldn't see. I got spent 20 or 30 minutes trying to figure out why I was able to see into my bell housing and another 10 or 15 messing around with a flashlight trying to find the piece (it was on top of the transmission).
IMG_3561.jpg

Little piece that the CKP fits into - no word about it in any of the FSMs or the Chilton, but it definitely exists.

Reactions: Hound Dog